RPGWatch Feature: Book Review - The Stolen Throne

I've moved the last 66 posts to a new thread in Religion & Politics. They were all off topic!

We're not in a f*cking chat room.

OMG ... someone dropped the 'stay on topic' hammer ... :D

Why stay on topic if it's dead already?

Seems pointless and pedantic, but then I never got the whole obsessive sticking to the topic idea.

Ah, Gorath just enjoys dropping threads into my friendly little forum!! :)

On-topic post here! I just got the book but have only had time to read a few pages. Definitely feels like it fits many of the fantasy stereotypes PJ describe so far, but that certainly doesn't mean I won't enjoy it.

I'm almost done w/ it.

All I have to say is that I hope that the pain endured while reading this book pays off in a deeper and more satisfying RPG experience when playing Dragon Age later on....

Somtimes its like bold and beautiful of the internet intellectuals here. So much drama.

But to go back to the topic the book totally drew me in last evening. I read it all the way to small hours of the night (Im almost halfway). For some reason it has many familiar names like "brazilian forest that is too thick to travel" and character names from i.e Ivanhoe. It doesnt really distract me though.

As a game-related book its the best Ive read so far - atleast better than the mass effect one. Quite a suprise considering all the bad rep it got from the preview part that was released (never read that though). I almost thought about skipping it at first. Cant wait to see the game itself.

I'm almost done w/ it.

All I have to say is that I hope that the pain endured while reading this book pays off in a deeper and more satisfying RPG experience when playing Dragon Age later on….

Could you elaborate a bit?

It's painfully bad?

Some of it is painful, yes. Not done yet, I still have like 20% of the book to go, I put it down for a few days.

The main character Maric, who we are of course supposed to be rallying around, is annoying and gullible to the point that he reminds me of one of those "token dummy" 80s sitcom characters at times. Cue the laugh track. He's just too much of a ham, I cant take him seriously as a king-to-be, or a warrior. Even tho it's spelled out there in black and white how he's slashed this poor oaf here, or run thru some poor sod there, I just dont believe it. I could find refuge in the supporting character Loghain at times I suppose. Yet some of the inner conflicts going on in him border on comical at times, it's high school stuff. "I have to act like I hate him, but I really do like him!", again and again. It's embarrassing.

And on that note, some of the dramatic punches in the book just made me roll my eyes. Part of what I assume PJ was referring to as his "fade to black" moments, after reading the book I see. David doesnt really work his dramatic passages into the main flow too well. He instead tends to plop them down right at the ends of paragraphs, tacking them on like dramatic sticky notes, a big sore thumb to the critical and not so easily wooed. Like me, i suppose.

When I'm chuckling at what's supposed to be an ultra-serious moment, because it's got all the dramatic finesse of a blinking neon sign, something's wrong.

Maybe I'm being too rough on it. In fact, I most likely am. Partly, I suppose because I'm not very forgiving and I tend to always look behind the scenes when watching movies and reading books. When it's predictable, I start getting cranky. It doesnt help that David keeps flashing you his cards as he goes along, there's never any mystery or doubt as to what will happen next. "Ok, i know here comes "potential love interest", I know those two others are gonna get it on, I know the plan will not work", and so on and so forth. When someone gets hurt, the immediate closest ally is going to scream out their name. More than fantasy cliche, I'm used to that, to me it was often drama cliche. Yeah, that can be painful

That said, I'm not done with it yet. Maybe the last quarter will knock my socks off. As it is now, I'm glad I read it already in prepping for the game, just getting familiar w/ all the lore.

Last edited:
Thanks for the added insight.

It sounds just like the kind of book I shouldn't waste my time on.

Well, I finished the book and have to say… the last quarter of the book was actually pretty good!

Partly because it's a good read when he gets more into the dungeons / monsters / weird cultures which there's a good little journey thru, but also because some things really fell into place in a way. I see why he made Maric, for example, such a nincompoop (there's a word you dont hear much anymore!) - it was so that he could thoroughly slay that aspect of him later. They way the characters come to accept the formerly unacceptable is well done, the role of kings and queens is more explored from a human level, all that… and something happened that I totally didnt expect!

Since I had asked for it, many thanks for the review! surprisingly positive given the reaction to the snippet released in advance. So it seems there is such a thing as "cliche done right"?

Perhaps, but not in this book. It's not so much cliché done right as cliché with redeeming qualities. The clichés are bad and done wrong, IMO, but there are other things to like about the book.

I'm only about 100 pages in, but I'm enjoying it fine. It is light reading, nothing to take seriously. If you're looking for good literature, beautiful prose, or innovative storytelling, obviously you've come to the wrong place.

I think it's about expectations. I went in expecting a video game prequel novel, which you just know is going to be throwaway trash. Something on the level of the Mass Effect prequel, which was really bad. This is actually better than that, emotionally engaging to some degree -- at least so far. Relative to my expectations, I'm pleased. If you're expecting a quality novel, you will be disappointed.

One qualification is that I haven't read many fantasy novels in my life, so the cliches don't stand out like a sore thumb to me, as they may to others.

I just finished the book and liked it a lot. There were a lot of cliches in the book, but I happen to like the cliches he used. Who doesn't love honor loving dwarves or ancient buried ruins? The dwarves reminded me of their Warhammer bretheren and that is never a bad thing.:)

The story was well told and was very descriptive. Gaidar definitely fleshes out the world with some amazing details. A little gory, but nothing that can't be overlooked since that seems to be the theme of the game.

This review was overly harsh, imo. PJ does say in the end that it's not as bad as Eragon and it's easy to like, but that is after a rather scathing and sarcastic 'interview'.

All in all a great read and money well spent to get it sent over here.

After being indecisive for weeks, especially since I think book prices have gotten absurd, I decided to pick up The Stolen Throne and The Calling before the game came out. So far I've read The Stolen Throne. I wanted to share my impressions.

First off, I read an awful lot of novels, most frequently but far from exclusively speculative fiction (fantasy/sci-fi). Many books I loved in my youth would now make me cringe. So I know I tend towards the critical in these my grumpy years. In addition, I swear I was trying to find faults in the book as I was reading it. Instead of immersing myself in the story I kept finding myself analyzing the writing. I'm not sure if that's my fault or Mr. Gaider's. Therefore, I may have treated it unfairly.

That said, I'm glad I read the book.

From the point of view of an introduction to the game world, I think the book did a very good job. I understand a lot more about the world in which the game will take place, that world has very good story-telling potential. That was really the primary reason I decided to read. Even if, however, I weren't going to play the game, I still would say the book is decent.

It definitely had an air of informality about it. It felt like it was written by an inexperienced writer but one who has potential. I think if Mr. Gaider keeps writing and listens to constructive criticism, his future books could be a lot better.

I don't feel a need to go into many specifics. I think the comments above by other forum regulars all make accurate points. There were definite eye-rolling moments. But there were a few surprises and interesting stories to be found.

So if you are looking for an introduction to the Dragon Age world, I'd say go ahead and read this. I'm fairly certain I'm going to enjoy the game more because of reading it.

Back
Top Bottom