Torment: Tides of Numenera - Beta Part 2

An rpg without combat? But… But that's crazy talk! :)
Although yeah you're right of course, if it could be done well it would be interesting.

I've actually found that there is a split in almost all RPG's I've played, either they have a good combat system or a good story/dialogue, I found the combat parts to be more or less pointless in those games.

I can't think of a single game that combined really good combat with really good story and dialogue. I guess it is too much for must developers to focus on both. Well, except Tactics Ogre… but it is a combat simulator with story / choices.

It's all subjective, but the original fallout was probably closest to getting that balance right for me. I liked the "show not tell" story, the non-linear exploration and quest order, and the satisfaction of bopping folk with a sledgehammer. There are no doubt games with better stories and combat, but I think they got the balance between the two pretty close in F1. If the new ToN had a similar split (albeit with a modern flavour) I'd be a happy camper.

Yes, fallout 1 actually had a pretty good balance in this regard, I agree with you. But it is mostly single character and turn-based, which makes it much easier to make the battle system.

Back
Top Bottom