Shadowrun: Hong Kong - Kickstarter Launched

Those stretch goals are among the worst I've seen. As in, they're completely superfluous. Well, they sure sound like it.

Then again, I don't really care about them - as I generally just want a complete game, and if the vision isn't complete without stretch goals, then it isn't really a vision.

Shadowrun was one of the kickstarter games I found very underwhelming. Now, I know that sounds negative, but it's just that I thought it could have been so much more and it wouldn't take much to get there.

Ultimately, it was OK - but nothing more.

So, I'm not backing this one. I don't want really want to support developers who're just looking to be comfortable doing the easy thing. Nothing wrong with it, I'm just not excited about it.

Nothing wrong with your opinion Dart so thanks for your input. You have a valid reason for being cautious beside the usual ones I read on the internet.:thumbsup:

i also was disappointed with the original. so i feel like they need to redeem themselves first

god speed. will delete all feeds from this project. see u next year )

I enjoyed the first myself, though Dragonfall was a definite improvement. The prose was probably the best I had seen in a game since Planescape: Torment and added a lot in setting the atmosphere. It was also the first squad based game I had played, so it was a novel experience to me. I went on later to play X-Com and Wasteland, but SR was the first.

Well the Racter and side mission goals seem fine to me; the animatic ones are, well… perhaps overpriced.

Joxer officially has no valid reason for not backing this KS campaign :p

Also, based on my experience with HBS previous Shadowrun games I can basically guarantee that there will be no endless respawns, no grinding (it's Shadowrun so you don't get experience for killing enemies anyway.. you get Karma for completing missions), very little filler content (not a bunch of tedious / simple fetch quests or long boring tutorial levels which can't be skipped).
Haha, nice find.
Joxer, you have been challenged. How do you plea?

The project just earned $200,000 and it was enough to meet another stretch goal. So it seems the fourth companion called Racter will be added to the game.

The next goal is $250,000 for more voiced endings.:celebrate:
Haha, nice find.
Joxer, you have been challenged. How do you plea?
He wont as he replied in another thread he is busy gaming.
Man… I'm spamming instead of nailing some game..

Seems to me Joxer doesn't dislike games only if they're on a phone/mobile but if, in his opinion, they were either made for them or could be played on them.

No tablets, PC only! Yay! :)
Backed of course!

I love the response to question about why they will not make a tablet version.

Perhaps some will be surprised - but I totally agree :)

While a tablet *is* a PC ... it is a compromise computer built on a compromise OS. Gaming is something it does and does well - within the context of still delivering battery life and ultra-portability.

I am happy that they chose to focus on the experience - and chances are that their past tablet successes helped them to have that freedom. Which is awesome.

I'm laughing a bit at these comments that they have to redeem themselves. Didn't they release a directors cut for free to backers of dragon fall? The original was underwelhlming for sure, but I'm not sure you can say dragon fall was...

Oh well, can't please everyone.

To be honest I suspect no tablet do to insufficient interest (same as no localization). High end tablets are a lots faster than you think and their GPU are quite a bit better than intel hdxxx (cept maybe pro iris) . having said that I backed them...

Those stretch goals are among the worst I've seen. As in, they're completely superfluous. Well, they sure sound like it.

You think things like "enhanced party controls", an additional party member, and an extra sidequest are superfluous? OK, whatever :roll:

So, I'm not backing this one. I don't want really want to support developers who're just looking to be comfortable doing the easy thing. Nothing wrong with it, I'm just not excited about it.

But have you ever played the Dragonfall- Director's Cut? It's a pretty huge step up from the "Dead Man's Switch" campaign. Perhaps it still wouldn't be your cup of tea, but if they're continuing to improve the engine, then this one will be better still.

Last edited:
I hate to sound negative, but those stretch goals are extremely lame.

An extra $50k for animatic scene transitions? An extra $100k just to add another companion into the game?

Don't forget Kickstarter takes 10% in fees. Regardless I think there's probably quite a bit more worked involved in those stretch goals than you may realize… to actually make them worthwhile, anyway. However, I think they are just trying to be more careful this time about not over-promising… I think it's far better to promise "minor" things and over-deliver than to promise amazing unrealistic things that you can't do. Hell, didn't Larian fail to deliver on about half of their stretch goals?

Lots of people were actually pissed that the second city stretch goal from the first campaign ended up being an expansion released at a later date… and that Dragonfall was never translated to all of the languages that Dead Man's Switch was because of the high costs involved.

To be honest I suspect no tablet do to insufficient interest (same as no localization). High end tablets are a lots faster than you think and their GPU are quite a bit better than intel hdxxx (cept maybe pro iris) . having said that I backed them…

True, I think it was probably a lot of work porting Dragonfall to tablets considering how long it took them to get the Android / iOS versions released… Also the Android port only runs on the latest version of Android OS for whatever reason. So even though I'd like to eventually buy it to have one of my favorite RPGs on the go, I still am not able to currently because my tablet doesn't support an OS upgrade yet.

All that work for a few sales (at a lower release price point than the PC version) probably wasn't worth the stigma; I know Joxer is not the only PC gamer in the world who is concerned about games being dumbed down to run on tablets (or consoles for that matter).

Last edited:
Did not back the first one as I did not know about it until after it was over.
This time however I was ready and threw some extra money at them.

The game has now made $276,426 and released more stretch goals.

42ab7957556ebf58aad1a51fa56d7484_large.jpg

most projects that have extremly enticing stretch goals to reach…also have a hard time then living up to them.

Asking for additional funding through stretch goals is fine and all…but most studios i've seen try to impress and create wild stretch goals that will bring in a lot more cash. But these aren't easy to make….and often eventually leads to angry fans and broken promises.

I would rather they ask for less impressive stretch goals, but meet them all and then throw us a few surprises here and there :) as they are able to afford them and respect their timeline by not being bound to impossible promises.

Anyway, I backed this project :)

i also was disappointed with the original. so i feel like they need to redeem themselves first

god speed. will delete all feeds from this project. see u next year )

I thought Dragonfall and its polished edition WAS the redemption? :p

But honestly, never saw anything wrong with their games beyond the lack of features at the start. Rather they released this than break the bank and go into a tailspin like some devs I know.

And seriously hoping they'll reach all those goals, they deserve the dosh.

Back
Top Bottom