Recomend a decent/good non-RPG

I agree, it is a very 'hyper' game. I've been a fan of FPS games for a long time, and even I'm finding it to be a bit chaotic.

My biggest problem with Metro 2033 though, is how it's bringing my system to its knees. I think I'm going to put off playing it until after my next upgrade, which will be within the next few weeks. My nearly 4 years old Core 2 processor has pretty much reached the end of its tour of duty…

I have Metro 2033 running just 'ok' but I'm in the same boat. I'm going to have to break out the checkbook for a new setup in the next few months.

I too have reservations against Metro 2033. The gameplay-levels are very short and small in size. It runs fine though on my E8650 and Nvidia GTX260. Luckily I play with headphones, since the GPU-fan gets crazy loud.

This is what I'm probably going to end up getting.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103727

It's a very fast CPU for gaming, and has a geat price\performance ratio.

I plan on getting a new vid card a month or two later.

I haven't started doing any research yet, but that looks like a nice chip set and the reviews are nice. I love having a brand new computer, but I hate going through the process of putting one together, lol.

The AMD Phenom II x4 CPUs are nice because they're compatible with both DDR2 and DDR3 RAM, as opposed to the new Intel CPUs which can only be used with DDR 3.

I already have 4GB of DDR 2 that's only about a year old, and I don't want to have to buy DDR 3 yet, which is only slightly faster in most applications anyways. The motherboards are generally a little cheaper as well.

To confirm my status as somebody probably too old to even use a computer anymore, I just got my silver trophy in Plants vs. Zombies for the fourth time, lol. I'll have the gold trophy by daybreak.
Good to see I'm not the only one. I started a new profile several weeks back and I've been milking this one quite a bit. I picked up that 4th silver a couple weeks ago, but you'll definitely beat me to the gold. Even after all those hours, PvZ still brings it, eh? I'm stunned they haven't done an expansion.

I agree, it is a very 'hyper' game. I've been a fan of FPS games for a long time, and even I'm finding it to be a bit chaotic.

My biggest problem with Metro 2033 though, is how it's bringing my system to its knees. I think I'm going to put off playing it until after my next upgrade, which will be within the next few weeks. My nearly 4 years old Core 2 processor has pretty much reached the end of its tour of duty…

I agree I like FPS games, it's just that Metro 2033 just didn't play the way I wanted it to. I thought the game was professionally done and looked great, it was just too consolized, and that's just my opinion.

Doom, Farcry, Quake, Heretic were all amazing games, but these companies are making games for consoles first now, so when they get to the computer, you have to be FREAKING Liberaci on your keyboard to play them. No offense, but I'll play something else. Memo to game designers: If you care about the PC game market, stop using so many key strokes in your games. Just because you have 25 buttons on your Sony gamepad doesn't give you permission to make some lame PC version of your game that's basically unplayable.

Doom, Farcry, Quake, Heretic were all amazing games, but these companies are making games for consoles first now, so when they get to the computer, you have to be FREAKING Liberaci on your keyboard to play them. No offense, but I'll play something else. Memo to game designers: If you care about the PC game market, stop using so many key strokes in your games. Just because you have 25 buttons on your Sony gamepad doesn't give you permission to make some lame PC version of your game that's basically unplayable.
I've actually noticed the opposite happen so much that it's annoying. Seeing some propper use made of a keyboard is refreshing, instead of having to dive into the damned inventory everytime to swap a simple weapon.

All while it could be easly done by a keystroke.

Ontopic : If you're willing to give resident evil a go, definately also give "Nocturne" a try. Somewhat the same, a bit more action heavy but a (much) better setting. Overall a better game in my opinion though.

nocturne.jpg

Last edited:
I've actually noticed the opposite happen so much that it's annoying. Seeing some propper use made of a keyboard is refreshing, instead of having to dive into the damned inventory everytime to swap a simple weapon.

All while it could be easly done by a keystroke.

Ontopic : If you're willing to give resident evil a go, definately also give "Nocturne" a try. Somewhat the same, a bit more action heavy but a (much) better setting. Overall a better game in my opinion though.

nocturne.jpg

If you like console gaming systems, go for it.

Game companies are increasingly making games for consoles first, with PC translations as an afterthought. I just liked PC gaming the way it used to be. If that makes me an old fogie, so be it, lol.

Last edited:
I'm starting to enjoy Modern Warfare 2 now, it really picks up after the first few levels. I still think MW1 was better though.

Back
Top Bottom