Russian Game Developers & Ukraine Crisis

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Since another thread got off-topic and will be eventually closed and moderated. I thought to open this thread for everyone to debate about Russian developers.

The thread went off-topic when the lack of information from Owlcat about future DLC was mentioned. Most couldn't agree if Owlcat was technically a Russian based developer.

Thread Link- https://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1061673615#post1061673615
Given the current political situation, I'm wondering if we will see more than DLC #1 for WotR. Owlcat have confirmed on Reddit and the Steam forums that DLC #1 will release as planned in a few days but they have avoided commenting on DLC #2 and #3 as far as I have seen. That's not a good sign imo.

I know there are much more important things than worrying about season pass content but it is kind of baffling to experience such an immediate (potential) effect of the sanctions.

Others called anyone talking about this callous.
I also have a seasons pass but I could care less about it considering what is happening to people over their. Hard to believe people are worried about their season pass because Russia declared war. No wonder this world is so fucked. What is happening there is far more important than whether I get to play some DLC later.

All things considered I would cut them some slack for being quiet under the circumstances.
Just don't reply in that thread or you'll get moderated.:p

Last edited:
Another interesting development announced this week on gaming sites was Russian 1C Entertainment based in Moscow was bought by China largest gaming company Tencent.

Here is the link with the information.

Tencent acquires 1C Entertainment
The deal was reached in late November 2021, in which Tencent agreed that it would acquire all shares of 1C Entertainment previously owned by 1C, giving it a majority stake in the company and all of its subsidiaries.

1C Entertainment and all of its subsidiaries that include the “1C” branding will be renamed within six months of the deal’s completion. Rebranding details will be announced at a later date.

Thanks for the thread, Couch :)

Just got some spirit back so I'll post what I deleted in the other thread (then more :p).

I just wanted to point out that Owlcat Games HQ are in Nicosia, they do have offices in both countries, which can be easily checked on their webpage ("OWLCAT GAMES LTD, a company established and existing under the laws of the Republic of Cyprus, registered number HE 398803, whose registered address is at Irodi Attikou, 8A, Lakatamia, 2332, Nicosia, Cyprus."), or on specialized sites.

Other Russian developers have a similar structure and I think it's not by accident but I admit I'm not expert and it goes above my head. However, I believe that is very relevant in case of sanctions against Russia, that some entities like the EU or the US are threatening to impose. It remains sketchy since a major part of the developers are in Moscow.

Regarding the devs, let's not associate everyone living in Russia with the decisions taken by their government. They haven't make that decision, we don't know if they support it, and it will harm them as much as us.

I'm curious to see if they will announce anything or reassure us on Thursday. I would expect some news about "What's next", but they may need some time to decide that - they probably would even in "normal times".

I suppose we will get first indications how the sanctions may influence Russian companies this week but it's a long process. The world is torn apart and will not get repaired anytime soon. Companies will fall on the both sides of the curtain. Owlcat may well be among them unless they decided to move. I suppose that the Russian war propaganda will lead to stricter control of the internet which might be a bad thing for a game developer.

Also, I don't know what the US means with the ban of technology import. Does that include software? Does it include computers? There aren't any decent Russian companies making computer chips. If computer hardware was involved in the ban, it would basically mean the end of gaming as we know it for Russians over time or at least a setback by a decade or two.

I liked @wolfgrimdark;'s comment. There are a lot bigger things at the play than some DLCs at the moment. @Moriendor; is right that worrying about DLCs does not exclude worrying about other things.

You do realize Owlcat is Russian and not Ukrainian and that Ukraine is being attacked and not the other way around?

A comment on this: they are as much victims of Putin's insane ambitions than the Ukrainians. Common people will suffer on both sides.

I see that at least Finland has started to remove Russian products from sales. Today seems to be the last day you can buy Russian vodka or food made in Russia. Seems that this is something decided by companies, not a central order from the government or the EU, at least for now. What if such thing spreads to software? No Russian games on Steam. I see this unlikely, yet something to consider. We'll be wiser toward the end of the week.

Yeah it's the typical boycott everything driven by social media and government pressure.

I've seen well known Russian's kicked out of sports, business, and other areas. Frankly in a rational world you have to draw a line somewhere. As it should be illegal.

As your ruining lives of people who have no control over whats happening.:(

Yeah it's the typical boycott everything driven by social media and government pressure.

I've seen well known Russian's kicked out of sports, business, and other areas. Frankly in a rational world you have to draw a line somewhere. As it should be illegal.

As your ruining lives of people who have no control over whats happening.:(

It’s unfortunate, but as they say, war is hell. When you go to war there are always consequences for civilians and losing money or having your career affected is far less severe than what is happening to civilians in Ukraine.

The only thing that I would think needs to be illegal is targeting people of Russian origin that are citizens of other countries.

I'm not going to hang around in this forum, I am far too emotional and volatile for this place :p

Anyhow a couple got the intent of my post - that there are bigger things going on and DLC is the least of the problems facing some people right now. Of course you can worry about both - that I had no issue with.

What bothered me was more the criticism that Owlcats should be more on the ball with comments while all this is going on. At least have some patience with folks who are in the middle of a war. They may not be in Russia but they have people there and are in the area.

Also Owlcats did reply, once they had time to access the situation. I thought it was a good post by them.

https://www.kickstarter.com/project..._email_backer_project_update_registered_users

My apologies if I sounded sanctimonious. My fucked comment was more a general feeling of sadness and frustration with humanity in general and how fucked up everything is. I feel, rightly or wrongly, there are too few people trying to do what is right these days, especially those with power who could be making a positive change but instead seek only to make themselves richer and more powerful.

That is the general gist of why I posted what I did and why I was upset. I have online friends sending updates about families fleeing to Poland while others are here complaining that they aren't getting social media updates on their DLC content from Owlcats and I am afraid it just hit a nerve, as it seemed insensitive to me, again rightly or wrongly it was just how I felt.

Also Owlcats did reply, once they had time to access the situation. I thought it was a good post by them.

Great minds think alike, I just posted this but in the "other" thread. Just because I'm fearless. :p

I agree with you, there's more important. Still, I hope for them they'll be able to sell their products.

Are you going to play the DLC?

Great minds think alike, I just posted this but in the "other" thread. Just because I'm fearless. :p

I agree with you, there's more important. Still, I hope for them they'll be able to sell their products.

Are you going to play the DLC?

Heh I wasn't sure where that thread was and felt it better I not reply anymore to that one anyhow. Already over did it.

I also hope they sell their products, that people will be able to get on with their lives, and earn a living … and that we continue to enjoy their games! But also not expecting anything from them during this time either.

I plan on trying the DLC yes :)

EDIT: Should I explain myself in the original thread? That might be considered going off topic and be locked ... so guess not.

Yes indeed, ignoring a moderator twice will get you that :)

With how it tends to sprout these days, we'd almost need a [/political] tag ;)
I agree it tends to sprout after Russia invading Ukrain and after the steps taken by Western countries, institutions and companies.

I noticed you using a ;) but still I'd like to use your line to say that a political tag or a thread's title containing 'no politics' won't work, we have seen that in the Corona thread in Off-topic for example. The only thing that always does the trick is moderation actions and the general sense that mods are watching. :(

Sadly TOS violations or possibly emotionally explosive political topics (like the war in Ukrain) being discussed outside P&R, are rarely reported, so I hereby call once again on all of you to just report it. We then know to keep an eye, or even to step in.

what i would like to see is valve closing the russian steam store or remove every dev/publisher from russia but i dont think newell has the balls

I am not familiar with details of the latest sanctions, but maybe those sanctions will make it harder too for Russian companies to get their money from games sold on Steam?

I noticed you using a ;) but still I'd like to use your line to say that a political tag or a thread's title containing 'no politics' won't work, we have seen that in the Corona thread in Off-topic for example. The only thing that always does the trick is moderation actions and the general sense that mods are watching. :(

Sadly TOS violations or possibly emotionally explosive political topics (like the war in Ukrain) being discussed outside P&R, are rarely reported, so I hereby call once again on all of you to just report it. We then know to keep an eye, or even to step in.

I know, it would be very awkward, and I imagine the rest of the thread would be a series of hidden messages. A guaranteed mess from any perspective. (And well spotted, the winky was indeed there to show it was irony).

It's worth noting that these P&R forums require a login to see the content, for a good reason. Which, from what I understand, means that sort of discussion should be contained here.

what i would like to see is valve closing the russian steam store or remove every dev/publisher from russia but i dont think newell has the balls

Scary shit this. It would certainly help in increasing discontent in Russia if they were not given an access to games. However, it could and would easily be countered by piratism. The Soviets did that and Russia was the place to buy pirated games late 90s / early 00s. So it would not work. Hardware restrictions would be more effective as I see it. Banning the import of Intel, NVIDIA, AMD and Apple products to Russia would mean they had no modern computers, consoles nor phones, except some Chinese ones. It would take them some years to start own manufacturing of those. Putin's regime could fall within that time.

I am not suggesting that this should be done. Just strategic speculation as everything from my part in this and the war thread.

Also, the "steam ban" would mean that we would not have access to many games elected top 3 GOTYs on this site. Unless we pirated them, which I believe some would do. So no, the steam ban would only go against the devs and studios.

Last edited:
I It's worth noting that these P&R forums require a login to see the content, for a good reason. Which, from what I understand, means that sort of discussion should be contained here.
Yup. On a side note: the posting group, i.e. people posting on the Watch, is just a small group compared to the large group of readers. And of the people registered with enough posts to read P&R only a small group is actively engaging here. New posts in P&R do not show up at the front page. This place being at the bottom of the page with all the RPGWatch forums is done for a reason as well.
Only die-hards come here. ;)

Last edited:

Games that you can buy and donate for Ukraine https://www.steamgifts.com/discussion/eSVCN/games-that-you-can-buy-and-donate-for-ukraine

Wasn't Valve delivering games that were supposedly banned, for ex. in Australia? Or authorizing regional pricing in Europe? I know it's a situation on another scale, but it seems that money would be the problem, not the absence of male organs (they're hardly known for helping straight thinking in any case). :p

I am not suggesting that this should be done. Just strategic speculation as everything from my part in this and the war thread.

Also, the "steam ban" would mean that we would not have access to many games elected top 3 GOTYs on this site. Unless we pirated them, which I believe some would do. So no, the steam ban would only go against the devs and studios.

It's apparently the sad game we have to play now, as discussed on the P&R "war" thread. I'm very divided on the question too, especially given the potential aftermath fallout.

Re: ban, I have a scarier thought: why not cut them out of the Internet? Just imagine the consequences of that. I'm sure it wouldn't be impossible, technically.

Back
Top Bottom