The Queen is dead

Morrandir

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Long live the King.

(I don't really care, but I've always wanted to say that.)

And in the shadows the princes plot to become the next king.:mwahaha:

Seriously though yeah she was the longest ruling queen in history. There was a story two days ago I read where she was bruised and looked weak. So god save the queen.

Although she had lived so long and there had been those rumors of her health, It feels unexpected. And it feels like end of an era. As long as I've lived, she has been there ruling UK as their sovereign and being the queen we all know.

Just to think, all the things she must have experienced throughout her long reign. She was really someone who did her duty.

Rest in peace.

The love of her life passed not too long ago, I'm not surprised that she didn't linger long here afterwards. Although my family has had long-standing issues with some of those in power within the UK, the Queen herself was a class act, brimming with integrity and a fully developed sense of duty. RIP.

Sad news.

I hope her loved ones take care of one another and that paparazzi journalists give them a small window of peace and quiet.

From my own experience of loved ones dying, sometimes death can be not only sadness and grief, but also a time of coming together, sharing, loving and laughing. And if the loved one suffered: relief that it is over.

As I listen to people remember and reflect on the queen, the woman, and the queen, the monarchy's role in British life, it has prompted this strange, somewhat-hermetical man who sometimes roams the hills of the American West with his shotgun to offer this opinion that no one, not even the hills, asked for.

As I listen to these reflections, I reflect on my own staunch opposition to monarchies in general, dictators and the general sense of foolish trust people place into any one man, system or ideology. And I look ahead to the inevitable debates about whether the sensible Brits should finally ditch this antiquated monarchy. The answer, which came quickly and quite easily, is I hope they keep it.

Why, I might ask myself, if I didn't already know, considering your staunch opposition to such things, which is right and true? Well, my friend, if that's what you are, *eyes him suspiciously* it's because the Brits are so sensible. Their modern monarchy is nothing like that dreaded list above. It's just a figurehead. It's been gutted of its power. It's largely meaningless. That may be strictly true, since you did say "laregly," but it is not meaningless, as you know. What are you doing there, by the way? Put that back.

Now, while the modern British monarchy has been gutted of its effectual power, that does not mean it holds no power at all. Consider the power of tradition, even if it will be represented by a figure as unpopular as the awkward head of the new king. It is the tradition itself that is powerful. It has weight, gravity. Gravitas.

One of the reflections I heard was from an American ambassador of some kind. She was telling this story simply as another testament to the queen's kindness during their brief meeting. The ambassador was going through the usual ceremony of being issued her credentials, a pompous ceremony some might find ridiculous. Normally, a horse-drawn carriage would've carried this woman to this ceremony, but it wasn't available for some reason I missed. So, the queen, kind soul she was, insisted upon sending her personal car to pick up this ambassador.

But, for me, that wasn't the point of this story. I'm sure the queen was a kind woman, and I suspect she was one of those people who can achieve greatness simply through being who they are, not the offices they hold. The point, for me, was, strangely enough, the ceremony itself. Normally, I don't go in for these kinds of things much. You'll find me outside smoking, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't happen.

Even frivolous ceremonies have their place, an important role, in fact, and I hope the most sensible Brits realize this. That little ceremony, if you heard this ambassador and people like her talk, conveys the weight of the office she is taking. She straightens up and acts right, something that hopefully continues on through her career every time she looks at those credentials or hears their mention.

I think about my own country, and its quest toward the privatization of the traditional responsibilities of government that has been underway and gathering steam my whole life. I'm not opposed to the idea entirely, but I would preach balance.

I think of our prisons in the U.S., and the wave of privatization that has nearly swallowed them all, a problem no one wants to look at lest they be compelled to actually do something about it. Those problems are made exponentially worse by the nameless, faceless corporate business model brought to us by Henry Ford and ridiculously applied to every damn thing in the States, a model that allows the cruelty of man to hide inside so easily. Those prison guards, whether they work for the government or a corporation, wear largely the same uniforms, the same badges. But for one of them, you take an oath to your country and its citizens. There is an added spring in one's step from this sort of work that is not provided by checking boxes of that which you agree to legally. It's not just a spring in the step, people's behavior changes, too, for the better, like schoolchildren assigned uniforms. I have read a few different analyses that have fleshed this idea out with actual evidence I do not possess.

I think of NASA. Sure, the robber barons of the world, these self-styled masters of the universe, might get Job #1 accomplished more quickly or perhaps, in some ways, better, but that's not the whole job. I think of all the future atrocities men like Musk and Bezos are likely to commit without the public looking over their shoulders, as we move from exploration to colonization and exploitation of resources, including people.

There are other examples I won't bore you with, as I have myself. Not every job is best done by government, but certain ones are. They're often the most-important ones, and they deserve the gravitas brought by government or, even more powerful, tradition.

People need tradition. They need stories. They need history. People have a need for religion. You know me, my potential friend. You know I'm not a religious man. I have formed my own code, which we both suspect is rather similar to many of those values found in Christianity. Both of us, after all, are American. But I've heard you say there's Buddhism in there. I bet you're right, but I really don't know that much about these things. This code I talk about is just the pieces of these things I agree with. While I might call it something personal, it would be nothing at all without these influences I've mentioned...and many more, I'm sure. The need is there, whatever you want to call it.

The Brits have wisely neutered their modern monarchy. The Brits have a long history, and much of it has been quite sensible, but I hope they aren't too sensible on this score. I hope they continue their modern winning streak by keeping their traditions, even if not every monarch will be such a winner as Elizabeth.

Last edited:
Thing is, the office of the President has lacked gravitas since Reagan (and I'm sure there are a few fools out there that would insist you have to go beyond that). You've got maniacs like Trump (whose policies I still largely embrace, but the guy himself is pretty well mental and a shame to the office), stumbling stammering jokes like Sleepy Joe, jokers sticking cigars in a woman's hoo-ha in the Oval Office... So I'm not sure you're really get much "fly right" off the government shield. Even the Monarchy has issues on that front - the whole Diana thing pretty much from start to finish, the Epstein connections, princes asking to be excused from the whole thing...

I take your point. It could be too cumbersome to be effective. The idea does require the active participation of the royal critters in their modern zoo. At least to some degree, they do need to take their jobs seriously, if not so much as Elizabeth.

Some of the stuff you mentioned I don't think is a big deal, including the prince wanting out. That's good stuff, good fodder for the needed stories. The idle rich on display, however, should probably steer clear of their billionaire buddies who pimp underage girls on the side.

So, Ripper, as the only subject of the U.K. here I'm aware of, what do you think the future of your monarchy should be?

It's always good to have an escape plan. What do you think the future of the monarchy should be?

Well, as an Irish lad, my thoughts might come from a different perspective than most: let it go. It served the kingdom well in its time, let these people become part of the main stream populace now, to honestly make their own way in the world. They can still inspire others, possibly more than ever before. Blood makes you no more special than anyone else on this planet, full stop.

Couldn't agree more with that last line..and the rest, really. I'm sure there are plenty of reasons to drop it I would agree with, but I did have another small thought I failed to mention earlier.

Everyone likes money. I've heard mention often enough about the cost of maintaining the royal family, but has anyone ever studied what they generate? If I'm not mistaken, tourism is no small industry in the U.K. and particularly London, maybe the most international city on the globe. The royal family is kind of like their Mickey Mouse, and all the traditions that surround them their Disneyland. What would any photo spread of London be without at least one photo of immovable, fuzzy-headed palace guards that are guarding something more than just another museum?

As an Irish lad, I can understand why you might not be so interested in Mickey Mouse. Slainte. :)

Does the monarchy really exist or is it a facade at this point and really just a democracy with a mask on? I mean they dont really do anything other than put up a front for their government do they?

Does the monarchy really exist or is it a facade at this point and really just a democracy with a mask on? I mean they dont really do anything other than put up a front for their government do they?
It's called a Constitutional Monarchy - In theory, they still have some power, but it's mostly a ceremonial role. A few other countries have it too like Belgium.
They difficulty is that they are an unelected head of state which is what republicans are against. Monarchists say it's a thousand year old tradition that is not that costly (in the grand scheme of things) to the taxpayer and adds prestige to the country.

I'm off the opinion that it is outdated and shows that the UK is still an aristocratic country, where the rich matter more than the poor by virtue of birth.

I'm not UK citizen but I live in a monarchy too.

I think it can still serve since it's the only part of the government that is permanent, and so in every little capacity it still has, monarchy can maintain fundamental values, unity and a general direction for the country. I'm not following the UK monarchy very closely but in Belgium it looks like they're aware of this role, show a real care for all classes of citizens and promote important values like art, aid, culture, religion, traditions, ... I wouldn't expect the elected part of our system to have any sort of constancy in that regard, certainly not with coalitions, an army of ministers in each region and similar nonsense.

So, Ripper, as the only subject of the U.K. here I'm aware of, what do you think the future of your monarchy should be?
Sorry, didn't spot this one, and wasn't paying too much attention to the Queen discussion.

As you said, I do think there is some real value in maintaining a ceremonial head of state, as opposed to that status being conferred on a politician. When you look at the extraordinary behaviour of much of the country in its mourning ritual, my theory is that this level of national feeling is not actually unique to us, but rather that we've sort of channeled and concentrated it into this peculiar and largely benign institution. IMO, there might be quite a lot to be said for diverting all that flag-waving energy in that way. The thing is, I think you need to have a fairly extraordinary person wearing the crown to pull that off.

The comedian Stephen Fry once asked an American interviewer to imagine Uncle Sam as a real being, and every week the President has to go up the hill to discuss the state of play with him. "Now then, young fella my lad, are you sure what you're doing is the best thing for my country?" It's essentially ritualistic, but I think ritual can have its own sort of power.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom