Political and politically incorrect humor

I'm a bit puzzled by this one. It seems to me that if your history is long enough, your flag will have represented something heinous at one time or another. Most European flags have been used by extreme right-wing nutcases as symbols of their nationalism. Many European flags certainly flew over slave ships, and various massacres of indigenous populations.

Although the Confederate flag has some unsavoury connections, surely it has also been used in a reasonable way to represent a Southern identity? I didn't get the feeling that the Dukes of Hazard was a crypto-racist production.

I'm a bit puzzled by this one. It seems to me that if your history is long enough, your flag will have represented something heinous at one time or another. Most European flags have been used by extreme right-wing nutcases as symbols of their nationalism. Many European flags certainly flew over slave ships, and various massacres of indigenous populations.

Although the Confederate flag has some unsavoury connections, surely it has also been used in a reasonable way to represent a Southern identity? I didn't get the feeling that the Dukes of Hazard was a crypto-racist production.

The problem is that the very existence of the confederate flag is based on subjugation, oppression, and ownership of other humans ... and the willingness to commit treason and destroy a nation to protect slavery. It is further compounded as a symbol of pride by white supremecists who succeeded in convincing the government after they lost the civil war that the 'path to healing' included more oppression, denial of rights, and subjugation that lasted for another century ... and draping it all as 'heritage'.

The swasticka is not about 'heritage' or 'pride' ... and neither is the confederate flag.

I suppose, from a European perspective, I would see most flags as connected to conquest, power and subjugation of some sort, fluttering over a history shaped by murder, treachery and ruthlessness.

I suppose, from a European perspective, I would see most flags as connected to conquest, power and subjugation of some sort, fluttering over a history shaped by murder, treachery and ruthlessness.

The major difference is that this is NOT a national flag and never was, it was created at a specific time and place for a specific reason... And should have been gone long ago ... as in 1865.

I'd argue that all flags are created at a specific time and place for a specific reason. The French flag was only adopted in the 1790s, based on the colours of the victorious revolutionaries (or traitors, as they were otherwise known). Many other regional but not national flags have been quite important - see Northern Ireland, Basque Spain, and many others.

The scent of manufactured indignation is strong… We need to start a new thread, gents. This thread is supposed to be strictly for jokes and pictures. I was actually planning on one because I'm curious how Germany handles Memorial Day (or whatever their equivalent is). That should have relevance to the Confederacy.

I'd argue that all flags are created at a specific time and place for a specific reason. The French flag was only adopted in the 1790s, based on the colours of the victorious revolutionaries (or traitors, as they were otherwise known). Many other regional but not national flags have been quite important - see Northern Ireland, Basque Spain, and many others.

Good point ...

The scent of manufactured indignation is strong… We need to start a new thread, gents. This thread is supposed to be strictly for jokes and pictures. I was actually planning on one because I'm curious how Germany handles Memorial Day (or whatever their equivalent is). That should have relevance to the Confederacy.

Agree on the new thread ...

I think it's not the flag - it's the people's mindset how to use it.
Same with guns, by the way.

That's the funniest joke yet, how liberals don't have a sense of humor. They deride Conservatives for "not having a sense of humor", but just watch what happens when you say something that doesn't celebrate one of their sacred cows.

That's the funniest joke yet, how liberals don't have a sense of humor. They deride Conservatives for "not having a sense of humor", but just watch what happens when you say something that doesn't celebrate one of their sacred cows.

Which of course is why 99% of all comedians are liberals and the majority of mean-spirited humorless racists are conservatives :)

It's nowhere near as funny as HHR's one about the dying babies.

Which of course is why 99% of all comedians are liberals and the majority of mean-spirited humorless racists are conservatives :)

Conservatives are actually well-adjusted people who have lives and accomplish things, this is why almost all the comedians, authors, journalists or artists are liberals. It's why you should always beware of creative types. They have this seething hatred at the natural order and they try to normalize it. No one who is balanced and mature is going to wake up one day and say "I'm going to become a humorist and make this my career!"

Guys, cut the crap. THIS IS A HUMOUR THREAD!! Start something new for all these issues, but I WILL delete any and all future OT posts!!

gv072315dAPR20150723044516.jpg

"Hair force one". Hilarious.

pibbur who thinks (not really) that since the US is so important to a lot of people outside America, Europeans should be allowed to vote!!! As a means to reduce the costs of the campaigns and to get some desperately needed predictability over there.

Just great ! :lol:

Back
Top Bottom