The war in Europe

Ukraine won the war of 2022. That was the year of Ukraine’s victory. Putin’s troops had to withdraw from Kyiv and Kherson, and they ran from Kharkiv.

But the year 2023 has not been so good. Russian generals have learned from their mistakes, and the learning curve was quite steep. All while engaging Ukraine in a bloody war of attrition at Bakhmut, Russia erected impregnable defenses in the south. They laid minefields. Not minefields but minefields — hundreds of miles long.

I think Ukraine outdid themselves, but small and very costly victories seem to be the only thing that happens now. Unless the Russian troops' morale deteriorates to almost nothing or the Russian state collapses and they start fleeing again.

I certainly didn't expect them to succeed at the levels they have, it says much about the sheer backbone and will of the Ukraine people. I just hope some sort of accord can happen soon as the civilian deaths and misery just seem to be getting worse day by day.

"He's dead, Jim ..." One member of the Russian opposition has - according to Russian officials - died in Gulag a few days ago : Nawalny.

Cynically put, Peter Gabriel could rename his song "Biko" into "Nawalny", because it is - to me - it looks as if that they both died a similar death, especially since Russian officials are not allowing his relatives to see his body for funeral, and, according to the news, his body is currently located in an hospital in Siberia.

"He's dead, Jim ..." One member of the Russian opposition has - according to Russian officials - died in Gulag a few days ago : Nawalny.

Cynically put, Peter Gabriel could rename his song "Biko" into "Nawalny", because it is - to me - it looks as if that they both died a similar death, especially since Russian officials are not allowing his relatives to see his body for funeral, and, according to the news, his body is currently located in an hospital in Siberia.

The head of Ukraine's Defence Intelligence says Russian opposition leader Alexei Navalny died from a blood clot, denying speculation that he was killed while in prison.

Kyrylo Budanov was quoted as telling reporters on Sunday that "I may disappoint you, but we know he died from a blood clot," adding that it was "more or less confirmed."

You don't believe Ukraine's intelligence on it?

That said it was awfully suspicious it happened at the time it did.

Exactly how and why he died is something we will likely never know. We do know this: He was poisoned with Novachuk before, likely by Russian agents, and he was a political prisoner being treated badly.

No matter the exact reason for dying, the risk of anything happening to him was multiplied many times just by these facts. This makes Putin and his Russian allies culpable.

Let's say I were to lock up, poison, starve and beat my wife, and then after a few years she dies of heart failure? It will be hard for me to claim innocence.

Back
Top Bottom