Piracy ratio is about 20:1 ?!?

I meant when it came out. Yet people bought it like crazy. We had different numbers on piracy ratio also, but no matter which number is right, we can be sure that the majority of pirates can play those games on their system otherwise they'd not download them.

Actually, they probably download them, then try them on their machines and either they work or they don't. Just because WOW is extremely popular and a MMORPG that is virtually impossible doesn't mean that piracy is why other titles aren't popular. BG2 sold over 1MM copies and the online component of it was rarely used. You're being very guilt of bad logic in making that assumption.

Hehe yeah, Ultima VII and those DOS games was horrible to get to play! But DOS was the prime days of PC gaming so many fantastic games came out, and Ultima 7 sold well! Enough to found both U8 and UO. Acctually those games were much more complicated to run than todays games they even required a boot disk and you could forget about graphical instruction setups, and you could get an error like Violation accses memory B9, most people had no clue what to do. Ultima VII had a copy protection requiring the manual hehe, you had to look stuff up in the manual to answer certain questions. Unfortunately pirates also included a text file with the manual for these games at that time, it was a common way for copy protection anyway, and piracy was not as widespread at that time thanks to the internet not being widespread.

I completely disagree that piracy was not wide spread. Copying disks was easy enough and all my friends traded games. My brother and my cousins traded games as well via the mail. I used to log into dozens of different BBS's and download games. It may not have been as easy, but it was definitely widespread.

But today we have directX , we have windows GUI's , we have openGL, we have openAL , and we have fmod. Which works immidietely with most windows plug-and play devices. We can make great auto-configuration and at the very least reccoemnd a setting low , medium , or high. The guys who want to get the optimal out of the PC game might need to do some hacking. But this optimal would be much better than we could get out of the console.

Various video cards (even the same chipset but different manufacturers) end up having problems that seem almost random with DirectX and openGL, same with other hardware. The problem may have changed, but the difficulty is ever bit as much there as it was a decade ago, and probably more so as there are more things to go wrong. I had a 7600GTS that would run one game requiring DirectX9 fine, but then turn into a slide show on another! Sure, that is a hardware problem, but the point remains that it is a problem the manufacturer has to be aware of when they program, and if there is a solution, program around it.

I wrote a very simple auto-configure for one of my games, it didn't take me more than a week, it was not that long ago. Worked great.

For a very simple game, I'm sure it does.

Check which model of graphics card, for example Geforce 7 series, 8 series, or ATI 18x 19x 20x etc etc series, check the amount of memory of the card, check AA , support, check AF support, check shader version. If memory lower than 256 MB set low res texture no AA, if 512 MB and card better than 7 series 18x series, set medium texures, if card 8 series, or 20x series and 1024 MB memoery set high res textures. I have written a much better one for future use. Which you'll get to try out later hopefully!

Sure it takes some time to write that, but time a developer could have, and it is technically possible.

And you'll still run into issues with different manufacturers with the same specs having different quarks. Different brands of memory on the main board can cause different hiccups in games, etc. All the time in the world isn't going to allow a programmer to accommodate every little difference.

And DRM often isn't that hard to install on a game, from a programming perspective. Developers use outsourced options often, which add cost, but aren't really taking away from development, and if they use internal, it generally is something they use for multiple games, so the cost isn't that high per title.

The simple fact is that DRM doesn't affect the amount of time programmers (at least good one) have to debug and optimize games.

MAybe take a look at how many MMORPGs there are in the PC market, and how many of them have a player base that are willing to pay each month.

It's pretty simple. The HIGH end of MMORPG sales is an amazingly high number compared to offline games, even at their height. As such people are going to always try for that silver bullet. Most MMORPG's don't have anything close to the success of EQ, WOW, UO, or EVE.

It's like the movies. There's much more money to be made in a blockbuster movie than there is in a blockbuster TV show, yet most movies don't make tons of money, but they still keep making them, hoping for the next blockbuster.

It sounds more like the argument is that from your perspective MMORPG's are killing the PC, non online, market than piracy, because the simple fact is that since off-line games don't offer the type of community that draws people in month after month, long after they have explored the world or completed some quests, no off-line game, piracy or not is going to hit the number of sales of the big MMORPG's, much less the total revenue including fees.

BG2 sold over 1MM copies and the online component of it was rarely used. You're being very guilt of bad logic in making that assumption.

Yes, who had the internet connection to download 4 CD's at that time? not that many.

piracy or not is going to hit the number of sales of the big MMORPG's, much less the total revenue including fees.

No I am using MMORPG's as an example that there are still PC gamers, the single player genre is dying because of piracy. People that plays WOW also plays other games, at least the ones I talk to, they download those games while playing WOW for free. But they pay for WOW since they have to. My point is that MMORPGs shows that there is a big market for PC gamers. Many of which also play single player games, they just do not buy them!

I am sorry if I am getting a bit heated up about this debate. But a lot of people are still trying to justify piracy and keep saying it doesn't hurt the business, and PC single player gaming is killing itself. Many people do not even feel the least bit of guilt while pirating.

It is everyone who pirates the games ( even games they love ) instead of buying them that is killing PC gaming. I am very convinced about this, and not because a publishers said it but because of all my personal experiance, all resaerch and all facts I have found point in this direction. It might very well be I am completely wrong, in that case I am surely making a fool of myself.

Future will tell. The near future ? how many great PC games was announced this E3 so far?

France, I was warned not to drink their water or I'd get sick. If the water is fine, how come people still buy bottled water, really hard for me to believe. Why not just take a bottle and put water inside it :S So they are fine to pay for water which they could have for free legally, but they want to break the law to play games?
I'm living close to the French border, have lots of friends in France and I was countless times there on holiday. I guess depending on where you go you might find regions where the water isn't that great, especially the further south you go, but it's an exception really.
And as I said it's not the only product you can get cheaper at home... the coffee, remember? It's the service, the convenience, the social event that does the trick... not just the product. You CAN get people to buy something they could get cheaper somewhere else, you just have to convince them that what you offer is worth it.

Tell me which PC single player game sold 6 million?
Apart from WoW and Lineage 2 (due to all the asien people), what MMO did? The overwhelming majority of MMOs stay well below those numbers. There are games like Half-Life 2, Doom 3, The Sims, etc. that are not MMOs in the traditional sense and which sold exceptional well (several millions - all of them).
Has it ever occured to you that games with a online multiplayer component simply appeal to more people and therefore more people buy them? Take WoW for example. For many people this was not only their first MMO, it was their first pc game. Now imagine you'd develop a single player game which worked exactly like WoW and which people were not be able to copy, do you seriously believe that you would have the same potential customer base as WoW?

The point of the monthly fees was that people are willing to pay and keep paying, if they cannot pirate, and people have money and can afford paying. A lot of people also complain how horrible it is first I have to buy the MMORPG and after that I have to keep paying to play, really horrible, but so many still do it. If you could pirate MMORPGS, how many players do you think would still pay? (and with pirate I do not mean to play on a warez serves with lacking functionality that might go down any minute )
13 or 14 bucks are not the same as 40 or 40 bucks. For people who like MMOs 14 bucks mean a month of entertainment. Most single player games offer like what? 20? 40? 100 hours tops, I guess.
When it comes to money no one claims that piracy is not hurting the pc single player market. What I'm saying is that it does not hurt the single player market to an extent that developers want to make us believe. If some teenager is pirating 5 single player games a month then that amounts to a sum of over 200 €. And now you come and say people are paying 14 € for WoW, so they must have the money to pay. There are people who pirate movies, mp3s, games everything. The stuff they download is worth so much they simply couldn't pay for all that hence they could not buy it - but if they could not buy it anyway what harm has been done?
You're asking the wrong questions. You're asking how many players would still pay if you could pirate a MMO? The right question is - why the hell are people willing to spend 14 bucks each month on playing MMOs?
Again piracy IS hurting the market - but moaning and whining won't help. That's what people like Crytek do. Instead of asking themselves why comparable games like Half-Life 2 or Doom 3 sold over 4 million copies they're simply assuming that their own game was pirated more often. That these games had something their own game didn't have, were markted or distributed in ways their own game was not does not even cross their mind.

I agree with you that piracy is hurting the single player market, but it's also true you're only looking at the four biggest MMO's while you're forgetting the hundreds of ones who aren't faring as well.

It's also true that people might not buy four games for 150€, but paying for a year of WoW gives you the same amount of money, and I'm sure not all people who play WoW play 100 hours a month.

Moaning and whining might not help too much, but saying Half-Life 2 sold well doesn't help your case since it's multiplayer component is more important than its single-player one and they have their CD codes which can't play on steam at the same time.

However, there is also the consideration that piracy might not be the only factor or not even the leading factor. It's very possible that other factors play a role, people might not like single player games as much as multiplayer, people might not be willing to fork over 40€ in one go and might prefer small installments.

I think the best idea would be the online distribution of single player games with a yearly subscription to a database of games which you should be able to play from the server. This would remove the annoyances of piracy and would also provide a steadier income than a one time fee for each and every game.

I agree with you that piracy is hurting the single player market, but it's also true you're only looking at the four biggest MMO's while you're forgetting the hundreds of ones who aren't faring as well.
Actually I'm not, since that was exactly my point. You might have another look at my posts. It's what was saying the whole time.

It's also true that people might not buy four games for 150€, but paying for a year of WoW gives you the same amount of money
That's some kind of twisted logic. If you add up the the money for WoW for a whole year you have to do the same for single player games. If you had to buy four games every month over one year you would end up with 1800 €, not just 150.

and I'm sure not all people who play WoW play 100 hours a month.
Probably, but even if they play just 1 hour a month, 1 hour of WoW will still be cheaper than buying a new single player game.

Moaning and whining might not help too much, but saying Half-Life 2 sold well doesn't help your case since it's multiplayer component is more important than its single-player one and they have their CD codes which can't play on steam at the same time.
You know it's funny - if single player game sells well, people find an unlimited number of different reasons why it was successful. It had multiplayer, multiplayer was more important than single player, it was too big to be pirated, it took pirates too long to get a working copy out, etc.. If a single player game sells badly, people come up with exactly one reason: piracy! That's bs... Crysis has multiplayer as well, you know. There are other factors that influence sales and they seem to be much more important.

However, there is also the consideration that piracy might not be the only factor or not even the leading factor. It's very possible that other factors play a role, people might not like single player games as much as multiplayer, people might not be willing to fork over 40€ in one go and might prefer small installments.
Exactly. And there are a lot of other factors believe me.

I think the best idea would be the online distribution of single player games with a yearly subscription to a database of games which you should be able to play from the server. This would remove the annoyances of piracy and would also provide a steadier income than a one time fee for each and every game.

Well, if customers accept such a model. Looking at what happened when Bioware announced their online authentification for Mass Effect, I seriously doubt that. I'm all in for it, and I think it's the future.

Why not just take a bottle and put water inside it :S

If you find a free, non-commercialized spring, then okay, no problem.

But springs that are free have died out. They all belong to companies with few exceptions.

And I'm speaking of springs with drinkable water. Mineral water, mostly.

Springs of brooks and rivers are not considered "drinkable water".

Many of them does not even own a console, but one of them bought a WII, he wanted a PS3 but it is not possible to pirate games for the PS3 yet so he bought a WII. But they love to play games, PC games, some of them never bought a game in their life. Some of them only bought PC games before you could download them for free, due to broadband not being here.

Sounds exactly like the gamers I know. Most pirate up to 95-100% of the games they play. They even have money but never buy anything except one or two multiplayer games. Some consider buying after they have finished som game they really like i.e witcher, mass effect, etc but usually its just a tiny knock of bad conscience that is quickly forgotten. The only one I know who doesnt pirate is a ps3 owner.

The usual excuses why people argue for their piracy habit is:

1) Princible
2) Games are so bad nowadays that they are not worth buying
3) I cant afford

But springs that are free have died out. They all belong to companies with few exceptions.

Lots of free springs in my town. :) I have found few even deep in the forest trail. People fetch water from them with big canisters. Im happy with tap alone though.

Yes, who had the internet connection to download 4 CD's at that time? not that many.

Enough did. I downloaded several huge movie files and games back then. I had high speed internet in '99.

No I am using MMORPG's as an example that there are still PC gamers, the single player genre is dying because of piracy.
Yet you haven't proven that piracy is the issue.

You logic is this:

1) Piracy exists
2) A few MMORPG's garner millions of subsribers
3) MMORPG's are difficult to pirate (though not impossible, look at the RunUO crowd)
4) Single player games don't sell as well as MMORPG's
5) Therefore piracy is why single player games don't sell as well as MMORPG's.

You've take a few facts and decided they are perfectly correlated without anything facts to back them up.

You've ignore the following:
1) Many MMORPG's don't sell any better than equal quality single player games
2) MMORPG's offer something that doesn't exist in single player games, piracy or not: Community
3) You ignore that non MMORPG's, like Neverwinter Nights, sold extremely well, even above the average MMORPG.

Hence your assertion that piracy is not just the main cause, but the only cause in the difference between single player and MMORPG sales is completely flawed.

I am sorry if I am getting a bit heated up about this debate. But a lot of people are still trying to justify piracy and keep saying it doesn't hurt the business, and PC single player gaming is killing itself. Many people do not even feel the least bit of guilt while pirating.

I don't support piracy. I don't like piracy, and I'm not trying to justify it. I'm not even saying it doesn't hurt gaming. It does, even if it is not in sales, it does in word of mouth misconceptions when pre-release versions get out there.

But it isn't the sole reason, and not even the primary reason PC gaming may might be dying. If most of the people pirating aren't going to buy anyway, even if it wasn't available, then while they may suck as human beings, they aren't directly hurting sales.

Sorry about the confusion but I was speaking to both you and GG.

About paying 1800€, that's completely wrong, especially since people wouldn't buy 3-4 games month. They'd buy 3-4 games a year. MMOs however are with monthly payments.

You keep bringing up Crysis, you do know that Crysis isn't the only FPS out there.
Half-Life probably sold a million times better than it because it was better and/or more famous thanks to CS I. But it probably sold a lot better than many single player game who did lose out because of piracy.

I know it's not generally accepted now, but it's the way to take away most of piracy ...

Enough did. I downloaded several huge movie files and games back then. I had high speed internet in '99.

Finland '99 I still paid 200€ telephone bills for 56k modem access and it was the only option at the time. Each connection cost 10 cents + more for each minute. It was so slow that nobody d/l movies back then - instead people visited each other to burn copies/trade games.

The first cd burner owners in '96-98 even managed to make som money by burning lots of game rips into cds and then selling them to people. Cost was around 40€ per warez-cd iirc - there were even brand names like "Hot Warez" and they had pretty much everything from duke 3d to fallout. Im not sure how they got their games - perhaps through university broadbands that were the first fast connections.

The cabel broadband which I used after that didnt arrive until year or two later. As soons as it did people pretty much stopped switching cds physically.

If you lived in NYC though you might have had broadband earlier who knows.

Last edited:
I read on Gaming Steve´s blog that Blizzard would come up with a CP / DRM solution for SC2 and D3 which makes the Mass Effect / Spore stuff look harmless in comparison.
He is usually correct about everything Blizzard, so I´m looking forward to seeing what they´ll do.
My guess would be a new BattleNet with online verification even for SP every time you start the game. Maybe even in combination with the forced download of small file every time.

You guys keep repeasting the same stuff for a whole page now, without noticing that you are all saying almost the same. Maybe we should look at it from a different perspective.

Let´s assume piracy goes away. Peter Molyneux himself snips with his fingers and pooof, piracy is gone. What would happen to the sales of PC games?

My guess:
- MMO: no significant difference.
- SP: Every game sells (a) a few copies more from a top-down perspective, for example 550.000 units instead of 500.000. And (b) a lot of copies more from bottom-up, for example 10% more games which count for royalties and recouping.
- AAA hit games with big marketing would sell much more. Let´s face it, Joe Average buys what he is told to.
- B games still would have a hard time to find a market. They need to be laser focused on their target audience or they´ll bomb with a high probability. The current trend is "AAA or C". Stardock is making B games, and they very good at it. Many others aren´t.

Let´s assume piracy goes away. Peter Molyneux himself snips with his fingers and pooof, piracy is gone. What would happen to the sales of PC games?

Depends on the game. If its the right kind of good game (replayeble, multiplayer, good) we could be talking millions more. Just look at blizzard diablo and its first battle.net. People had to buy the game to get access to it. And the game and its addon sold over seven million and its still on the top selling lists.

More importantly though the non AAA games could get more sales meaning there would be more variety in the game market - and thats exactly what som more hardcore gamers like us are wanting these days. Those who pirate often buy few of the best AAA games and then pirate the rest - especially the non AAA ones.

Im happy with the new DRM if its effective. Games industry depends on the sales of their games - they dont have alternative ways to make money like movies/music do.

I read on Gaming Steve´s blog that Blizzard would come up with a CP / DRM solution for SC2 and D3 which makes the Mass Effect / Spore stuff look harmless in comparison.
He is usually correct about everything Blizzard, so I´m looking forward to seeing what they´ll do.
My guess would be a new BattleNet with online verification even for SP every time you start the game. Maybe even in combination with the forced download of small file every time.

He didnt say anything except that it makes mass effect / spore stuff look harmless. They must have somthing big coming - blizzard has always been brilliant with their DRM. I wonder how many fans will refuse to buy the game on principle.

Last edited:
Ok, guys my main point with brining up MMORPG's was to show that there is a gaming audiance that has enough money to buy single player games, and good enough computers to play single player games. To ask if WOW was single player how many would buy it? this kind of question is pointless. I have also tried WoW to play it as a single player game is really boring. There are much better single player offerings out. It was made to be played togheter.

Many WOWers I know would stop to play WOW for 40 hours when a new great SP game came out, until they played it through, and after that get back to WOW. Some of you guys still appear to think pircay is just a small factor in demise of PC gaming, and you think the publishers are wrong to keep adding stronger and stronger piracy protection. Do you guys think all the publishers are stupid and they all add CP just because they made a wrong analysis of the market? even Blizzard who is the king of PC gaming ? They know it hurts how many games they sell. But they still put it there. The guys behind Galactic Civilization, was strongly against CP so their game was sold without CP. But their next game had it, they were very dissapointed by how many copies they sold, and how many people pirated it, and CP was added to their next game.

Yes you did, but the majority did not have yet.

The first cd burner owners in '96-98 even managed to make som money by burning lots of game rips into cds and then selling them to people. Cost was around 40€ per warez-cd iirc - there were even brand names like "Hot Warez" and they had pretty much everything from duke 3d to fallout.

Yes the irony, those pirates had been a long ever since the C64 days and earned a lot of money by selling pirate copies, people were willing to pay for games illegally, instead of buying the more expensive version and doing the right thing. But as soon as people had broadband and could download it themselves. Those pirate guys lost all their income, so they turned to modding consoles and selling pirated stuff for them instead. Maybe they could save the PC gaming by making it easier to pirate for consoles? A weird world.

If you find a free, non-commercialized spring, then okay, no problem.

And I'm speaking of springs with drinkable water. Mineral water, mostly.

Springs of brooks and rivers are not considered "drinkable water".

HEhe, this was a more comical relief from my part. Your point would be that the spring water tastes better or is more healthy than the tap water right? and that is why people buy it. Tap water in Sweden is better than many of the bottled offerings, I had american visitors here and they only wanted to drink water from the Tap, and kept saying like in US we cannot drink tap water, and the water from the Tap here is even better than the bottled spring water we could buy there hehe.

But this example is still a little bit :S It is far from piracy. People get a product of the same quality for free while pirating but it is illegal.

People are willing to pay for a better product ( spring water in a bottle ) compared to not as good ( tap water ) at least this is the case there.

So the question in that case would be if the spring water was of equal quality as the tap water? who'd buy bottled water?

People pay for coffee for the social event? What do you suggest the single player game company does in that case? Start selling the game in a café so people could play it togheter? Diablo 3 single player Coffee come here to play Diablo 3 togheter with your friends. Instead of playing it by yourself at home. The environment here is much better, so do not have your friends come over to your place to play it togheter it is better to play it here! There is already such a place called internet café but people mostly go there to play MMORPGs or multiplayer games? oops. hmm. So how to solve the problem for a single player game?

Last edited:
About paying 1800€, that's completely wrong, especially since people wouldn't buy 3-4 games month. They'd buy 3-4 games a year. MMOs however are with monthly payments.
That's the whole point. If people would buy 3-4 games a year, but pirate 18 or more games a the pirated copy/lost sale ratio cannot be 1:1. It has too be much lower. I simply cannot assume that people would buy 18 games a year on top of paying monthly fees for WoW. There is a limit to what people will be able and willing to spend on entertainment.

You keep bringing up Crysis, you do know that Crysis isn't the only FPS out there.
Half-Life probably sold a million times better than it because it was better and/or more famous thanks to CS I. But it probably sold a lot better than many single player game who did lose out because of piracy.
I keep bringing up Crisis, because originally this thread was about Crisis. You make one mistake: You assume that I said piracy has no effect on sales. But that's not true. In several posts within this very thread I explicitly stated that piracy has an effect, but that it is not as bad as the industry wants to make us believe. It's a myth that developing for the pc inevitably leads to losing money. I mean Crytek is the best example. Crytek is moaning that they sold only 1.5 million copies of Crisis so far (it's certainly not the end of the road, I'm sure they'll sell a few more copies). Now fact is, that 1.5 million is not even bad in terms of exclusive pc titles. It's true there are games that sold more, but the overwhelming majority of pc games sells less copies. If I take that number of 1.5 million and multiply it with the exorbitant high price that Crytek asked for their game it becomes quite clear, that neither Crytek nor their publisher lost money here - quite the opposite.

Ok, guys my main point with brining up MMORPG's was to show that there is a gaming audiance that has enough money to buy single player games, and good enough computers to play single player games. To ask if WOW was single player how many would buy it? this kind of question is pointless. I have also tried WoW to play it as a single player game is really boring. There are much better single player offerings out. It was made to be played togheter.
No it's not a pointless question unless you do not understand what I am aiming at. You said: MMOs sell well, because they cannot be pirated. I tell you: They sell well because the online environment offers something that makes people want to play the game. What I wanted to show is that the conclusion that something sells well, just because it cannot be pirated is wrong. If you turn WoW into a single player game, even if it could not be pirated, you'd probably not sell many copies, as you said yourself, because it would be a very boring game. Hence it cannot be piracy alone that influences sales, there MUST be other factors. The assumption that every game must sell well, if it doesn't it must be due to piracy is wrong from a logical pojnt of view.

Many WOWers I know would stop to play WOW for 40 hours when a new great SP game came out, until they played it through, and after that get back to WOW.
Did all of them? How do you know all this without the smallest bit of empirical data? Isn't it much more probable that the emergence of several big commercial and countless free-to-play MMOs since Ultima Online is an increasing competition to the single player market?

Some of you guys still appear to think pircay is just a small factor in demise of PC gaming, and you think the publishers are wrong to keep adding stronger and stronger piracy protection. Do you guys think all the publishers are stupid and they all add CP just because they made a wrong analysis of the market? even Blizzard who is the king of PC gaming ? They know it hurts how many games they sell. But they still put it there.

Yes, the content industry is stupid and it has vividly proven it in the past. Take for example the music industry. For a very long time the music industry thought that harsher DRMS mean more sales. First they tried to protect CDs, then they tried to protect MP3s. Still, sales numbers kept falling. Nowadays new CDs and new MP3s usually only have mild DRMS or none at all. Strangely enough it doesn't seem to hurt the industry much, because in the last few years the music industry is doing better again.
The content industry has an interest in portraying the piracy problem in an exaggerated way because it helps them to push a more restricted copyright. Latest example of the movie industry: Students are responsible for 40% of all illegal downloads. The music industry's very own LEK study proves it. So they wen't to congress and told them that they should put some pressure on colleges and universities. A lot of congressmen fell for it and asked them to do something against their networks being used to download stuff. That was in 2005... now in 2008 the MPAA admited that the LEK study might have been incorrect and that students are only responsible for 15% of all movie downloads...
And that's always the case if you look at the numbers that the content industry presents. Sooner or later it turns out they are not what they seem to be. In 2004 the BSA for the first time published their losses through piracy. A lot of academics and journalists said straight from the beginning that the BSA is greatly exaggerating. Meanwhile even the BSA has admitted that what they publish is the retail value lost, but not the real value.
You asked if all the publishers are stupid, now I'm asking you why they should be right and all the academics and experts should be wrong?

People pay for coffee for the social event? What do you suggest the single player game company does in that case? Start selling the game in a café so people could play it togheter? Diablo 3 single player Coffee come here to play Diablo 3 togheter with your friends. Instead of playing it by yourself at home. The environment here is much better, so do not have your friends come over to your place to play it togheter it is better to play it here! There is already such a place called internet café but people mostly go there to play MMORPGs or multiplayer games? oops. hmm. So how to solve the problem for a single player game?
As I said before, new business models might not even be necessary if the content industry would agree on an alternative model of compensation together with a more liberal copyright. Read the whole thread then you'll know what I'm talking about. Now, even if the industry does not want it there are possibilities to get additional revenues. I don't want to go into details, but just think about rental services, episodic content, community building, and so on - the possibilities are endless. Take for example Neverwinter Nights, great community building there. NWN sold great, NWN2 sold great, both games can be pirated, and still people buy them. It's true it has a multiplayer component, but let's face it - you can implement a multiplayer component into pretty much every game. We know things like level editors and free-to-download content help to sell stuff. Look at Valve's Steam. They do not only sell multiplayer games, they sell all kinds of games. They offer service and convenience, and on top of that they'll give you free stuff. Right now there is only a couple of rental services (which, with a few exception offer only mediocre games), and none of them is run by a big publisher. All these companies that manage to forge a community and support their products over a very long time seem to be doing fairly well.

Yup, people wouldn't buy all the games they're pirating, but even if the ratio isn't 1:1, you don't know how high or low it is and so I believe that piracy is still quite a big factor here, even though I don't believe it's the biggest one as GG is saying.

You guys keep repeasting the same stuff for a whole page now, without noticing that you are all saying almost the same. Maybe we should look at it from a different perspective.

Very good idea !

I'd say that the minority of gamers who want demanding games would still be neglkected, and the industry would still focus on high-selling titles.

Smaller developers, however, would perhaps return to make games that are directed towards a minority of gamers.

Why ? Because a gone piracy would guarantee a certain number of Sales. Just like consoles do.

The point, imho, is, that there are far more innovative and therefore "risky" games for consoles, because of the guaranteed sales. As long as console games aren't copied in the same factor like PC games, the guaranteed income is much, much higher than for "risky" PC games. Imho.

As much as I like different perspectives, I seriously doubt that answering that question will actually contribute much to the debate of piracy. I'm not saying it's not interesting to think about it, but it excludes important factors from the discussion. Piracy is just one side of this debate, copyright is the other. But if piracy isn't possible you don't need copyright.
People have to understand that there are things that are more important than playing games and your customer rights are such a thing. The content industry is constantly asking for fair treatment, but is unwilling to grant it themselves. Take DMRS like MS Playsforsure. At the beginning of the year MS just said, "well guys, that's it - we won't support this DRMS any longer, so next time you change your hardware configuration you'll be fucked because our licensing servers will be down". Is that fair?
Very often in this debate we heard sentences like pirating the digital product is the same as stealing a physical product - that's what the industry says as well. Then I'm asking you why don't I have the same rights to do with a digital product what I can do with a physical product? Take the Amazon-Kindle e-book reader... know what Amazon prohibits their kindle customers? They are not allowed to sell their ebooks, they are not allowed to give them to others, they are not allowed to lend them to someone else, they are not even allowed to give it to someone as a fucking gift. So almost everything I can do with a physical copy of a book I'm not allowed to do with a digital one. It will be interesting to see at what point exactly they also add "reading the e-book" to the list of things that are not allowed...
That's what people have to understand - the same technology that allows people to pirate shit on a grant scale allows the industry to have a lot more control over the products they sell.
All this DRMS crap concerns not only books and music, it also concerns games. You have limited activation, online authentification, and all the other crap that makes pc gaming more and more a pain in the ass. And the only one who has trouble with all that shit is the honest customer, not the pirate. The industry knows that exactly well, but they do it anyway. They do it because they know it helps them to sell more copies

Last edited:
But how do we change people into buying things that are good and that deserve to bought instead of copying them ?

Do you have any idea on that ?

Back
Top Bottom