Swordhaven: Iron Conspiracy. Discussion of ATOM team's new cRPG.

They're apparently going to start beta testing either this month or early March.

No rings?

A brave and revolutionary move. It's about time rings got the chop, just pointless unnecessary clutter that prevents me from getting on with the good stuff.

No rings?

A brave and revolutionary move. It's about time rings got the chop, just pointless unnecessary clutter that prevents me from getting on with the good stuff.
Probably doesn't have rings because it's a low-fantasy game with little-to-no magic. So magical rings wouldn't be a thing, and without the possibility of being magical, rings seem kind of pointless.

Probably doesn't have rings because it's a low-fantasy game with little-to-no magic. So magical rings wouldn't be a thing, and without the possibility of being magical, rings seem kind of pointless.
If there's no magic, my interest just took a significant dive. I hope that doesn't turn out to be true.

If there's no magic, my interest just took a significant dive. I hope that doesn't turn out to be true.
Well, they said you cannot start out the game as a magic-user, but implied magic was something you could possibly learn as the game progresses.

The necklaces must just be for bling value then, I guess.

Or perhaps they are convertible to use as a reserve sling?

The necklaces must just be for bling value then, I guess.

Or perhaps they are convertible to use as a reserve sling?
Dunno. The slot is labeled "neck" and not "necklace". I've played some older games where the neck slot is treated as a kind of armor, as in it can provide protection to your neck area. The icon in the neck slot in this screenshot doesn't look like that kind of neck piece, but it does have some strange-looking thing hanging from it that might have some practical, non-magical use?

Ah yes, the bow tie of greater influence, +2 to rabbits out the hat and card vanishing.

Well, they said you cannot start out the game as a magic-user, but implied magic was something you could possibly learn as the game progresses.
I asked about magic on their Discord channel, and they seemed to confirm that.

"Question: What level of magic will be in this game? Will there be a spellbook? Will there be dedicated spellcasters?"

"You can't start the game as a mage. Nor will you be able to launch fireballs. At least not from the beginning 😉"

Well, even in high-fantasy Forgotten Realms I can't launch fireballs from the beginning. ;)

But the implication that you start as a profane character and can possibly gain magical powers seems intriguing. I like it when char development is a little slower and you don't become a a demi-god by the end of the game.

Here's what one of the devs said about it a few months back, in a thread on the Codex:

https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads...from-the-atom-team.149566/page-2#post-8668640

Having read that post, I assumed there wouldn't be much magic even later in the game - doesn't sound like anyone in your party is going to become a mage over the course of the game, or anything like that. But it's also possible that they've changed their minds during the development process. A lot of the statements (including what JDR got on Discord) are pretty cryptic...

Having read that post, I assumed there wouldn't be much magic even later in the game - doesn't sound like anyone in your party is going to become a mage over the course of the game, or anything like that.
Yeah, that's also how I am reading it. Too bad.

But it's also possible that they've changed their minds during the development process. A lot of the statements (including what JDR got on Discord) are pretty cryptic...
I don't know what their current schedule is but imho a decision like this must be made at a very early design step. It affects so many parts of the game that you can hardly add it somewhen later.

I get the impression from what has been said that you start out without magic but over time you can learn a bit here and there; there is definitely a hint that later in the game under the right circumstances you will be lobbing fireballs ;) However the impression is that it is not innate like many dnd games.

I get the impression from what has been said that you start out without magic but over time you can learn a bit here and there; there is definitely a hint that later in the game under the right circumstances you will be lobbing fireballs ;) However the impression is that it is not innate like many dnd games.
My guess is that it takes inspiration from Dungeon Rats more than it does the IE games, at least in terms of mechanics.

Dungeon Rats made a big deal out of presenting a no-to-low-whatever magic setting - and then provides the player with numerous fireball hand grenades, which were just about the only useful way to progress the game in most instances.

This one specific piece of extreme irony is still one of my strongest memories of my time in that game.

This. I think people are being too quick to assume that there's hardly going to be any magic. The impression I'm getting is that it's just going to take longer to obtain than in most typical fantasy RPGs.

Back
Top Bottom