The War in America

So, the judgment in the NY Trump case is in. He will of course appeal, but does it impact him in any way before that process is done?
To his mind, this matters not.

So, the judgment in the NY Trump case is in. He will of course appeal, but does it impact him in any way before that process is done?
If we've learned nothing in the last several years is that the entirety of the US legal and constitutional system is a paper construct which only exists if everyone involved chooses to accept that it is real (or has the money/power to make others accept it as real). Rich white men in America have never had to deal with the majority of laws, which makes it interesting to see that even in that 'exempt from reality' set, Trump is an outlier ... he truly doesn't believe that the constitution applies to him, and since he has a feral cult that worships him, it doesn't.

Trump is an outlier
In this particular case, the one SveNitoR referred to, he's certainly an outlier because this lawsuit never would have even been filed if it wasn't Donald Trump. The statute that enabled it had never been used against an individual before - it was designed to protect consumers, but in this case there are no consumers involved, no victims, and no damages. The AG who filed the lawsuit, Letitia James, ran on a campaign promise that she'd stop at nothing to find some way or another to "get Trump", because she didn't like his politics as president. That's extremely disgusting and about as antithetical to American justice as you can get.

This isn't a criminal case, the main penalty is that he owes some money. If he appeals, I'd assume he doesn't have to pay it yet, so there's probably zero impact? He is also restricted from certain business roles in New York State for a few years, that probably gets set aside until appeal as well?

Last edited:
He'll certainly appeal, or at least he should, given the sheer amount of the penalty leveled against him and his organization. Then again, he's not the tightest wrapped sandwich in the basket, for sure!

Meh he won't pay a dime. He'll use his money and influence to keep apealling the judgement. It's the typical move of any rich and powerful asshole in the good ole USA.

Look at Alex Jones he hasn't paid a dime on his ludicrous judgement either.

Meh he won't pay a dime. He'll use his money and influence to keep apealling the judgement. It's the typical move of any rich and powerful asshole in the good ole USA.

Look at Alex Jones he hasn't paid a dime on his ludicrous judgement either.
If it takes more than a few years he likely will be dead of old age anyway. 😵

If he appeals, I'd assume he doesn't have to pay it yet, so there's probably zero impact?

Actually, to appeal, Trump and his co-defendants will likely need to come up with the full judgment of $355 million ordered by Judge Arthur Engoron, with potentially more in interest, in order to move forward with an appeal. That money will be held in an account pending the appellate process, which could take years to litigate.

The 9% interest Judge Engoron ordered Trump and his company to pay on the nearly $355 million judgment will continue to accrue until it’s paid per the order.

Nod, it's worth keeping escrow in mind when these judgements are handed down. You might not have to pony up the entire amount immediately yet that initial trust account amount can be daunting right off the bat.

I read that the Alabama Supreme Court ruled that frozen embryos are people by using the Bible as evidence. Is (parts of) the USA approaching theocracy?

I read that the Alabama Supreme Court ruled that frozen embryos are people by using the Bible as evidence. Is (parts of) the USA approaching theocracy?
That's some real levels of crazy there. It's a predictable (and likely planned) extension of the Alabama abortion ban. The country is marching to both extremes at record pace and it's getting easier to see a resulting rip in the fabric. That won't be pretty at all.

I can't help but wonder what's really there in the middle ground. Is there a massive block of silent people there that eventually get fed up with the loons on each extreme and drag things back to a more reasonable central position, or is the population really collected on two extremes with nothing left in the middle? Don't know that I can say. The former is a difficult path to follow when the middle is largely uninterested. The latter leads to civil war.

That's some real levels of crazy there. It's a predictable (and likely planned) extension of the Alabama abortion ban. The country is marching to both extremes at record pace and it's getting easier to see a resulting rip in the fabric. That won't be pretty at all.

I can't help but wonder what's really there in the middle ground. Is there a massive block of silent people there that eventually get fed up with the loons on each extreme and drag things back to a more reasonable central position, or is the population really collected on two extremes with nothing left in the middle? Don't know that I can say. The former is a difficult path to follow when the middle is largely uninterested. The latter leads to civil war.
Every American I've met have been decent people, at least on the surface, no matter if they were expats or just touristing wherever I was at the time. I always thought that was the norm of Americans and that both classic and social media amplified the voices of the extremes, since it makes more money.

But sometimes I'm not so sure anymore.

I've spent over forty years in the US and we've certainly got some serious odd-balls here. Yet I could say that also about the three other countries I've lived in during my lifetime, melting pots only add to the interest and flavour of a nation.

I've spent over forty years in the US and we've certainly got some serious odd-balls here. Yet I could say that also about the three other countries I've lived in during my lifetime, melting pots only add to the interest and flavour of a nation.
The question then becomes: why do the oddballs get so much power and exposure all over the world right now?

Well, my personal opinion is that it's become heresy to not completely agree with someone (in the US). That makes discussions in the middle very difficult to even begin, let alone get anywhere productive.

I don't think the extremes are winning but they're making it hard to have that reasonable discussions whereby you can agree to disagree without calling the other person baby-killer or gun-nut.

The question then becomes: why do the oddballs get so much power and exposure all over the world right now?
Idk...if you look throughout history, I don't think this is anything new. People with the right amounts of charisma have always been able to play the masses.. oddballs or not.

I can't help but wonder what's really there in the middle ground. Is there a massive block of silent people there that eventually get fed up with the loons on each extreme and drag things back to a more reasonable central position, or is the population really collected on two extremes with nothing left in the middle?
Many years ago I had to read a book about the pendulum effect in politics where the successful government would swing between left / right because the majority of voters were not absolutely committed to a particular side. I think the middle ground does still exist but the way politics is defined these days people feel forced to pick a side and stick with it.

I've been listening to a lot of podcasts by Michael Shermer and one of the questions that keeps coming up is "what would it take to change your mind" and it really got me thinking. I'm probably best described as a lefty and when asked if I would ever vote for a right leaning party I immediately say no way. I do have friends who vote for different sides depending on current issues, they're not overly political though and it wouldn't be their topic of choice over a beer.

In the US it's all about the constituents that you champion as a political entity. Do it well enough for the richest/most elite and you'll never have to worry or question funding. Those that care nothing for their souls will reap those benefits.

I don't get why you can't be friends, or at least friendly, towards people with differing views. Just talk to people in a calm setting and most people are decent and have at least some logical reasons for thinking the way they do. One can disagree and still be friends.

The old "agree to disagree" and then maybe not talk too much about it is sometimes a good idea.

I think religious fundamentalism and someone claiming I'm evil for not agreeing, might be hard for me to overlook, but otherwise I think I could get along with most people.

Back
Top Bottom