Skyrim - Bethesda Removes Mod Limit

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Bethesda posted a new blog post about the removal of the mod size limit for Skyrim.
Get ready for bigger mods on Steam’s Skyrim Workshop. This week we’ve pulled the restraining bolt that restricted mod sizes to 100 mb – allowing you to upload mod projects to the file size your project demands!

Before we go live with this feature for everyone, we’re beta testing things this week – both for Skyrim’s PC launcher and the Creation Kit, too.
This only affects Steam’s Skyrim Workshop as the Nexus never had any size limits.

More information.

There was a size limit on the workshop? I didn't even know that, most of the mods I downloaded from the Nexus were well above 100mb.

Valve finally catches up to a site that is run on donations and it only took 4 years :) Probably what this newsbit really means is that Bethesda is getting ready to release their new game and the newest iteration of their engine will allow for much larger mods. This improvement to the Steam Workshop will facilitate the mods of the new game.

Valve finally catches up to a site that is run on donations and it only took 4 years :) Probably what this newsbit really means is that Bethesda is getting ready to release their new game and the newest iteration of their engine will allow for much larger mods. This improvement to the Steam Workshop will facilitate the mods of the new game.

You clever devil! Well...part of me is annoyed by this move. Mod authors like myself are getting many messages to convert our mods to one single part now. But Steam Workshop has been a bit unstable for years now, meaning putting up a huge 700mb mod file might be a bad plan. It is pretty funny how we have been asking for this feature for years...and now we get it...after most of us don't care anymore. Ah well!

Making room for Enderal?

Well, at least people can get the unofficial patches from the Workshop now.

I got excited when I first read the headline as I thought it meant they had found some way of allowing you to go beyond the 255 mod limit... On reflection, I think I may just have too many mods installed :(

I perfer the nexus but is this a good thing even if it's way overdue.

I hate nexus and their you need to register or whatever whatnot.
Can't remember exactly why I downloaded some no respawns mod for some game from another site, but IIRC it was because Nexus tried to force me into opening another unwanted account and leaving my email address on another site I don't want to.

Luckily the mod was available on some rapidshare clone where I didn't need to register. Thus any kingd of "competition" is something I'm happy with.

I don't mind signing up for sites that have something to offer and the nexus definitely does, especially if your heavily modding.

The hundreds of extra hours I got out of Skyrim was not only worth singing up but I bought a membership.

I also mod other games through the nexus. Great site in my opinion.

Nice to see this. Hopefully Enderal gets a billion downloads and the developers are able to make their own game. :)

I hate nexus and their you need to register or whatever whatnot.
Can't remember exactly why I downloaded some no respawns mod for some game from another site, but IIRC it was because Nexus tried to force me into opening another unwanted account and leaving my email address on another site I don't want to.

Luckily the mod was available on some rapidshare clone where I didn't need to register. Thus any kingd of "competition" is something I'm happy with.

I know you have strong opinions about this, but please consider that without Nexus many wonderfull user made modifications would have dissapeared from the internet. And likely without some kind of mandatory registeration process, the trafic would be even more extensive than it's now. They aren't charging you anything, they just ask you to make an user account. (Although donating few euros unlocks couple of premium site features).

I personally like the place a lot. I've gotten tons of good advice how to run mods. And there are plenty of helpfull people who even take mod requests. A great community as a whole.

You can still download small mods without registeration, but to download larger files one must register. I think its not too much to ask.

Besides don't you have multiple email accounts for this purpose?

-1 email for work, bills & other official stuff
-1 private email for family & friends
-1 email for registeration stuff

Last edited:
Besides don't you have multiple email accounts for this purpose?

-1 email for work& other official stuff
-1 private email for family & friends
-1 email for registeration stuff
No.
I have 4 email boxes.
1 - on work domain and although I can I never send anything from it outside of the firm
2 - on hotmail that's linked to my paypal acc and nothing else
3 - gmail acc for everything else except
4 - some old junk domain email box used to register on pron and suspicious sites I actually never log onto because all these sites are actually spammail generators

I avoid any kind of registration anywhere if it's possible and if there is an alternative. I don't want to make, write and remember billions of different nicks and different passwords.

I avoid any kind of registration anywhere if it's possible and if there is an alternative. I don't want to make, write and remember billions of different nicks and different passwords.

Don't make billions of different nicks and passwords :)

For what it actually costs (nothing), the Nexus is great; I've used it many times for providing content and downloading mods. As they say, don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

My only problem with the Nexus is that download speeds can be downright pitiful these days if you're not premium…

As I imagine many others do so, I relented and bought 1 month of premium status so that my <50kb/s download rate (…) would get bumped up - and it did, to 2-4mb/s.

Beyond that, it's a great site for encouraging modding and giving proper credit where it's due.

Wow, it must be where you live. I'm premium, download from Dallas and get great speed. I've been supporting them year by year for a long time. I could have done the lifetime thing but I don't mind giving Robin some moolah.

Eh, nut, if you're already premium, you don't have a baseline to compare to :p I'm not a fan of how they took away server choice for non-premium.

Back
Top Bottom