The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Another Short Roundup

Even if it's the best game ever made, it makes no sense to pretend it can't have flaws that are valid to point out.

In fact, it makes you seem overly defensive and emotionally invested - which is never a good position for fair criticism.

We all want this game to be fantastic, and I'm sure it will be. But people have different things they don't enjoy, and that doesn't mean they're wrong to talk about it, does it?

That said, we all know Ovenall is heavily invested in his anti-EU games campaign. But that doesn't mean he's wrong about everything. Not necessarily, anyway :)

Anti-EU games campaign? What devilry is this?

Anti-EU games campaign? What devilry is this?

Ovenall seems to think EU RPGs are very overrated, in general - and that many US RPGs are very underrated around here.

Correct me if I'm wrong, Ovenall ;)

I see. Seems a bit meaningless to me - many games with US labels are actually partially or entirely developed in the EU, Larian have now set up shop in Quebec, and so on.

In general, the folks here largely ignore any flaws or even outright silliness or stupidity in EU games, yet dissect and heavily criticize US games. Speaking about posters here specifically.

I see. Seems a bit meaningless to me - many games with US labels are actually partially or entirely developed in the EU, Larian have now set up shop in Quebec, and so on.

Well, I think it's an emotional issue - like so many others. Confirmation bias - based on a weak and unsubstantiated set of observations.

I do think there's a general preference for the non-streamlined and limited hand-holding approach to game design around here, though. EU games tend to be like that more than US games, mostly because they have smaller budgets. The smaller the budget, the smaller the risk - and as such, you can target a more exclusive audience.

I think we qualify as an exclusive audience around here, but I don't attribute value to that one way or the other.

Much like I, personally, prefer movies that don't tell me what to feel and how to think about important topics.

American entertainment can be very preachy, but I understand that's actually how a lot of US citizens like it.

But I think we're good at pointing out flaws in games - no matter who made them. So, I can't agree with Ovenall about that.

Oh, sure, we all have our favorite games. JDR defends Gothic 2 like it was his mother, Nutty defends Two Worlds 2, Couch defends everything that others attack, I defend Looking Glass games and so on - but I don't think it's an EU specific thíng.

In general, the folks here largely ignore any flaws or even outright silliness or stupidity in EU games, yet dissect and heavily criticize US games. Speaking about posters here specifically.

Are you implying that that, some people here, like a game for the sole reason that it's European and dislike another because it's made in the US?

Yeah, I don't see it. Personally, the only game I've savaged on here was a Croatian specimen.

Gopher, one of the youtubers that went to CDPR, posted his game mechanics video which he recorded during his visit. Very informative on mechanics. And I quite like what they did with the skill progression. And how mutagens affect your mainly chosen abilities.

It seems to have some of the permanency of skill points placed into abilities, and then from those developed ones you can choose up to 12, in slots which you unlock as you level up. Mutagens can also be swapped when out of combat (from what I gather). It's only the actual skill point placements which are permanent. It'll be interesting how it works out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=No4kOH_X7cM

This is all very meta- but the one that really got me was Risen 3.

IMO, one of the silliest games I've ever played. Also, pretty boring. Terrible voice acting, weird and overall preposterous. It came off like a spoof, but then took itself dead-seriously.

And a lot of you guys liked it. I'm kind of sick of RPGs these days. I couldn't even finish DA:I. I'm playing Bloodborne now.

You sure about that Ovenall? I haven't played Tisen 3 myself but (AFAIR) opinions here varied between "meh" and "ok". Can't remember that many people actually liking it?

Even if it's the best game ever made, it makes no sense to pretend it can't have flaws that are valid to point out.

In fact, it makes you seem overly defensive and emotionally invested - which is never a good position for fair criticism.

We all want this game to be fantastic, and I'm sure it will be. But people have different things they don't enjoy, and that doesn't mean they're wrong to talk about it, does it?

It matters not to much to myself on a personally level if people like any game. Though I rather have conversations about things in a game where there is a real issue. Not finding little things that really don't effect the game at all.

Also looking at videos and not playing the game yourself and finding things wrong ....

Someone asked before about the quality of the interface, inventory and menus. I would say that they look acceptable. There is clearly some compromise between designs suited to mouse and to gamepad. I think it is designed more in favour of the mouse/keyboard player, but not as efficient as it could be if gamepads were out of the equation.

As we've seen, though, the actual HUD seems to be as customisable as we might hope.

For the xth time, this is totally not true.

The Stick of Truth is a nearmasterpiece game. Who criticizes it I dunno, and honestly don't care. It's from USA. If it was from EU, I'd say the same. If it was from Bangladesh, again, I'd say the same.

Dunno from where that Bloodborne game you mention comes, I'll criticize any grinder. Made in EU or USA, you really believe I care? Maybe it was made in Zanzibar, it's still IMO bullshit/outdated/inferior game design I'll never buy nor will recommend.

Risen 3 is silly fun adapted to Angry Joe. Tried to be adapted in fact, as he still couldn't learn how to fight in it. It was too easy. You may hate it, I still love it for being a rare no annoying trashmob respawns grinder (here and there some wild chicken do respawn).

Also mentioned was DA3.
I've put 8/10 on it, and you could read why it IMO shouldn't have been GOTY but still deserves high score. You're nitpicking the doublesword thing in certain books series and it's okay to do that, you dislike Sapkowski, but hopefully you'll say it's okay where because of DA3 now I hate bears so much I'll switch TV channel when I see one.

Did you however forget that we all loved DA:O and were disappointed in DA2?
Does it really matter where those games were made?

Games rock, are mediocre or suck. Please stop believing into geopolitical or whatever nonsense.

"Adapted to Angry Joe"

Whut?

OK, imagine a Bioware game with one (1) playable protagonist. No appearance customization options. Oh, but there's an option to have a growing beard which you can turn off.

And a choice of 1. a Steel sword or 2. A sliver sword.

Andf a huge marketing/selling point is that the graphics are AMAZING and that the maps are HUGE. You guys would be criticizing the HELL out of it. For the record, I finished W1, got partway through W2 and quit because of the annoying constant explanation, talk, talk, talk, talk and talk. I plan to buy W3 because it sounds like they addressed the issue with the ludicrous front-loaded back story and are making it more open world.

But c'mon. The quest with the guy's attacked wagon was EXACTLY like Red Dead Redemption or Grand Theft Auto XYZ. Pure interactive cinema. "You'll never catch me, Witcher!"… cut to Withcer on horseback… press X to gallop… catch up to bad guy, press X to apprehend him… Cut to cutscene, the next morning, let's talk to the authorities. Choice: let him go, turn him in or make an excuse? Choice made. XP rewarded, cut to back in the wilderness where the quest originated.

IMMERSION.

Oh yeah, and collectible R-rated postcards... how cool is THAT?

Back
Top Bottom