State of the (whole) world - 2022

D

DArtagnan

So, I'm not one to be particularly affected by the (perceived) state of the world, as I'm well aware that negative news wins every day of the week, and twice on sundays.

However, lately, I'm slightly more concerned than usual.

No, not so much because of the war in Europe, the inflation, or the ever-corruptible nature of the human approach to life. Mostly, I think it's climate change being even more hopelessly inevitable than it used to be.

I don't think it's an entirely selfish concern, because I don't think I will be personally affected (at least not directly) - and I have no children, so...

But I used to be a little more upbeat about the (distant) future of mankind.

I mean, there's a reason I'm such a big fan of Star Trek (modern Trek isn't that) :)

Anyway, I'm curious about what other people are thinking here.

Is the state of the world in the year 2022 really worse than it was, say, 50 years ago?

What do you think - and why?

Last edited by a moderator:
The Club of Rome explained many things we see today in our everyday life 50 years ago.

We are at the end of growth - the problem: many people don't want to see that.

Our economy has to come to an equilibrium with nature to secure biodiversity, re-growing resources - our very own basis of life.

We all overconsume and that's not good for the world. But most people don't really, really care... We all buy new phones, new cars, new clothes,....
Buying cars now has become like phones where we can buy entirely new cars every 3 years through leases.

Many people eat way too much and also eat shitty things, which are all packaged in an even worse way using plastics which will never degrade.

I know all of this yet I am part of the problem. I have very little in the way of feeling guilt or remorse because I do not see direct consequences to my actions so it is really just something g in the deep dark corner of my head which sometimes tells me I should be better.

I'm maybe projecting but I feel like most people are like this.
I know only of a few people in my life that have actively given up meat, stopped buying new things regularly, etc.

I really try to use things for a long period of time (my current computer is a quad-core from 2007 for example, with an gfx-card upgrade).
I use shoes and cloth much longer than "normal" people. I buy quality - this is expensive on first sight, but lasts much longer, so it's cheaper on the long run.
I still have and use my Marantz amplifier from the early 90s for example.

I really try to use things for a long period of time (my current computer is a quad-core from 2007 for example, with an gfx-card upgrade).
I use shoes and cloth much longer than "normal" people. I buy quality - this is expensive on first sight, but lasts much longer, so it's cheaper on the long run.
I still have and use my Marantz amplifier from the early 90s for example.
Yes, you're one of those exceptions I talked about 😊

I certainly think the outlook is pretty bleak, at least in terms of the lives we've been used to.

Even that most optimistic fantasy of the future, Star Trek, imagined we'd have WW3 and hit a deeper rock bottom before we eventually started to sort our act out. I actually see that as a fairly likely scenario - that things truly fall apart, and the human population is drastically reduced.

The thing is, unless we manage to fully annihilate ourselves, humans have such a huge evolutionary advantage of intelligence that if only a small sample survives, we are very likely to mount a comeback.

The question is whether we actually learn something and do create a better future, or if it's just a case of "All this has happened before, and it will happen again."

Well in the words of Fallout which by the way is true of Humankind.

Frankly you can not change human nature easily.

I was actually thinking on this just this morning. A friend of my parents came over and asked how they were doing. I told them they were busy having a well drilled, as they are in one of the many parts of the world right now undergoing drought. That's as far as I went with that line of talk however, as he is recently moved from Texas... to Florida. Climate change is a farce of course, unless it hits you upside the head personally.

Anyway, I'm pretty dire on my overall opinion of humanity. We are a bunch of self-absorbed, tribalistic apes who like power and familiarity. There is very little that steers us from this path aside from something calamitous.

Are we better off now than just after WW2? For the "West", I honestly don't think so. Fear is a great motivator, and the Soviet Union - if nothing else - united us in a common fear of inevitable doom. By contrast, the West is now more fractured and tribalistic thanks in no small part to that collapse but also the rise of the internet affirming every foolish idea under the sun.

I don't think I disagreed with a single thing said here.

I guess man will have to lie in whatever bed he makes for himself. I'll just point out, as Ripper did, we will only destroy ourselves, make things unlivable for ourselves on Earth. The planet will carry on until our sun, most likely, burns out. The planet will simply slough us off like a snake rubbing its skin off on a rock, leaving a chapter of its life in the dust, the future ahead bright. I also wouldn't be surprised if man burns himself out, by and large, long before the sun does. Maybe he'll survive, poetically cowering on Earth amidst the ruins he has made for himself, or bobbing perilously on the great black sea of space.

Mother Nature won't care either way. She'd likely be glad for another chance at the wheel, if she cared all that much, for a dominant species on this planet. I agree a catastrophe will be needed to change man's mindset in a significant way. Hopefully, it'll be a small one, cosmically speaking.

Last edited:
Maybe I should add what I hope, too, since I, too, understand how superior the original Star Trek was to whatever it has devolved into now.

Yes, I do fear this kind of devolution is man's natural tendency. We should strive to crush J.J. Abrams' mutant strain, rather than giving in to what so many call the inevitable. Yes, maybe people do love their CGI and simplistic narratives, but maybe you should also take a break from your brilliant commentary once in a while to wiggle your wide ass out of that movie seat and see the wider world as it really is. I hope people will watch the seas rise a mere 10 feet, and that will be enough to get out of their chairs to fix the problems as best they can, no matter how foreseeable those problems might have been, like so many times before. I hope that small amount of devastation will be enough to turn man's mind to his greater, overall health.

So, here's to hoping the flood drowns all the Hollywood directors and we can return to something more resembling the original series. Slainte Mhath.

Thing is, we just got out of an ice age 12000 years ago, when half the globe was covered in ice. And man was scratching out an existence. Now here we are and half the globe is baking away. And man is scratching out an existence. So, yeah, the problems have changed, but we're also better at adapting than we were back then. I expect there was a fair bit of gloom and doom while prehistoric man was shivering his ass off sitting on a glacier. We've certainly got plenty of gloom and doom going around now.

And yet, here we are.

I agree, and this is why my closet optimist will never quite die, it seems. Perhaps you heard a bit of anti-technology rhetoric in my impromptu stumpin,' and I wouldn't argue with you. But I would preach balance. That end of my personal balance grows increasingly heavy these days. But, still, I would preach balance.

It's hardly a new argument. Perhaps, it's one of the oldest. (Peace, ol' King Solomon.) They've argued it in the East for thousands of years, if not always practiced it so well. Who knows how long the natives in my country, and others, have made this argument?

But here, too, I would preach balance to navigate a pitfall i believe many environmentalists fall into. We humans may be a scourge on this planet in a way, but don't lose your perspective in failing to recognize that we are also an integral part of the nature that surrounds us, filters through us, birthed us all from the same womb, the same composite materials...Take my hand, pretty blonde environmentalist, and get on this horse. We've shit to build...

But I wouldn't get too cocky, myself, DTE. While we humans may have weathered an ice age before, that was a long time ago, and we've changed a lot. Think we have the same skills? The playing field's entirely different, anyway, given our number today, our societies, the nature of those societies and their sheer number, again.

To rely upon the ostensibly religious optimism some place in technology of the future, with uncanny timing, to somehow bail us out of a ship sinking today strikes me as the worst kind of foolishness. But, again, balance. I agree technology could do those things, and we should investigate. They may be needed to hold off the worst effects of the next ice age, or the next bad one. But I'll take a pass on "Hail, Mary" passes thrown blindly, a prayer whispered to no one in particular.

But I'm old school, people have always said. I was old school when I was a kid. I like to keep things simple, wherever and whenever I can, if i'm not always successful, to which this post can serve as testament.

Sure, we'll have to move on, if our arrogance in outrunning the sun carries us that far. Maybe we can. My closet optimist seems to think so, that dumb bastard. But wouldn't you want a safe harbor to launch from, a secure base of operations for you various missions? Wouldn't you want to keep the home fires burning, so you had something to return to or something to defend on your travels, even if you never saw home again? How many folksy cliches can I think of?

Even the animals meanest of thought know not to shit where they eat. I hope man one day finds the same wisdom.

Last edited:
Truth be told, I personify Mother Nature as a Bad Bitch and I'm convinced she's decided we've got a population problem on this planet (which we do). She's working her way thru the four horsemen with varying degrees of success. She finally had some traction going with the whole COVID thing until us pesky humans took the teeth out of that crocodile. So maybe we're back to wars being her gambit of choice? We'll see.

I guess I just don't have the proper amount of sympathy for the whole "rising oceans" thing. For one thing, it's a closed loop system so as all that water gets released out of the ice packs and warms up, suddenly you've got a great deal more moisture in the air that will fall back out and maybe just maybe we won't hear quite as much about droughts and fires out there in the enviro-nut state. But, to get back on point, I kinda lump the coastal folks in with the people that build neighborhoods in flood plains- you feel bad for them on a human level when their living room goes floating down the river every decade or so, but there's always that part of me that says, "Yep, there's a reason you got that land so cheap and you really shouldn't be surprised." So all those jokers in Miami (et al) are living it up in their beachfront mansions but at some point when there's a run on hip-waders and all their shit is floating out to sea, there's going to be that part of me that says, "Yep, half an army of climate scientists and an annoying and largely mindless horde of granola crunchers told you this was coming."

I agree.

I personify Mother Nature that way, too. I suppose you could look at it other ways, but the end result looks the same to me.

I believe we, today, only see the tip of the iceberg regarding the complex, intertwined systems that regulate the planet's health and ours. But we've thrown it out of whack with our numbers and our technology, which keeps our great numbers alive longer to consume every damn thing even more voraciously. Whether our numbers make us more unhealthy and we suffer more from the environmental health hazards ever-present on our planet or our numbers cause Mother Nature to throw us more curve balls to thin the herd or it's some combination of the two hardly seems important to me, until we fully understand how these systems work. Until then, it is quite possible to act responsibly, based on circumstantial evidence, like we do all the time. We still don't know what causes a healthy cell to turn cancerous, but we can still observe inhaling smoke sure doesn't help.

I also share your lack of concern for the works of man. If some rich assholes lose their beach houses or some boardwalk with its overpriced cotton candy and rental bikes and overpriced condos and everything else for rich assholes gets washed out, I won't cry much about it. Maybe we could make a public park out of it. Perhaps that's a good thing in the big picture. The atmosphere recovered remarkably well during the short span of pandemic lockdowns. Mother Nature, that fickle badass, will shrug us off like last summer's beach shawl.

Maybe, that's the way it should be, like a wildfire, one of the natural ones, caused by lightning, which burns down the healthy green to start anew, as was intended. Maybe it's like one of those controlled burns of prairie grass intentionally started by man with the same purpose, a healthy purpose, not the plague of random fires that follow man in his clumsy carelessness like a wake of flame cutting through a forest.

But I don't even like people that much. I cry for the trees and hills, not the rich asshole's house, no matter how many photos of his kids were inside. Maybe I'm as cruel as Mother Nature is, but I'm usually in the minority opinion. :)

Edit:
One more thought, like these posts weren't long enough already, and I'll shut up, because i'll truly have run out of things to say on this subject. My oversimplifications above are just that. It's all a matter of perspective.

If I take a step in closer, I can tell you I'm not always as cavalier as I sound here, though I mean both just the same. Both are the truth.

I can tell you there may be no other man I've seen so crushed as the old man I once spoke to soon after accidentally setting his own house afire, quite literally. He and his wife, with no family and no money, were headed to a brief reprieve from the cruelty of man offered by the Red Cross, but then who knows? I know the devastation, the feeling of violation, the loss of property can cause. Revolutions have been fought over it. I've talked to plenty of people crushed worse, but they were generally people who accidentally killed their own children (The purposeful ones don't care so much.) or who were intentionally crushed, damaged by others, as children. When I take a step back from that devastated boardwalk, my thoughts depend upon the end result on the greater good over time. A public park is a good trade.

If one were to take a further step back from my observation about the health of the atmosphere during the pandemic, one might falsely assume I would be one of the many in my country who advocated simply letting the virus run its course, killing many more of the weak than we wound up doing. I was not. I believe such a decision is far more devastating to man in terms of the greater good in less-tangible, though possibly more-important, ways than the death toll. How one deals with adversity is the measure of a man. Man measures his societies, in quite a few ways, and rightly so, by how they care for those who can't care for themselves: the sick, the poor, the infirmed, newborn infants, mothers in childbirth, the elderly, prisoners. My country scores poorly amongst industrialized nations in all these categories. Mental health, whatever that is exactly, is important, too.

I can't recommend being as cruel as Mother Nature, and it's not how I live my everyday life. I don't recommend it for any society. These things are complicated, and we don't understand how exactly they work yet. But I know our health and the planet's are inexorably tied, at least for now. Mother Nature is cruel, and she can devastate our planet worse than we can. While our planet is hardly helpless, I think we should help ourselves by helping our planet, just as we should care for anyone who has lost his house to fire.

Cruelty is not the will of God, as I would imagine it, not as judged and administered by man. We are not helpless. We can make healthy decisions. God helps those who help themselves, they say, and I suspect from first-hand experience He just might look after drunks. After all, someone needs to. I don't drink anymore, so I'm screwed. As for the rest of you, slainte mhath.

Last edited:
Ah, the whole "there's a greater meaning" theory.

Well, that's hard to say - and I don't have the requisite insight to counter the vast majority of scientific evidence warning us about the dire state of the future.

That said, it's not that I don't think we can survive as human beings, it's more that it obviously won't impact the rich and powerful - until the very last moment. I don't hold anything against the rich. From my point of view - all human beings are equally flawed and laughably inept.

Being rich is just the same human nature in a privileged position - which has an effect on behavior that will be the same no matter who happens to hold it.

It's just that the rich are in the minority - and that means the majority will be the ones to suffer.

It will first weaken or eliminate the already weak or nearly eliminated. It will expand the gap between the haves and have-nots.

Ok, that's not set in stone - but that's what history seems to support.

I do think we're ripe for some kind of wide scale revolution, even if that's going to cost a lot of lives and misery.

I just have this notion that we could have avoided such a thing - with a much smaller impact.

That's what makes me sad.

I'm quite optimistic about how it will turn out in the end. Will things change for the worse? I'm pretty sure, that it will for the next few hundred years.

Probably famine, huge migration and the resulting conflicts from that. A lot of people will likely die from things we have often been spared the last century, but which used to kill most of us: Starvation, heat/cold, disease, violence.

But after that I believe we humans, and nature as well, will start to recuperate and adapt well to whatever environment we have to live in.

I'll just do my part and hope it's enough to improve something, and we'll see what happens.

I was just thinking of this thread while reading some news and comments on climate change.

To be frank, I believe the activists and media have done an abysmal job of promoting change. In fact I believe they've damaged a lot of people's will to even try.

Messages of doom ("It's too late") tap into our energy preserving reactions and mechanisms. When nothing can be done, animals try to spend as little energy as possible while waiting for an opportunity to get out of that situation (like famine, being stuck somewhere in a storm, being taken prisoner, and so on) .

And messages of panic ("We have to act now or out kids will die!") tap into our flight systems, and make us want to escape and hide with our loved ones most of the time. Rarely we fight, and if so, only for a short while.

Our emotions are primitive motivational and reactive systems to promote sudden and temporary action in the face of current hardship and threat, not far future threats.

We get flooded in messages of panic and hopelessness by most media outlets, and social media reinforces it. And the counter reaction by media not following that narrative is conspiracy theories and other fear mongering instead.

Ugh, I'm rambling, but I just read another moralizing, panicked climate change opinion piece. I'm on the same "side" as that journalist, and still what they write makes me want to vomit.

Back
Top Bottom