They don't make them like this anymore

I played SoR ages ago, quite a fun game, though I don't feel it's on par with MM6 or 7.

I remember having a tough time when starting with a new party, but it's definitely doable with a little reloading. Might want to look into how to build a strong party though.

I passed it with no problems with a new party. IIRC I had some difficulty in the cemetery, but the characters leveled up pretty quickly. Just save a lot :)

ROA has some funky classes. I had to get my book out to remember their names (even though a lot of them made an appearance in Drakensang) I had a magician (always), silvan elf, jester, witch, dwarf, and warrior. When leveling up I increased what they excelled at and did not straying too far into other areas.

I had your basic party of 2 warriors, 1 rogue, 3 magic users/clerics (I believe the witch and elf could use healing powers). I did not use healing powers too often. I used healing plants/potions instead of healing powers and used the 3 magic users for either buffs or offensive magic and in the case of the magicianne a summoner.

One of the best spells in the beginning of the game is lightning. It blinds your opponent for a certain amount of rounds. Plus always surround your enemy. They are very difficult to hit if you attack one on one. Their PV (parry value) is either reduced or is gone completely if he gets attacked more than once. You will miss a lot if you don't surround your enemies.

Have fun with this classic. The combat is very different than other rpgs and takes some getting used to, but once you do get used to it it's a great game.

Last edited:
Just finished setting it all up in DosBox etc. It runs perfectly, and by creating a cue/bin from the CD instead of an iso I even got it working with CD audio. So that's all fine!

Messed around a bit with the game, just using the standard party - and holy crap, there are *a lot* of features and buttons in this game and its UI! No wonder the manual is a (by today) hefty 65 pages. Seems like I'll have to read it - just like in the old days. Excellent! :)

The REalms Of Arcania games were adapted a tiny bit to the international market.

And yes - TDE is the only rule set/ setting - I know of - having a Jester as a playable class !

With TDE4, the classes are all gone, and they are replaced by a culture/profession combination. What you see in Drakensang is just the "aarchetypes", no classes, just pre-defined culture/professions combinations, nothing more.

And be warned ! You can level up several spells which are not used at all within the game ! - And you can level up spells which a magician isn't able to use, because of the wrong "magic school" or so (oh, my, it's long ago since I played it ... ) ...

Jester is also a subclass of the Bard in 2nd edition D&D, which means you can play one as a class in Baldur's Gate 2.

Edit: And the original Baldur's Gate if you upgrade it with EasyTuTu.

With TDE4, the classes are all gone, and they are replaced by a culture/profession combination. What you see in Drakensang is just the "aarchetypes", no classes, just pre-defined culture/professions combinations, nothing more.

And be warned ! You can level up several spells which are not used at all within the game ! - And you can level up spells which a magician isn't able to use, because of the wrong "magic school" or so (oh, my, it's long ago since I played it … ) …

Yeah, I can see now that Drakensang definitely isn't the full story about the TDE ruleset :) Seems like you have to roll for stat/skill updates each level, have a long list of negative character stats etc. None of that was in DraSa :)

Drakensang is 4th edition, Realms Of Arcania is 3rd edition, there are heavy differences in some parts, whereas some core checks remain the same.

The negative character stats are still in the 4th edition - but no more obligatory, and most people use them during character generation to get more points for generation. Which leads to mighty warriors with only one leg, one hand, looking ugly, being gold-greedy, and being socially incompatible with the rest of the world - but he or she is still one of the very best warriors of the whole continent ! - To use an often-cited cliché about the use of negative stats in the 4th edition as a mere source of generation-points. ;)

Back
Top Bottom