The top 3 awesomy features of any fantasy-RPG

Balbus

Old thing
(please, correct my english)

"I've made a littl'list" : according to what I read from players[*], actually. An unordered list, besides the obvious leveluping. But *a list* and so, I would say :
- dragons
- riding horses
- romance

It may all be about sociology, I do not know.

In a modern settings, it would be different. Guns and cars that can be driven (and leveluping), but I am not so sure about romance and a dragon equivalent.

The videogame "journalist" (another species) seems to be fond of "multiplayer". If a game does not have any MP mode, it lacks something and the sin is listed in the "minus" (versus "plus") summary at the end of an article.

So: romance, dragons, mountable horses. Would that be the *top three* ? What valorous feature did I miss ?

[*] sometimes called "fans" by videogame companies, or themselves, even if a bit scary so-to-say.

Wow, that's umm...a really horrible list man.

I agree that it's a horrible list. To make it TRULY horrible add my wife's top awesome feature of any fantasy RPG - levitation :rolleyes:

Dragons - Not necessary
Riding horses - Even less necessary
Romance - Not even remotely necessary!

What an odd list. :p

Replace "dragons" with "unicorns" and I'm supporting this list ! ;)

I agree that it's a horrible list. To make it TRULY horrible add my wife's top awesome feature of any fantasy RPG - levitation :rolleyes:

Ah, so we have a trollertainment thread then…well you've got a good start there. ;)

DArtagnan preceeded me, too bad! Anyway…

1 - Bioware's Awesome Button
2 - Awesome DLC featuring lots of boredom
3 - True awesome Beautiful style love stories

And with the new Awesome Button in Dragon Age 3, with a button you can cast any spell in the game, and with the second you can start the ending credits: a 4 hours scene with just one flashing word: A-W-E-S-O-M-E. Great, huh?

Hmms, so it has to be fantasy specific? In other words, stuff like story and writing is simply not valid?

If so, I'd say magic is the nr. 1 thing. Magic systems such as the one in Might and Magic 6-8 truly adds a lot to a fantasy game.

Edit: Also, if people find the OPs list so bad, make one yourself. Keep in mind that it's somehow related to fantasy, which means you can't list "the interactive world of Gothic" or whatever. That could be introduced into any RPG, whether it's fantasy or not.

3 - True awesome Beautiful style love stories

In short : "I just wanna run around, breaking things !", right ?

You all act like small boys trying to make jokes over The SIMs and other "girls' stuff".

You all act like small boys trying to make jokes over The SIMs and other "girls' stuff".

I never enjoyed or played the Sims till Medieval. I love the addon and that's a surprise to me as I made fun of anybody who played them before.

1. A huge game Campaign
2 Choice and Consequences
3 A good combat system
4 No major game breaking bugs
5 Romance helps if done right as mods prove

There my contribution to the list. More than three but I feel the first four are a must.

1. Symbolism
- The elements used in the fantasy game should be a representation of real life events or situations what the player can connect and relate to, philosophically and or emotionally.
2. Social realm
- The game needs to have characters, NPC's, factions or groups with their own opinions, philosophies and cultures.
3. Mechanics worth learning
- The game needs a level of depth when it comes to skills, items and combat so gameplay becomes worthwhile and interesting to bother about.

I was ironic, you know ;)? Anyway, these are my personal 6 things:

1 - Choices & Consequences that matters in the game, without distinction between main or side quest;
2 - A very strong story line, with optional multiple endings that aren't necessarily good or bad;
3 - If I have to fight, I want a good combat system, real time or turn based doesn't matter to me, altough turn based could be more strategical;
4 - Interesting characters (see The Witcher for example as recent game);
5 - The possibilty to toggle any help, like minimap, or the annoying quest trackers (on map and over NPCs' heads): you have the journal, with maybe the option to write notes, the map (which of course you have to buy if you want a complete map) and NPCs to talk with: what else do we need?
6 - This concerns all type of games, but RPGs particulary: ABSOLUTELY NO to multiplayer, co-op mode, and stupid micro expansions. Do you want us to spend our money to expand the game? Then do something like Mask of the Betrayer, Shivering Isles or Awakening, or do nothing and add everything right from the start (From Software truly shines for this ^^).

I honestly thought we were joking, and I apologise if I offended anyone with my sarcasm.

I thought most were joking, yes, but the first post doesn't seem like a joke. In fact, I think a lot of people misunderstood the question - they seem to believe it is somehow related to features in general. It's specific fantasy features.

In other words: If you see it in Mass Effect or Fallout it doesn't count.

At least that's how I understood the OP, though I might be the one who misunderstood.

Back
Top Bottom