The Queen is dead

Ritual absolutely has it own power.

My Dad was called up to the Royal Air Force towards the end of WW2. My Dad said he, like so many others, went without question to fight for King and Country. In times of war and crisis a monarch offers neutrality rather than a politician from one side of politics with some agenda (real or perceived).

It's time we (the UK) had a serious discussion about the monarchy. In my view, there's far too many of them, it's fallen into soap opera / celebrity culture. While they are it, they can also take a look at all the other nonsense titles we have here, marquis, viscounts, dukes, lords, barons - that seem only to preserve the bizarre class system we have here.

While they are it, they can also take a look at all the other nonsense titles we have here, marquis, viscounts, dukes, lords, barons - that seem only to preserve the bizarre class system we have here.
Those are honorific titles, so they are not nonsense in themselves, especially since they are still granted. The sexist hereditary system is outdated though, but I don't know whether current titles are only life peerages (and knighthoods) or sometimes still hereditary. Still, this part would deserve revision if that's possible at all, at least for future ones - the current ones have already been granted with specific clauses so it would be more difficult to break them.

In UK it seems that your class system is very complicated, or at least used to, where attending specific schools are required to get some jobs, specific titles are required to get some others, the temporary titles, the hereditary rules, ... I suppose that the school part is not true anymore these days.

Here those titles don't really give an advantage other than the occasional nepotism. Most usually don't even mention them.

I'm personally against anything and everything that promotes the idea that people are of different levels of importance, prestige or status.

Positions should be ones of function, not of any of the above. So, if there was a way to have a Monarchy without them - I guess that might work, but that would seem to go against the very nature of the thing.

I consider any kind of official support for that sort of mindset to be infinitely more destructive to humanity (all living beings, really) than whatever financial or strategic benefit it may or may not have.

As for whatever theatre is played where 90% of the people involved pretend they have some kind of special empathy or interest for the dead person - I consider that level of dishonesty and self-promotional display nauseating.

But also very common and very human.

We watched a bit of The Queue footage, endless streams of people attending the lying in state. The voice in my head inexplicably said "Soylent Green is People" and Mr Qayto pointed out, I had said it out loud.

Although not for me, I don't condemn those who felt the need to participate in the funeral proceedings. Some folk find those shared moments, I dunno, cathartic, enjoyable?

Although not for me, I don't condemn those who felt the need to participate in the funeral proceedings. Some folk find those shared moments, I dunno, cathartic, enjoyable?
I can't speak for others, but for me going to a funeral is a way to deal with the loss and meditate about it, and to be among other people I know (or like-minded in this case). It's also a mark of respect and empathy for those who were close to the deceased.

I've never been to the funeral of someone I didn't know personally though, I don't think I would feel the need to, but if I did it would be for the same reason. So perhaps some people were there for a similar purpose, at least I'd like to think so.

I would certainly not pretend to condemn them for doing so, except if they're obviously out of place. I suppose there are always people who just need to be seen for one reason or another. It may be hypocritical but it doesn't really hurt anyone.

The voice in my head inexplicably said "Soylent Green is People" and Mr Qayto pointed out, I had said it out loud.
Say it loud and proud. Such a great movie. I wonder what they did with the queen after all of the cameras were turned off...

I didn't make it to the queen's queue, but I did buy this T-shirt...
20220922-180634.jpg

When I was watching the burial ceremony, I felt like - and a TV commentator sauid this as well - like looking with a looking glass (I'd say : a Palantír) into the past.

This is something we'll never see again. Charles, maybe, but never again.

A British (?) TV commentator also said that this was also kind of ... like the British people mourning the state of their country ...

Back
Top Bottom