The Witcher 2 - Interview @ Eurogamer

I do have the M&M six pack (And 7 & 8 sat on my shelf), but I never really got on with them to be honest.

I purchased the M&M Platinum Edition (M&M 6-9) a while back, but I doubt I'll ever play them.

It's not that I don't want to, it's more of a time issue for me. I simply own so many games at this point that it's hard for me to go back and play some of the older ones, especially a time consuming series like M&M.

To me, that quote you gave practically confirms the multiplatform release of TW2. Games tend to sell more copies on consoles, but matching TW1's 1.5 million per platform would make them a nice little amount of money.

Yup, and as the Gopper said elsewhere:
"We know how many players, especially in the UK as well as in the US, play on Xbox 360. We are pretty good at maths. That’s all I can say for now.”

They may not be good at English, but they're pretty good at maths.

They've also reminded us that “We’ve openly said our technology supports multiplatform,” a console version is "doable," and, furthermore, that if they were to do a console version, it would be out “a matter of months” after the PC version.

Consoling news for us consolers. :)

I can't get through Fallout or BG2, and I know for a fact it's nothing to do with my attention span.

It's either your attention span or one other thing I won't mention. I'd go with attention span if I were you kid.

Honestly Fallout 1 is too easy even w/ full difficulty. Temple of Trials is the only truly "very hard" element of Fallout 2.

I purchased the M&M Platinum Edition (M&M 6-9) a while back, but I doubt I'll ever play them.

It's not that I don't want to, it's more of a time issue for me. I simply own so many games at this point that it's hard for me to go back and play some of the older ones, especially a time consuming series like M&M.

I'd only play 6/7 as 8/9 get worse and worse....

The market for RPGs is limited, especially if they're using a franchise which had (Prior to TW1) very little to no exposure to the English-speaking world. TW1 did unbelievably well, and I think they were very lucky that it did what it did. I'm not saying they're a bad company - Far from it - but that a developer's PC-exclusive debut title, using a relatively unknown IP did so well is quite unusual.

To me, that quote you gave practically confirms the multiplatform release of TW2. Games tend to sell more copies on consoles, but matching TW1's 1.5 million per platform would make them a nice little amount of money.

You don't succeed in the gaming industry with luck, especially on PC.
It sold well because European gamers know and love CD Projekt, it was based on a very popular book series, and because it's an excellent game.

You don't succeed in the gaming industry with luck, especially on PC.
It sold well because European gamers know and love CD Projekt, it was based on a very popular book series, and because it's an excellent game.

This!

I'm thinking the "excellent game" part had a lot to do with its sales ;)

Hehe, if someone from Bethesda or BioWare had said such things, people would've butchered him for "finally admitting they're dumbing down games!". That's what he's essentially saying, even though he's trying to hide it behind "but the story isn't dumbed down".

I don't really care too much about the supposed dumbing down of this and that, as long as the game is entertaining and I enjoy it. TW1 wasn't exactly the pinnacle of badass RPGs to begin with (for example the character development system was shallow at best), but I still hope TW2 will end up a better overall experience.

I don't get that. They already proved it's not the only direction you can go in by selling ~1.5m copies of TW1, and they have no definitive plans for TW2 on consoles, so they're obviously not depending on it.
You're assuming 1.5m copies was enough for the long term business point of view. I'm not sure it is - the Witcher wasn't a cheap game to make, and that was even using a third party engine.

Hehe, if someone from Bethesda or BioWare had said such things, people would've butchered him for "finally admitting they're dumbing down games!". That's what he's essentially saying, even though he's trying to hide it behind "but the story isn't dumbed down".

But Bioware and Bethesda AREN'T saying such things.

They're just doing it, pretending it's all for the better, ignoring their core fans.

That's the problem.

Now, I haven't played W2 - but I feel pretty confident we're not going to see a Mass Effect 2. I sense they're being realistic without stripping away all that could potentially please enthusiast gamers.

If nothing else, I'd appreciate a little honesty from Bio/Beth - but that's their choice.

The Witcher was pretty much all about the story. There's nothing to indicate the sequel is any different.

Dragon Age was not ALL about story, but also about certain strong cRPG mechanics and traditions. They're moving towards an action game, or so it seems.

Mass Effect 2 moved away from much of what made the first game better to many players.

There's a huge difference, if you ask me.

I fail to see the difference, simply because I do not believe TW1 was all about the story. The story wasn't even that good, which means it would've been a pretty poor game if that's all it had going for it.

Despite BW seeming like the "bad guys" around here and CDP like the "good guys", DA2 is bound to be a whole lot heavier on the RPG elements than TW2, even after all the supposed "dumbing down" is done. And here I was, thinking BioWare were unwilling or unable to develop anything but interactive movies..

I fail to see the difference, simply because I do not believe TW1 was all about the story. The story wasn't even that good, which means it would've been a pretty poor game if that's all it had going for it.

Huh? The Witcher had an excellent story, and the ending, along with the plot twist, were among the best I've seen in a crpg.

Well, I'm just going by what The Witcher fans are saying. The writing and C&C is supposed to be really good. That's also the very strong impression I got from playing it myself, though the actual gameplay bored me.

Despite BW seeming like the "bad guys" around here and CDP like the "good guys", DA2 is bound to be a whole lot heavier on the RPG elements than TW2, even after all the supposed "dumbing down" is done. And here I was, thinking BioWare were unwilling or unable to develop anything but interactive movies..

You certainly didn't seem to pick up on my point of franchise/genre traditions.

To me, it seems W2 is an improvement in every way - and DA2 seems to be exactly the opposite. This also happens to be what I'm picking up from fans of both games.

That's the main difference, along with how the PR is being handled by the respective parties.

But, if you don't think Bioware is moving in a bad direction, then I can see why you wouldn't agree. Also, if you think they're being upfront about their motivations at the same level as the guy in this interview - then we simply see thing differently :)

It's not about DA2 being a bad game, but about DA2 being very different (in a bad way for fans) from the first game.

The same thing I'd argue is the case from Mass Effect -> Mass Effect 2.

They're dumbing them down, pretending to be improving them in every way.

If only they said something like that guy: "We're compromising for money."

Then I'd be fine with their PR.

Why would EA want that?

Simple : Monopolization.

A monopol ALWAYS enables the holder to dictate the prices - and the content, too.

And with the content they might be able to "train" people into "loving" a certain playing style.

Why did they buy Westwood, Origins etc. ? Because they wanted to consume their IPs and to monopolize the market. "There shall be no other producer of this IP besides us !"

If they are able to control a certain IP, then they might perhaps even be able to sue everyone doing a similar game.

TW played very good the actions + consequences part , the setting was very believable and all this corruption/crime stuff very well given. Language was strong too.
Combat/magic wise it was far from perfect although advancing in swords gave you some very spectacular moves .
Also the main character was as badass as a main character can get and some of his quotes very memorable .

CDPR can totally mess up combat mechanics and still win the crowds by playing it's cards smart ; i mean the strength of Arcanum is character possibilities , in Bloodlines it is the atmosphere , in mount & blade combat , in Morrowind Lore .
People love those games because of their strong point and overlook the weak ones , CDPR PR policy is very straightforward , first they gave us the "make your story" part and now , few months before release are going into things that mater less , like combat.

CDPR can totally mess up combat mechanics and still win the crowds by playing it's cards smart ; i mean the strength of Arcanum is character possibilities , in Bloodlines it is the atmosphere , in mount & blade combat , in Morrowind Lore .
People love those games because of their strong point and overlook the weak ones , CDPR PR policy is very straightforward , first they gave us the "make your story" part and now , few months before release are going into things that mater less , like combat.

Well, as far as Arcanum goes, it *didn't* win the crowds. Not sure about the other games, but I'm fairly certain only Morrowind was actually a big hit. Good combat mechanics is required for most games or they'll sink. Well, at least from an economic point of view.

Well, as far as Arcanum goes, it *didn't* win the crowds. Not sure about the other games, but I'm fairly certain only Morrowind was actually a big hit. Good combat mechanics is required for most games or they'll sink. Well, at least from an economic point of view.

True , very true but you know people's interest can be tickled by several other things outside combat . For example i finished DAO although i hated combat and group thing , totally hate it ; but story and character interactions were very interesting and i even got a bit emotional over the "ultimate sacrifice" ending.

My point is that you can totally screw one major thing in your game but still have it succeed because it's strong points overshadows everything else.

You certainly didn't seem to pick up on my point of franchise/genre traditions.

To me, it seems W2 is an improvement in every way - and DA2 seems to be exactly the opposite. This also happens to be what I'm picking up from fans of both games.

That's the main difference, along with how the PR is being handled by the respective parties.

But, if you don't think Bioware is moving in a bad direction, then I can see why you wouldn't agree. Also, if you think they're being upfront about their motivations at the same level as the guy in this interview - then we simply see thing differently :)

It's not about DA2 being a bad game, but about DA2 being very different (in a bad way for fans) from the first game.

The same thing I'd argue is the case from Mass Effect -> Mass Effect 2.

They're dumbing them down, pretending to be improving them in every way.

If only they said something like that guy: "We're compromising for money."

Then I'd be fine with their PR.

Wait, what? My first post, the one you originally made a reply to, states:
"Hehe, if someone from Bethesda or BioWare had said such things, people would've butchered him for "finally admitting they're dumbing down games!". That's what he's essentially saying, even though he's trying to hide it behind "but the story isn't dumbed down"."

You didn't even argue the point, yet now you're claiming that everything about DA2 sounds worse than DA1, but everything about TW2 sounds better than TW1. That's the same hypocrisy that I'm talking about - CDP is being given credit for something BW would be butchered for. Had this interview been about DA2, everyone would be going crazy on how he's admitting that TW2 is going to be a dumbed down version of TW1 because it's going to be more action oriented.

The reply people tend to make is nothing short of silly: "Oh, but in TW2 they're focusing on the story!". Right, and that's not the exact same point BioWare has been trying to make: Their very reason for sticking with a premade character (just like TW) is to improve the storytelling. Again, they got butchered for such statements.

I understand that people expect different things from BW and CDP, and franchises such as DA and TW, but in the interview the general trend of making more action oriented RPGs and yet people are still just nodding with understanding/approval.

My point here has nothing to do with TW2 or DA2 (I honestly think both will be more than worthy of my money/time), it's just that such understanding would simply not have been shown had it been David Gaider or some such thing.

Wait, what? My first post, the one you originally made a reply to, states:
"Hehe, if someone from Bethesda or BioWare had said such things, people would've butchered him for "finally admitting they're dumbing down games!". That's what he's essentially saying, even though he's trying to hide it behind "but the story isn't dumbed down"."

Yeah, I'm arguing the point. The difference being that he's ADMITTING to it, and Bioware isn't.

I'm not saying: "Great, they're dumbing it down." - I'm saying "Refreshing honesty."

I don't see any dumbing down whatsoever, as the original combat was spectacularly bad. They're apparently making it more exciting, which is a positive - and their motivation is irrelevant.

You didn't even argue the point, yet now you're claiming that everything about DA2 sounds worse than DA1, but everything about TW2 sounds better than TW1. That's the same hypocrisy that I'm talking about - CDP is being given credit for something BW would be butchered for. Had this interview been about DA2, everyone would be going crazy on how he's admitting that TW2 is going to be a dumbed down version of TW1 because it's going to be more action oriented

My point was that we'll never ever see Bioware being honest about this in an interview.

Yes, every single thing I've heard about W2 makes it sound better than the prequel - but that's mostly because I didn't care for the gameplay of the first game. It's the gameplay I'm talking about - as we have no idea about the quality of the story - and we can't have before release.

MOST things I've heard about DA2 sound absolutely awful, yes.

I really mean that.

I have no idea about the hypocrisy you're talking about.

You seem to be confusing action-based combat with dumbing down. I don't, it depends on the result. I can't, honestly, imagine a worse combat system than the one in W1. Oh, I can, but it would be a shock.

What they're doing that I lament, perhaps, is making it into an action-based combat system - rather than perhaps a more cerebral combat system, and that's what they're being honest about. Not that they're "dumbing it down" from W1. Well, that's not how I see it, anyway.

But the key is honesty.

The reply people tend to make is nothing short of silly: "Oh, but in TW2 they're focusing on the story!". Right, and that's not the exact same point BioWare has been trying to make: Their very reason for sticking with a premade character (just like TW) is to improve the storytelling. Again, they got butchered for such statements.

Yes, because Dragon Age was NOT just about the story. The old-school combat with a cerebral approach was a HUGE appeal to core fans. That's what they're moving away from.

No such thing is happening in The Witcher. Combat is one of the key points of critique against it, even from many of its fans. They're making it better in a way that will ALSO appeal to the masses. They're not "dumbing it down" - but they're also not "clevering it up" ;)

But they're being upfront about WHY it's not going to be a more cerebral combat system.

I understand that people expect different things from BW and CDP, and franchises such as DA and TW, but in the interview the general trend of making more action oriented RPGs and yet people are still just nodding with understanding.

Why are you ignoring these expectations when they're at the very core of the contention?

My only point is that such understanding would simply not have been shown had it been David Gaider or some such thing.

I can only speak for myself. But I will give you my personal guarentee, that if a Bioware dude officially spoke so frankly about why they're catering to the masses- I would give pretty much the EXACT same reply. I would find it most refreshing.

Last edited:
Im glad im not the only one who feels that bioware and bestsada will never come out and admit it.To them its all about keeping the rpg alive by making there games more simplified for the massmarket.

To them its all about keeping the rpg alive by making there games more simplified for the massmarket.

Yes, I think this hits the spot very nicely.
At least in my own opinion. ;)

Back
Top Bottom