RPG General News - Games like Baldur's Gate 3

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
You are missing Baldur's Gate 3? GGrecon searched for similar games:

13 best games like Baldur's Gate 3 in 2024, from Divinity Original Sin to Diablo 4

• How I chose the best games like Baldur's Gate 3
  • Best games like Baldur's Gate 3
  • What is the best game like Baldur's Gate 3?
As the latest title from Larian Studios, Baldur's Gate 3 is a Dungeons & Dragons-based CRPG that comes complete with a ridiculously in-depth character creator, a vast amount of companions, dialogue, and a gorgeous world to go questing in.

What's more, it's no secret that Baldur's Gate 3 was met with critical acclaim, even becoming one of our Game of the Year contenders. So if you've explored every inch of the game and want to dive into something else like it, I've selected some of the best games that you should be playing in 2024.

How I chose the best games like Baldur's Gate 3
My methodology for picking entries for this list was to look for titles that have similar gameplay features or overarching themes. As Baldur's Gate 3 is an RPG with plenty of dialogue where your choices can change the course of the story, you'll find plenty of dialogue-heavy games here.

13 - Planescape: Torment: Enhanced Edition
12 - Disco Elysium - The Final Cut
11 - Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader
10 - Fable
9 - Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty
8 - Divinity Original Sin 2
7 - Diablo 4
6 - Pillars of Eternity
5 - Elden Ring
4 - Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
3 - The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
2 - Mass Effect: Legendary Edition
1 - Dragon Age: Inquisition

[...]
Thanks Couchpotato!

More information.

You have to skip the first 5 games to find something that's somewhat like BG3, at least in spirit, and right after that comes Diablo IV!

I know what you did by posting this list, but I'm not going to rage. I'm perfectly fine, and everything's great. I'm also not about to head out to the balcony to screech my lungs out into the wind to get over the sacrilege or anything like that. :unsure:

Bah takes a chill pill most of us diehards will probably gripe about the list due to some technicality, but it just might help some newbie or guest find new games to play.

Nope. Not a single one, save the obvious DOS 2, is anything like BG3. Not to mention the obvious laughable ones: Diablo, Skyrim, Mass Effect, Elden Ring, Cyberpunk, Pillars, Disco Elysium, Fable.... in short, 95% of that stupid list. Most of them are very good games, but similar to BG3? Really? And if casual players who happened to like BG3 play any of those, they will instantly regret it.

Bah takes a chill pill most of us diehards will probably gripe about the list due to some technicality, but it just might help some newbie or guest find new games to play.
el-risitas.jpg

Not sure what you guys are talking about, Pillars isn't too far removed from BG3. Pillars 2 is even closer given it has turn based combat.

The simple fact is that there really isn't many modern games like it - I would say Pillars 1&2, DOS1&2, Pathfinder: Kingmaker/WotR and that is abou it. Torment: ToN at a stretch. I wouldn't of included Torment: Planescape without including BG1/2 & IWD1/2. If you were including games like that then I guess you could include games from different settings like F1/2 + Atom 1/2 + Wasteland 2&3 + Black Geyser. Although my personal feeling is they are a bit far removed in both style, story and setting.

Pretty obvious most of the responses here are from folks who didn't even bother to read the first few paragraphs of the article.
He's talking about themes, elements in common, detailed character creation, variety of companions, extensive dialogue, choices, world-building, and of course top-down/isometric perspective.

And now for next article

The 10 Best Games Like Minecraft to play in 2024

Minecraft is one of the all-time most successful, most played games in history. So now that you're done playing it for years, I selected the best games like Minecraft that you should play in 2024.

How I chose the best games like Minecraft?

My metholodogy for picking entries for this list was to look for titles with similar gameplay or overarching themes. As Minecraft is a game where you can build things with different branching possibilities on what to build, here you'll find plenty of building-heavy options.

1. Civilization VI
2. Clash of Clans
3. Heroes of Might and Magic
4. Age of Wonders 4
5. Starcraft II
6. Terraria
7. Football Manager 2024
8. Age of Empires 2
9. Warcraft III
10. Valheim

PS: This is clearly not a clickbait for idiots trying to piggyback on the success and popularity of Minecraft to get some easy hits on my site while naming some random generally popular and well-regarded games that have nothing to do with Minecraft. Honest!

Pretty obvious most of the responses here are from folks who didn't even bother to read the first few paragraphs of the article.
He's talking about themes, elements in common, detailed character creation, variety of companions, extensive dialogue, choices, world-building, and of course top-down/isometric perspective.
So name everything any game might possibly have in it and then say whatever random game is "like BG3"? That's as worthless as it sounds.

I mean, c'mon... Disco Elysium? ELDEN RING?

I think everyone read correctly. The title is '13 best games like Baldur's Gate 3', and the author writes that he's looking for 'similar gameplay features' or 'overarching themes' (whatever that means), before adding a few other conditions.

Then we see something like this, for Diablo 4:
A much more recent entry on this list, Diablo 4 was released to much critical acclaim. The latest ARPG iteration from Blizzard takes the series to new heights - and all new levels of gore.

While Baldur’s Gate 3 can be much slower in its story and combat, Diablo 4 rips along at an unapologetic pace - constantly giving players new abilities to use and enemies to conquer.

Even better, Diablo 4 is best experienced in co-op with a few friends. There’s a massive endgame to explore too, so the fun doesn’t stop once you get to the end of the main campaign. You can't say that about many of the titles on this list of best games like Baldur's Gate 3, can you?
I'll pass on the 'critical acclaim' that only links to the same website (and surprinsingly, the same author), and which goes in the face of a terrible reception at release. The features have nothing in common with Baldur's Gate 3, except maybe the coop, but you may as well say the two are alike because they're both games.

The title is simply misleading - one could even say clickbait. The criterion 'similar gameplay features' is somewhat misleading, too, because isolating one feature like coop, top-down perspective, or impeccable world design doesn't make those games alike; we'd need a number of similar features, starting with the genre.

The only interest this article could have for someone looking for a comparable experience is a list of games that are actually like BG3, like the title suggests, not something that only shares one random element.

I am now playing Solasta and I think this is game which is very close to Baldur's Gate 3. It has similar DnD 5th edition rules, interesting story, and fun gameplay. Of course it is not as good as BG3, nothing is(yet), but still very good quality DnD gaming.

I am now playing Solasta and I think this is game which is very close to Baldur's Gate 3. It has similar DnD 5th edition rules, interesting story, and fun gameplay. Of course it is not as good as BG3, nothing is(yet), but still very good quality DnD gaming.
That exactly shows the problem.

When someone wants to play "a game like BG3" they have differing opinions on what the features of BG3 are that they then expect to be similar in another game.
For me personally it would be the
  • single player
  • single main character
  • party-based
  • Forgotten Realms setting
  • D20-like ruleset
  • turn-based combat
  • main plot
  • deep companions
So while Solasta is a good game which I really enjoyed, I wouldn't call it "a game like BG3", because it doesn't have a single main character, doesn't play in the FR and doesn't have deep companions.
So I would feel misled if anyone suggested Solasta.

Solasta is a fantastic game that gets overlooked often, and it would have been a good one to add to that list, as a lot of people who are not that much into gaming and might have found a new hobby thanks to BG3 probably missed it.

But the author of that list isn't interested in being helpful, it's just is a low-effort, shameless clickbait looking to get hits out of people doing "games like BG3" Google search and we all know it.

So while Solasta is a good game which I really enjoyed, I wouldn't call it "a game like BG3", because it doesn't have a single main character, doesn't play in the FR and doesn't have deep companions.
So I would feel misled if anyone suggested Solasta.
Cmon...
Which game has such deep characters as BG3(maybe Divinity:OS2) and it is placed in FR.
all other points are ticked in Solasta and setting is good enough that average person wouldn't notice difference from that setting and FR.

What games would you name as similar to BG3?

You are missing Baldur's Gate 3? GGrecon searched for similar games:

Thing is: there has to be a 'common ground' between all the games he lists and I find it very hard to pinpoint.

There's mixed up genre (FPS, third person, isometric), setting(sci-fi, fantasy), gameplay(rtwp, action, turn-based, etc).

They aren't even all just single player or just multiplayer.

Help me find a single characteristic shared between them all, as I fail to see.

Dunno…

I feel like this is mostly an exercise for us to see how pedantic we can be in comparing games.

Then again, I suppose most of our comments are that anyway so yeah.

I guess the only similarity I can see between Witcher 3 and BG3 is fantastic cinematics (RDR2 as well). And nudity. Seriously though, the cinematics, voice acting, motion capture really draws me in to the story.

What games would you name as similar to BG3?
Well, "similar to" in my understanding describes a weaker similarity than "like".
So being similar to BG3 I would name DOS1/2, the PF KM/WotR, PoE 1/2, Dragon Age 1-3. Of course there are some older ones.
So these are lacking the TB combat and/or the FR setting and/or the D20 ruleset, which imho are the least important for similarity.

But I don't see any game where I would say it's like BG3 without being misleading.

Last edited:
I guess the only similarity I can see between Witcher 3 and BG3 is fantastic cinematics (RDR2 as well). And nudity.
Also: a (high magic) fantasy setting, deep characters/companions, strong plot (no sandbox-type). And instead of nudity I'd say romance (which for some seems to be the same...)
Seriously though, the cinematics, voice acting, motion capture really draws me in to the story.
Yep, to me this gets more and more important.

Dunno…

I feel like this is mostly an exercise for us to see how pedantic we can be in comparing games.

Then again, I suppose most of our comments are that anyway so yeah.

I guess the only similarity I can see between Witcher 3 and BG3 is fantastic cinematics (RDR2 as well). And nudity. Seriously though, the cinematics, voice acting, motion capture really draws me in to the story.
Yes, agreeing what factors makes a games similar is not very likely.

Personally I would expect similar mechanics, like the dnd or a comparable ruleset. From that perspective PS:T could be included. But given that, it's hard to understand why BG1 and 2 are not there.

I would also consider the size of the game. If I was looking for a similar, I would want one with comparable scope.

Other factors: Party based vs single protagonist. Phantasy setting vs scifi or cyberpunk.

What's not important to me is single player vs the possibility of coop multiplayer. Not sure about 1st person vs 3rd person.

That being said, I've, for strictly personal reasons which I may or may not elaborate on, I haven't played BG3. Kind of silly, but my views are based on general principles and what I've heard about the game, mostly from discussions here.

pibbuR who claims that some of his views are wrong, but who doesn't know which of them that are.

Back
Top Bottom