Recomend a decent/good non-RPG

Best horror game ever... is a bit exaggerated isn't it? Dead Space can probably be called something like "the last survival horror game ever" but best?

Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem... I have an old list of horror games I finished and that should have been on there. Bit overrated in the scary part I say, but a great and really cool/different story.

No, maybe you missed the part where I said "imo".

It would be hard to argue against it being the best to take place in a sci-fi setting though.

Never mentioned Waxworks and Elvira either. They are a bit old now I guess.

No, maybe you missed the part where I said "imo".

It would be hard to argue against it being the best to take place in a sci-fi setting though.

There are very few survival horror games that takes place in a sci-fi setting. Some competition comes to mind though, System Shock 2, Alien VS Predator 2, DOOM 3 etc. Dead Space was a creepy game, but it's weak spot was the story and lack of characters I think. Isaac wasn't a memorable character. Of course, none of the games I just mentioned had memorable characters as protagonists.

On that sidenote, Alien VS Predator 2 remains one of few horror games I bailed out on. Facehuggers is the one fantasymonster I simply cannot stand, so I cheated myself out on the last Predator mission with no-clip. I also avoided the new game for the same reason.

There are very few survival horror games that takes place in a sci-fi setting.

That was my point. I was trying to be sarcastic.

The AvP games had some scary moments, but I only found the Marine campaigns to have any real creepiness. The Predator and Alien campaigns were more pure action.

Sanitarium

A very good psychological horror point´n´click adventure game.
Original plot (basically a journey into main character´s deranged mind), a lot of logical puzzles thematically well integrated into the story, eerie atmosphere, great art design. Highly recommended!

The AvP games had some scary moments, but I only found the Marine campaigns to have any real creepiness. The Predator and Alien campaigns were more pure action.

I unloaded half a clip in one of the metal sheets or pipes or whatever it was that fell down in front of me in the first marine mission, and that was before meeting anything dangerous... scared the crap out of me.

If we talk adventure games, one extremely creepy one is "Scratches" (Directors Cut). Plays almost like a MYST game inside an old house. It scared the crap out of me on at least two occasions.

Trailer

Never mentioned Waxworks and Elvira either. They are a bit old now I guess.

Lol those games were outstanding! I played those on my Amiga, and graphically hold up fairly well as far as adventure games go.

As far as more modern survival horror games are concerned, two titles in particular stand out in JemyM's list. Prey was pretty creepy and underrated, IMO. The Suffering 1 was excellent (never played 2 because of Starforce protection). Both should be in the 'bargain bin' by now.

Realms of the Haunting is also very good, but it will need Dosbox and the graphics are very dated, but still an excellent game.

For Prey, I particularly remember the schoolbus.

On Suffering, I didn't like the second game for how it decided the ending of the first game for you. I thought the morality option you have in the first was a great addition as you could choose the ultimate "truth" in the game. That said, it was a really creepy game. Especially how it flashed you with disturbing images while playing.

Sanitarium

A very good psychological horror point´n´click adventure game.
Original plot (basically a journey into main character´s deranged mind), a lot of logical puzzles thematically well integrated into the story, eerie atmosphere, great art design. Highly recommended!

Ahhh, Sanitarium is one of the best games nobody has ever played; it slipped under the radar for the most part. Excellent game.

Dead Space was amazing. Just finished it myself and cannot wait for the next one. You get used to the controls very quickly.

I migth be a bit old but as far as adventure / point & click games are concerd I would like to put forward the excellently scary game "I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream" a bit on the intellectual side and survival is something of a moot point

I got my iteration from underdogs when it still existed and here is a link to an archived underdogs review http://www.hotud.org/component/content/article/38-adventure/20220-I-Have-No-Mouth-and-I-Must-Scream

I don´t know if this can be considered a proper abandonware but if somebody here want it I could probably make the old underdogs version availble although I don´t want to break any site rules so please moderators in case of an interest advice me

cheers
M

::edit::
I found out that you can still buy the game from Harlan Ellisons homepage so sad to say I won´t make it available http://harlanellison.com/herc.htm#ihnm

However I would recommend everybody who can stand a classic Lucas Art p&c game to give it a try whatever comedy there is to be found is bleak but the issues are "nice"

Last edited:
I appreciate all the input guys… It has been awhile since I've hunted for used or even bargain bin PC games. Any recommendations outside of ebay/CL? It's also been years since I've been to big lots, but oddly enough I remember them having a selection of older PC games.

Anyway, thanks to your(plural) help I have a nice list of games to play. :party:

Back
Top Bottom