Report: Crysis 2 Leaked

Crytek claims they never promised it and have no plans to add it now.

Shocker. :)

Just another feature that didn't make it into the game. I'm not sure if they ever actually promised it would be DX11, but they certainly didn't have a problem with letting everyone believe it would be.

Really? Crysis 2 would make that cut?

I can only say that we have different views of what "large and open" is.

Did you play the whole game? There are many, many areas that are very large and open with multiple routes, hiding spots and a ton of freedom. It is not as open as Crysis, but compared to something like Call of Duty: Black Ops it's like the plains of Nebraska.

Did you play the whole game? There are many, many areas that are very large and open with multiple routes, hiding spots and a ton of freedom. It is not as open as Crysis, but compared to something like Call of Duty: Black Ops it's like the plains of Nebraska.

Yes, I played the whole game..finished it in little more than 2 days. As you know, it wasn't very long. Don't even get me started on the convoluted story and ridiculous ending.

"Very large" areas? Tons of freedom? Did we play the same game??

Multiple routes? Where?? You mean straying to the left of the maps as opposed to the right? Very few maps in Crysis 2 gave you multiple routes, and they only consisted of circling around one way as opposed to the other. I haven't played Black Ops, but Modern Warfare 2 had maps that were as large as most of the ones in Crysis 2.

I don't want to turn this into some huge, useless debate. It's safe to say that we just have different ideas of what a large open world, and freedom, are. STALKER would be an example of a shooter that has large areas and true freedom. Crysis 2 gave a decent illusion of freedom to a certain point, that is all.

Last edited:
I still think the first two games were better and made more sense than Crysis 2. Still pissed off about how they handled the original characters.

They were killed by the suits supposedly. Except prophet who dies in the beginning of part 2.
Just there way of making sure the console players get a fresh story since the first never came out on consoles.

Last edited:
Yes, I played the whole game..finished it in little more than 2 days. As you know, it wasn't very long. Don't even get me started on the convoluted story and ridiculous ending.

"Very large" areas? Tons of freedom? Did we play the same game??

Multiple routes? Where?? You mean straying to the left of the maps as opposed to the right? Very few maps in Crysis 2 gave you multiple routes, and they only consisted of circling around one way as opposed to the other. I haven't played Black Ops, but Modern Warfare 2 had maps that were as large as most of the ones in Crysis 2.

I don't want to turn this into some huge, useless debate. It's safe to say that we just have different ideas of what a large open world, and freedom, are. STALKER would be an example of a shooter that has large areas and true freedom. Crysis 2 gave a decent illusion of freedom to a certain point, that is all.

There were always multiple routes… down the alley or down the street or across the roof or through the sewer. Maybe you didn't explore much because the stupid arrow always drove you forward, I wouldn't blame you for that.

Crysis was never as open as STALKER though. Crysis was a very linear game, go from this point to that point, it just offered you a very wide tunnel. Crysis 2 does the same thing, it just has a bit thinner tunnels.

@Couchpotato
If you think it doesn't make sense now, you haven't seen anything yet. :) I hope Crytek didn't actually pay someone for the writing in that game.

It must sound like I hated the game, but I really didn't. I was just disappointed by it, mostly due to overly high expectations on my part.

There were always multiple routes… down the alley or down the street or across the roof or through the sewer. Maybe you didn't explore much because the stupid arrow always drove you forward, I wouldn't blame you for that.

Crysis was never as open as STALKER though. Crysis was a very linear game, go from this point to that point, it just offered you a very wide tunnel. Crysis 2 does the same thing, it just has a bit thinner tunnels.

No, I tried to explore as much as I could, but there wasn't really anything to explore. 90% of the doors, alleys, etc. were dead ends. At least in FarCry and Crysis the levels were large enough to make you feel like you were exploring, even though there was rarely anything to discover.

@Couchpotato
If you think it doesn't make sense now, you haven't seen anything yet. :) I hope Crytek didn't actually pay someone for the writing in that game.

Apparently they did his name is Peter Watts. I also agree the story's not making sense.

The story makes some sense after the game finishes, but while playing it's pretty baffling. Also how Prophet got from the end of Crysis to the start of Crysis 2 is never explained at all.

I'm impressed that you could get that much from the demo. :)

I'm ashamed to admit that I bought it :(

After discovering direct2drive.co.uk - I've bought a couple of games that I knew I wouldn't really want. I almost bought Dragon Age 2 this way!

Thankfully, I was utterly dissuaded by a certain "demo" version.

I've got some kind of member discount (think it's Fileplanet) - which means the end price is something like 60% of the average online price.

I lasted about 5-6 chapters of Dead Space 2 - until I couldn't stand its 100% predictable flow.

Why you find it so appealing, I'll probably never understand.

Anyways, Dead Space 2 was exactly what it was advertised to be. I can understand that someone who didn't like the first game obviously isn't going to like the sequel either.

Again, I didn't follow the advertisement campaign. I'm talking about what the game in itself gives off as a vibe.

If you think it (initially) comes off as a traditional linear corridor shooter, then we must have gotten different vibes from the game. To me, it seemed like a game that tried to be akin to System Shock or Resident Evil - as we've talked about before.

I liked Dead Space just fine - and the sequel was pretty much exactly the same, except less tense and more about action.

So, to me, they're both decent shooters.

But they're nothing more. My problem, originally, was that I expected something more interesting and more cerebral from DS, because it took some of the gameplay elements from games like System Shock - and I was hoping for more exploration and intricate gameplay.

I didn't expect that from the sequel, obviously, and I didn't intend to ever play it - but my friend kept going on about it being so good - so against my better judgment, I finally caved in. A mistake :)

I'd say it's "average" in being open by todays standards. Most of the maps are on par with the recent Call of Duty games.

Well, I know how these things go between us. We'll just go back and forth eternally about things that we can't really prove.

Suffice it to say that I think Crysis 2 levels (those I've seen so far) are MUCH more open than most modern shooters, including Black Ops and Bad Company 2. Maybe it's just a clever illusion, but it certainly works for me.

Here's a quote from Nathan Camarillo, the executive producer.

Ahem… "sandbox gameplay"? There was some exaggeration there, to say the least. It also seems that some of the things he mentions didn't make it into the game at all.

Well, I admit that quote is somewhat misleading - though there's nothing inherently false about it. You can kick cars or use them as cover - and you could perceivably consider such things sandbox elements.

Still, I'm talking about the game in itself - and what I get from playing it, is a game that doesn't try to break too much new ground.

It comes off as a very traditional shooter with very strong visuals and production values. It's quite big and the core gameplay is very satisfying in terms of the shooter aspect.

I found Dead Space much less satisfying from a pure gameplay point of view - and the story/atmosphere didn't do much for me. That's what I mean when I say it tried to be more than a pure shooter, but failed to compensate for its very average shooter gameplay. Effectively, it's an average shooter dressed up as this "serious" survival horror game.

Well, I know how these things go between us. We'll just go back and forth eternally about things that we can't really prove.

Suffice it to say that I think Crysis 2 levels (those I've seen so far) are MUCH more open than most modern shooters, including Black Ops and Bad Company 2. Maybe it's just a clever illusion, but it certainly works for me..

Well it's simple enough for me to prove. Just go get a copy of Modern Warfare 2. :)

Haven't played either of those other games you've named, but I get your point. Yes, compared to the average shooter, Crysis 2 is more open. The problem is that it's not a sequel to those games. My issue is Crysis 2 compared to Crytek's other games. I'm not really interested on how it compares to the "average" shooter.

Well, I admit that quote is somewhat misleading - though there's nothing inherently false about it. You can kick cars or use them as cover - and you could perceivably consider such things sandbox elements..

Yes, you can kick cars, and a few other things, but it's a far cry (no pun intended) from the way he made it sound. Get back to me after you've finished it. Then we can discuss the "tons" of usable items he referenced.

It comes off as a very traditional shooter with very strong visuals and production values. It's quite big and the core gameplay is very satisfying in terms of the shooter aspect.

I found Dead Space much less satisfying from a pure gameplay point of view - and the story/atmosphere didn't do much for me. That's what I mean when I say it tried to be more than a pure shooter, but failed to compensate for its very average shooter gameplay. Effectively, it's an average shooter dressed up as this "serious" survival horror game.

I'm not really sure why you keep bringing up Dead Space 2.

I'm sorry you didn't like it, but how about not insisting on trying to compare apples to oranges? You might be getting your point across better if you weren't trying to compare a first-person shooter to a survival horror game.

Well it's simple enough for me to prove. Just go get a copy of Modern Warfare 2. :)

Haven't played either of those other games you've named, but I get your point. Yes, compared to the average shooter, Crysis 2 is more open. The problem is that it's not a sequel to those games. My issue is Crysis 2 compared to Crytek's other games. I'm not really interested on how it compares to the "average" shooter.

Why would you be interested?

It was my comparison - and now I've explained myself :)

Yes, you can kick cars, and a few other things, but it's a far cry (no pun intended) from the way he made it sound. Get back to me after you've finished it. Then we can discuss the "tons" of usable items he referenced.

I quickly realised that it wouldn't be a "sandbox" title, and compared with their previous games - that's very disappointing.

As I said, I think it's a fine "pure" shooter - but I liked Far Cry and Crysis much better.

But ultimately, I'm not really a big shooter fan anymore. I just like new technology, and this is where the game is most disappointing.

The fact that I'm not much of a shooter fan, is probably why I have an easier time forgiving Crysis 2 for not being more like their previous games.

I'm not really sure why you keep bringing up Dead Space 2.

I'm sorry you didn't like it, but how about not insisting on trying to compare apples to oranges? You might be getting your point across better if you weren't trying to compare a first-person shooter to a survival horror game.

I don't keep bringing it up, though.

I just mentioned it as it was the most recent example of a shooter that tries to be more - and how that works against it. To ME, that is - and it's just my opinion.

The reason we're still talking about it, is that I'm explaining why I used it as an example of how trying to be more than you are can work against yourself.

This is relevant, because - to me - Crysis 2 DOESN'T really try to be more than a standard shooter with emphasis on the visuals and the general spectacle - and that works in its favor. To me, at least.

Gotta take each game on its own man, you'll be much happier that way :)

I quickly realised that it wouldn't be a "sandbox" title, and compared with their previous games - that's very disappointing.

As I said, I think it's a fine "pure" shooter - but I liked Far Cry and Crysis much better.

But ultimately, I'm not really a big shooter fan anymore. I just like new technology, and this is where the game is most disappointing.

The fact that I'm not much of a shooter fan, is probably why I have an easier time forgiving Crysis 2 for not being more like their previous games..

It sounds like we actually agree on Crysis 2 for the most part. I also thought it was a fine shooter by itself, but I allowed myself to get hyped by the hype machine. It's just sad when I think about what it could have been.

As far as forgiving Crytek for consolizing a sequel to a very good PC shooter, well… it's not as easy for me. I was really expecting more from them. Crysis 2 will be the last game I ever purchase from them without playing first.

I don't keep bringing it up, though.

I just mentioned it as it was the most recent example of a shooter that tries to be more - and how that works against it. To ME, that is - and it's just my opinion.

The reason we're still talking about it, is that I'm explaining why I used it as an example of how trying to be more than you are can work against yourself.

This is relevant, because - to me - Crysis 2 DOESN'T really try to be more than a standard shooter with emphasis on the visuals and the general spectacle - and that works in its favor. To me, at least.

Well I gues we'll just disagree on that one. Dead Space 2 played out fine for me, and was pretty much exactly what I expected. Not sure what gave you an early impression of something different, since you didn't give any specific examples.

As far as you being satisfied with Crysis 2 just being an average shooter with decent visuals…well, that just goes back to us having different expectations for it.

That's the truth. :)

I still wouldn't have been happy about paying $65 for Crysis 2 though, even if I wasn't looking at it as the sequel to Crysis. It wasn't worth full price to me, but few pure shooters are. I'd consider it a worthy title after the price drops a bit, and I'll gladly recommend it to others when that time comes.

It sounds like we actually agree on Crysis 2 for the most part. I also thought it was a fine shooter by itself, but I allowed myself to get hyped by the hype machine. It's just sad when I think about what it could have been.

As far as forgiving Crytek for consolizing a sequel to a very good PC shooter, well… it's not as easy for me. I was really expecting more from them. Crysis 2 will be the last game I ever purchase from them without playing first.

Makes sense :)

Well I gues we'll just disagree on that one. Dead Space 2 played out fine for me, and was pretty much exactly what I expected. Not sure what gave you an early impression of something different, since you didn't give any specific examples.

As far as you being satisfied with Crysis 2 just being an average shooter with decent visuals…well, that just goes back to us having different expectations for it.

I should probably be more precise when talking about franchises. It's not Dead Space 2 - as much as the franchise as a whole.

So, it was probably more Dead Space 1 that gave me expectations, but Dead Space 2 was just the most recent continuation.

So, I didn't expect something "new" from it, but I think my disappointment was just rekindled by my admittedly stupid decision to purchase it.

That would be easier if Cryek hadn't fallen all over themselves lying to PC gamers about, well, everything.

If they just said 'hey, PC gamers, the sequel will be a good game, but we won't lie - this is a console-first game with smaller levels, a focus on action over exploration meaning smaller areas and a constant linear push, and 'streamlined' gameplay with far fewer options, and graphics that will not meet up with the original game for some folks' ... I could have just played the game and been happy. But they didn't.

I thought it was pretty clear that they responded pretty much directly to the piracy issue.

Expecting them to cater to the PC audience after that, would be pretty naive.

It doesn't excuse them from lying though, but I haven't personally read anything from them that would suggest Crysis 2 was going to be a "freeform" shooter like their previous games. It's quite possible that I missed it, though.

Expecting them to cater to the PC audience after that, would be pretty naive.

The game was pretty much 99% finished when that happened. I don't see any connection between that and the heavy consolization of Crysis 2. That decision was obviously made long before.

The game was pretty much 99% finished when that happened. I don't see any connection between that and the heavy consolization of Crysis 2. That decision was obviously made long before.

When what happened?

I certainly recall a pretty big negative lashing out from Crytek almost immediately after Crysis was released.

Maybe I'm remembering it wrong, but I think their lead guy made a public statement about PC piracy and the necessity of making any sequel a console title.

Back
Top Bottom