Risen 2 - Play as a Pirate @ IGN

I definitely think that guns, although a great addition to Risen/PB games, should coexist with bows/crossbows.
Indeed. It would certainly make sense in the setting and more gameplay variety the better (bows/crossbows - faster but less damage, maybe possibility of ranged stealth kills, firearms - slower but more damage, more resource demanding, or something like that for example).

Would have liked bows for ranged stealth. Those guns will be quite loud.

I definitely hope they implement the "cause distraction" ability via releasing our trusty parrot.

You ever seen a pirate?

Also,
pirogrepistcross.jpg

guess iam blind ;-)

I'm not too concerned. Night of the Raven had some significant pirate content and I thought it all fit well within the world. Guns are just another projectile weapon - if you played WoW then you know guns fit in the fantasy setting ok in that game.

It might be a nice faction distinction - perhaps pirates still use crossbows, the guards have flintlocks and people from the island centre use bows.

What a huge advancement in just three years. I wonder how they can explain that. Still I'm tired of seeing pirates thanks to Disney and there movies. No doubt it will take some getting used to but I cant say till I see and play the game.

Yeah actually I reconsider my previous post. Bows would both make sense and be cool. The stealth argument is a good one, but of course only if there is an advanced stealth system in the first place!

I think it's cool that they're adding guns even if they're completely removing bows and crossbows. It seems like a little change to make the setting more fit with most people's ideas of a pirate/swashbuckling type theme which fits with the island setting. Hopefully it'll be fun and feel a bit different than the usual Middle Earth wannabe fantasy setting (which I tend to like, but something different is nice).

Stealth gameplay could still be supported with melee kills (cut throat, knife in the back, etc.) or maybe thrown weapons if they include any.

I always thought of the island Risen was set on as a backwater island and somewhat isolated from the rest of the world. They would have been a bit behind in technology compared to the rest of the world.

I'm looking forward Risen 2. Its great that piranha bytes have decied to freshen the old formula. It will be intresting to see how the various themes blend together. Traditional fantasy stuff and pirate theme.

I'm looking forward Risen 2. Its great that piranha bytes have decied to freshen the old formula. It will be intresting to see how the various themes blend together. Traditional fantasy stuff and pirate theme.

I agree, I think it's a good thing that PB is branching out a bit, and hopefully they come up with some fresh gameplay while retaining everything that made the Gothic series/Risen great games.

We don't actually know much at all about Risen's world. The island from the first game was an isolated locale, and it is quite plausible that rifling has been invented, and decent firearms are available elsewhere.

The main advantage that guns had early on was that you could train someone to use one fairly quickly and cheaply. Longbows basically required a lifetime to master, you couldn't just give a longbow to a peasant - they would simply not be able to use it without years of training. Once firearms became more reliable, and particularly with the development of rifling, they became dominant.

I do like the idea of having crossbows at least available for stealth. I'd take the article with a grain of salt, it seems likely to me that there would still be some bows around. Firearms are probably a lot more common, though.

Risen 2 is set ten years after the events of the original game, not three.

Thank you for pointing that little fact out. I thought it was three but the review says its been seven years. One of the developers probably loves pirates to much. As I said I cant say I will love it but I will see when it comes out. Games always have some type of lore were stuff happens that doesn't make sense.

It also seems we will be playing a character who is in his late 30's or 40's then.And his name is still the nameless hero never understood that part. Who really knows his age since he is supposed to be the hero from gothic.

I'll end my little rant there for today.:biggrin:

Eh, what's wrong with people in their 30s and 40s, eh? EH!?!?
More to the point, he is not supposed to be the hero from Gothic - no connection between the two worlds.
The nameless hero thing is a design choice - it provides a blank slate, i.e. you can project your own imagination on the hero more easily (in contrast to say the witcher or mass effect or now DA2, that have a rather defined main hero), and secondly it avoids problems with voiced dialogue that would come up if you were allowed to choose your own name your character.

Eh, what's wrong with people in their 30s and 40s, eh? EH!?!?
More to the point, he is not supposed to be the hero from Gothic - no connection between the two worlds.
The nameless hero thing is a design choice - it provides a blank slate, i.e. you can project your own imagination on the hero more easily (in contrast to say the witcher or mass effect or now DA2, that have a rather defined main hero), and secondly it avoids problems with voiced dialogue that would come up if you were allowed to choose your own name your character.

Actually, the two worlds are the same. It's pretty obvious that Captain Greg is the same Captain Greg as in Gothic, and his daughter is Patty. The "dark magician that banished the gods" is the Xardas ending of Gothic 3. What Xardas obviously didn't know is that Titans exist and were freed by his actions.

However, I don't think the hero is the same. Risen follows the Xardas ending, which means Xardas and the hero travel together. Can't be the same guy as far as I'm concerned.

And me, as well. I like the new direction; as much as I liked Risen, it felt a little stale.

Back
Top Bottom