The Making Of Dwarf Fortress

There's a demon pit on every local map that shows as mountanious on the regional embark map, since you usually select a 6x6 area of the region (out of 16x16?) when chosing your site there's a low but reasonable chance if you're in a mountanious area.

True, I think the thing I'd most like to see added to the interface at the moment is an easy way to lay out large mining patterns quickly.

Anyway to create traps that would drop a monster into a pit or a pond?
Somekind of floor grates that could be linked to switch and opened when the time is right - dropping anything walking on them?

Haven't figured one out yet, there's a delay between hitting a switch and the hatch opening, might be able to improve that time with better quality mechanisms. I've considered having a long hall with switches tripping hatches so that following gobins drop the hatches under the leaders. might also be useful as a way to channel invaders.

Gawd, this is a hard game to get started. I expect some of my problem is self-inflicted since I have real problems blindly leaping into something that should be carefully planned from the very beginning. I printed out the tutorial and made some progress, but I feel like I'm doing a scavenger hunt in a cathedral by candlelight. I'm slowly getting used to the controls, so that might make things go better. Maybe I'm due for a restart or two...

The learning curve is like a smack in the face. Don't be worried about restarting a few times to experiment its a good way to get to grips with the interface and gameplay.

It would be possible to have 20 grates in a row connected to a switch, yes?
Delays or wrong timings would not matter then.

Also I've been planning (inspired by goblin corpses being washed to a lake due to the heavy water flow) some kind of water trap that would push invaders over a cliff edge or something. I wonder if that would work if enough water and water pressure would be used.

The learning curve is like a smack in the face. Don't be worried about restarting a few times to experiment its a good way to get to grips with the interface and gameplay.

More like getting mugged, IMO. It took me about five, six hours to get the interface under some kind of control. If you stick with it that long, it'll start to pay off.

I really don't feel that it is THAT bad.

It takes a few hours to really get into it, yes, but it does not feel like
work. At least it did not feel like that to me. Pretty much right away when I had learned few basics (how to dig, how to cut trees) I started trying some silly things and I had funny things happen to me pretty much all the time. I was having fun.
I was able to embrace the losing is fun -philosophy right from the beginning.

And yes, I restarted the game about 20 times :D

I have too many cats in my fortress. Can I put them all into a cage and put the cage somewhere... with lots of water....

I like to eat the kittens, its a race between the butcher and the cat lovers to see who gets them first.

(oh and I see on the forum that while a falling rock won't kill someone a falling animal will, I'm sure there's some horifying trap involving death by cat in that)

Yum. Kitten and dwarven wine roast...

A Chinese colleague of mine mentioned that there's a traditional Guangdong dish called "The Battle of the Lion and the Dragon," which is, basically, cat with snake. Perhaps there's some dwarf blood in the Guangdongnese...

I'm gonna go pick-up some chinese from my favourite chinese restaurant tonight.
Unfortunately - they don't serve cat or snake :(

We'll see soon if it's possible in DF to put cats in a cage and drown them....

Trolls! Tons of Goblins! I'm getting the biggest siege I've seen yet.
Moooommmyyyyy!!!

We'll see how my defenses perform. I'll report back.

Haaahahahah! Thanks for the weapon-trap tip V7.
My dwarves will be having troll-lasagne soon :D
My fortress entrance is filled with troll limbs :D

This is so unbelievably cool!!!!

....mmmmmust... resist... no... screenshots...
don't.. post... screenshots... aaaahh!

Last edited:
um.. screenshots, how to?

alt + printscreen, it grabs a screenie from the active window.
Then paste it to picture software.

and to put them up here?

Back
Top Bottom