ThinkProgress - Felicia Day Targeted in Hate Campaign

In which case I have to agree with HiddenX and others that this post was made simply in the wrong subforum. Had it been moved to P&R, I'd never complained, as I stay away from the discussions that take place there (as that's simply not the kind of thing I visit the Watch for).

I don't mind your complaint. Your complaint makes your position obvious - and it helps me demonstrate why the argument against this news piece is about self-centered interest, and not an objective point of view.

Ironically, being so obviously selfish about it - will only work against such news being placed in P&R, because you have as little rational suppport for that as HiddenX did.

Of course, if you want to be anal about it, Swen's murder (well, death anyway) is more "front page" worthy here as it might well influence the development of further games, and he is simply more iconic in this genre. Felicia Day receiving threats online is simply not the same caliber of story. This has nothing to do with gender, obviously - if a woman were head of Larian, the situation would be exactly the same.

Exactly, you don't think Felicia Day is as important to you as Swen is, and that's why you don't personally want news about her. Because Swen is important to you, you think it's ok that it's on the front page.

That's the entire point about why you're selfish and you can't provide a rational explanation for why an RPG community celebrity is irrelevant. You can only provide a subjective and personal reason, and for you - that's enough to argue no one else should be able to read about it on the front page - but they SHOULD be able to read about Swen, regardless of any controversy a murder spree would generate on top of the news piece.

So, the controversy has absolutely nothing to do with it. Felicia Day has everything to do with it.

Thanks for being so upfront about it.

Thankfully our moderators are objective enough already, but I guess your kind of reasoning should help alleviate any semblance of doubt they might still have about having made the right call in this case.

I don't mind your complaint. Your complaint makes your position obvious - and it helps me demonstrate why the argument against this news piece is about self-centered interest, and not an objective point of view.

No one is doing humanitarian work here - not the readers, not the posters, who - in this case Aubrielle - post exactly whatever they find interesting. I don't have more or less of an agenda here than anybody else, so your point is moot.

Exactly, you don't think Felicia Day is as important to you as Swen is, and that's why you don't personally want news about her. Because Swen is important to you, you think it's ok that it's on the front page.

BS. Swen isn't important "to me" - he has made a substantial contribution to the genre, arguably more so than Felicia Day. I hate to throw the word "objective" around, but it's fitting here. The head of Larian is also more important than, say, the janitor of Larian - not "to me", but to our mutual hobby.

Would you have trouble sleeping if we did?

Would you have trouble sleeping if we did?

I can live with this kind of news, Myrthos. But at the same time it's depressing for me that RPG/gaming news like

The CRPG Book Project - New Audio Interview 1 reply / 58 views
Neo Scavenger - Update v0.9942 Released 2 replies / 69 views
Bedlam - $155,000 Stretch Goal Made 2 replies / 56 views
Starpoint Gemini 2 - Post-Mortem Update 2 replies / 21 views

are completely dominated by this political thread and get close to no attention.
So I still think the P&R forum is the better place for this kind of news.

I must remind you, HiddenX, that this isn't political. If I were talking about the upcoming US election, or fracking, it would be political. This is about half of the gaming population being bullied into silence. It's gaming news relevant to us all. And I'm sorry you don't see it that way, my friend. :(

Now I'm off to early bed. I hope nobody has an aneurysm while I'm gone. ;)

@HiddenX: Are you implying that those threads would have received more comments if we didn't have this thread.
I have been informed that we do this to attract more visitors, which should result in more comments overall.
I think both statements are incorrect. However as there is no way to proof that without this thread there would be more comments in the threads you mentioned during a weekend, where traffic is slower anyway, it is all personal opinion.

Politics - Wikipedia:
Politics is the practice and theory of influencing other people on a global, civic or individual level. (...) Furthermore, politics is the study or practice of the distribution of power and resources within a given community as well as the interrelationship(s) between communities.

Sorry - this topic has written politics all over it.

Keep in mind Aubrielle that the only common factor between all different people here at the Watch are only RPGs. Discussing topics on the outer border of RPGs will split them. (Happened often enough in the P&R forum already).

Gamergate raises over $23,942 for anti-bullying, suicide prevention, and hunger charities. Anti ‪#‎GG‬ people ask charities to stop taking their money. You're right this silencing must stop, we cannot abide by such despicable actions.

Politics - Wikipedia:

Sorry - this topic has written politics all over it.

Keep in mind Aubrielle that the only common factor between all different people here at the Watch are only RPGs. Discussing topics on the outer border of RPGs will split them. (Happened often enough in the P&R forum already).

Its primary function is to add a Social Justice Warrior (SJW) element to the industry and its games. It is BOTH.

There I did a lot more reading on all of this GamerGate and I think I feel the same before I read more on it. Who cares, seems like a bunch of people that just don't know how to act in the real world.

Games are to be fun, if you don't like the way a game portrays a green dragon, a hill top, a man or a woman don't play it.

Anyways it seems this whole thing is way out of hand, thank god I have never had a facebook, twitter, instagram etc account.

Last edited:
This topic imho is about "gaming politics", so it could fit in both mentioned subforums.

For me topics about "gaming politics" fit better here. I'm on this site for anything gaming related, especially gaming news. For politics I have other sites, I don't read the politics subforum on the Watch. So I would never have seen this topic if it hadn't been posted here.

Wow this is a long thread. I can't be bothered to read every single comments but I do have something to say.

1. I think it's perfectly reasonable for moderators to post these news if they think it's suitable and interesting but I do consider this more of politics kind of news rather than a game news. It seems when we are in topic of "attack" on female, people on both side of opinion tend to over react a lot IMO.
2. I kind of agree with hidedenX that it's sad this kind of news gets more spotlight what I consider more gaming related news.

Gamergate raises over $23,942 for anti-bullying, suicide prevention, and hunger charities. Anti ‪#‎GG‬ people ask charities to stop taking their money. You're right this silencing must stop, we cannot abide by such despicable actions.

So, money can buy guilt away? A hate campaign that started with people bullying women, with people gleefully wishing to rape them, to drive them into suicide, etc. does not become clean just because of money.

I must remind you, HiddenX, that this isn't political. If I were talking about the upcoming US election, or fracking, it would be political. This is about half of the gaming population being bullied into silence.
Your last sentence implies that it's a very political topic. So, sorry I have to disagree, this is indeed politics, as you now so nicely summarized.

Then again, I have no problems with this thread per se, as it's definitely a topic very relevant to gaming. Felicia Day is also one of the most visible faces of gaming. If you (not you Aubrielle, but generally) don't like gaming politics and don't want to look at the uglier side of gaming, just stay out of the topic.

Unfortunately, there were few nuanced posts in this thread, and those, as expected, elicited only very few responses (they don't stir enough emotions after all). This simplification of "one side good" and the "other side bad" simply doesn't cut it. Yes, those retarded bullies are despicable, and in some parts of the world this could get you into jail. In principle, they shoot themselves into their own foot. Who still remembers that this originally was about instrumentalization of real social issues for smear campaigns and personal gain? All what's left in the public debate is the easily dismissed sexual allegations (all involved are grown-ups, so who cares?). Who still talks about the smear campaign against that competitor who wanted to have money from the same pot of gold to, let's remember for a moment, promote women in gaming? Right, nobody.

The ends don't always justify the means. Which is the real tragedy here.

2. I kind of agree with hidedenX that it's sad this kind of news gets more spotlight what I consider more gaming related news.

I do find it disappointing that when an article is posted here about a new RPG… which should be pretty exciting news for all of us, usually gets 1 or 2 replies if any… unless it's part of a well known franchise or made by a huge developer.

An news article like this gets 12 pages of replies and counting.. Mostly comprised of people arguing whether or not it should have been posted here… And we wonder why lurkers don't post on these forums.? :( I just don't understand why people feel so compelled to complain about one article out of the 10+ news bits posted here ever day. I don't give a rat's ass about MMOs but I don't feel the need to complain about it whenever there's news posted about one. Seems easier to ignore it rather than argue that this site should only have single-player RPG news because that's what *I* care about.

If we ever get a story about the latest Call of Duty or a political / news story that isn't even tangentially related to RPGs / gaming, OK, grab your torches and pitchforks. But otherwise, it requires a lot less time and energy to just ignore it.

In a Danish newspaper or on Danish internetside for a Danish newspapers I just saw that at least 25% of all of women gamers conceal their gender when playing e.g. Call of Duty. Why is this, do you think? And as I have describes earlier whenever I post news post, I'll also post news about the gaming industry in general. As for what rpg news is, are posts about someone leaving e.g. Bioware or Blizzard rpg news? or rpg related news...

And as I tried to explained in my first post, I have also, as a newsposters, posted news about the general state of the industry e.g. quoting from the gamesindustry.biz or the blogs og gamasutra...

Back
Top Bottom