The circumstance where I think piracy is acceptable

I'm not sure about that. When I play Action-RPGs, I fail to see that this is "art", however, there are other games out there which I do consider as "art".

The problem is rather a philosophical one, and my point was ... originally ... to point out that "hacking" has some consequences. I mean, if I do a game, why would I put a copy protection on that in the first place ?

In my "A Though" blog-like writing, I once proposed doing a Freeware game, which requires a CD of any kind being in the CD-drive of the PC the game is running on.
My goal with that was, to force hackers to hack a game which is free in the first place - so that the satisfation feeling of "I'm so 1337 ! I hacked a corporate game !" would get entirely lost.

Hacking is imho not a one-way affair. Instead, it affects people, too. Not only game producing & publishing firms.

In the example of the music band with the not sold music CDs : It
's a shame, actually. They put so much effort and money into recording this kind of music, letting CDs getting pressed at one CD manufacturing plant - and then no-one buys them ! That must be extremely frustrating.
Therefore, I go the other way . I say to my self . " find their work really good, so I consciously decide to buy this CD they made to honour their work and especially their efforts !"

Concerts, witnessing them live, that is absolutely great ! But, unless someone has a very good memory, it is a little bit like streaming as well : It's gone at one point.
So, from my point of view, it is entirely acceptable to have the wish to have a CD for a longer time, than just "streaming". It helps the own memory, too !

Which is why I'm so much against "game as a service, and do as many screenshots from within the game as I can : Only these screenshots will be there to help my memory when the servers are cut off ... Like music CDs.

In my opinion, it is a real shame that art is commercialized that much. Just take a look at how much burned down at Universal. "The Day The Music Burned"

Commerce is only interested in money. In generating moey and more money and, even more money, to be exact. Like ... a hunger that can never be or get filled.

Therefore, commerce is marginalizing anything art, and that means, art becomes a "throwaway product". Fire & Forget.

Culturally important things should be preserved, imh. And, if for preserving things for countless future generations piracy is necessary, because commerce just won't do that, then I believe that piracy should be - performed by an entity which is allowed to do that, like ... just as an example ... the UNO organization, if that's going to be "the memory of humanty", for example. Or, the U.S. Congress Library.

However, preserving the past for the future might also beging as some kind of "grass root" thing. So, from that perspective, piracy should be allowed by the law after let's say 40-50 years after a game has been published, for example. We most certainly do not want a "Day The Games Burned".
In the Freeware example, I'd say cracking it would probably be more a way to make it less tedious to play the game. Having to insert a CD every time is annoying. That's why streaming is so widespread: incredible convenience for the customer.

I really doubt most people who crack games do it only for the status. I'd guess most of them do it for the challenge of reverse engineering, and then it's an added incentive to compete to be the first. A few might also have some anti-capitalist reasons or something similar.

About the concert: My point was that people who go to concerts likely already bought the CDs (or listened to them on streaming services). So why should they buy another copy at the show? Or do you mean that the band you mentioned didn't sell any CDs at all, even in stores? And was this before streaming services became ubiquitous?

First, how is this "controversial" as some have put it? It's not like anyone is posting links or instructions on how to do it.

I don't pirate games unless it's to briefly try one that doesn't have a demo. If I like it, I buy it. If not, I don't. Either way, I delete that copy as soon as I make the decision.

I'm not as noble when it comes to TV shows. With the ridiculousness of so many different streaming exclusive now, I have no qualms about downloading a show I want to see if I don't have that streaming service.

I have a different theory: he came back home with his newly freed bike, then he saw his REAL bike and remembered that he hadn't taken it with him that day...
Hehe. That would've been even more embarrassing.

The most interesting thing to me was that only two young women, out of several hundred people who walked by, actually came up to me to ask if it was my bike. Pretty brave of them since I was, and probably looked, pretty annoyed.

I'm not as noble when it comes to TV shows. With the ridiculousness of so many different streaming exclusive now, I have no qualms about downloading a show I want to see if I don't have that streaming service.
I subscribe to each streaming service I need, but only for as long as I'm actively watching a show on there. I watch a whole lot of shows so I've got 10+ different streaming services I'm starting back up / cancelling on a regular basis. Have to remember to cancel each one after I watch the last episode of whatever show I've got it for. Amazon is the only one that's "always on". Others that I need at different times of the year are Netflix, HBO Max, Hulu, Apple TV+, Paramount+, Disney+, BritBox, AMC+, Epix, and Starz.

And to think, people once thought this was a better model than cable TV + a DVR. :LOL:

Amazon is the only one that's "always on". Others that I need at different times of the year are Netflix, HBO Max, Hulu, Apple TV+, Paramount+, Disney+, BritBox, AMC+, Epix, and Starz.
Trying to juggle all that would just annoy the hell out of me, but I'm not a big TV person.

Netflix is the only one I pay separately for. I've got Epix and Starz as part of my cable package.

Back
Top Bottom