Two Worlds II: Pirates of the Flying Fortress - Expansion Announced

Yes, it came with a Manual - 43 pages.
And a map.

That pisses me off. The $30 gogamer import gets a manual and my $70 royal edition gets a pdf on the disc? BLAGRGF:JFNWHDJO!!!

That pisses me off. The $30 gogamer import gets a manual and my $70 royal edition gets a pdf on the disc?

It seems that US gamers got screwed on that one. From what I've seen on the zuxxez message boards, the European RE versions came with full printed manuals. Although not everyone was happy with the choice of languages.

It seems that US gamers got screwed on that one. From what I've seen on the zuxxez message boards, the European RE versions came with full printed manuals. Although not everyone was happy with the choice of languages.

I really just need to go Steam and stop caring about this pointless BS. I'm not sure what is stopping me. I could probably make hundreds selling big boxes on ebay.

I have it in my Steam cart, but since I got an email about the expansion I have asked again about the original game ... definitely want it on Steam since I can then play on Mac or PC.

Well, I guess you could buy a boxed version if you HATE THE PLANET, but I sure wouldn't! ;)

By your logic you might as well live in a cave. If you do anything in life that requires energy (your computer, buying groceries, riding a bus etc.) then you hate the planet...

By your logic you might as well live in a cave. If you do anything in life that requires energy (your computer, buying groceries, riding a bus etc.) then you hate the planet…

No - it isn't so binary. I don't think it is disputable that there is a differential environmental impact between 1 million copies of of a game in cardboard, with a shrink-wrapped double-DVD case inside and a paper 'manual', and 1 million people downloading from Steam or wherever using computers that would already be powered on.

It is like buying oranges from a local farm stand by driving there using a high MPG car and driving 600 miles in a Hummer to buy oranges individually shrink-wrapped and boxed in cardboard. Sure both use energy, but comparing the two is for morons.

If you want boxes, fine ... just acknowledge that there is a negative environmental differential. And if you are actually thinking about it, chances are you already do more than 90% of the populations of the richer nations ...

By your logic you might as well live in a cave. If you do anything in life that requires energy (your computer, buying groceries, riding a bus etc.) then you hate the planet…

hear hear
OTH, we should all try to do the best we can. The resources on this planet are finite. Still, I would bet buying a boxed game probably does not use the same amount of resources as a box of cereal. (plus you probably buy one boxed game to three boxes of cereal over the same time frame)

If you want boxes, fine … just acknowledge that there is a negative environmental differential. And if you are actually thinking about it, chances are you already do more than 90% of the populations of the richer nations …

I acknowledge that, sure. I'm not sure who wouldn't. There is a "negative environmental differential" to me keeping my apple juice cold as well.

In the end I care very little about either.

Once you finally realise the disadvantage of having supported the steadily evolving Steam monopoly - can I at least have you sit in the corner wearing a funny hat for a while?

Once you finally realise the disadvantage of having supported the steadily evolving Steam monopoly - can I at least have you sit in the corner wearing a funny hat for a while?

All systems have an upside and a downside ... I have never been blind to the downside of Steam, and therefore try to support more 'open' systems whenever possible. But I support digital downloads first and foremost, even if that means the potential to lose my 'property'. So apparently I have been knowingly wearing that hat since November 2004 ... :)

Ugh… first it was undead mania… and now it is pirate mania, how come everyone keeps copying each other?

If you want boxes, fine … just acknowledge that there is a negative environmental differential. And if you are actually thinking about it, chances are you already do more than 90% of the populations of the richer nations …

Well, someone calculated that a google search equals boiling 1 liter of water….. that of course depends on what kind of power sources you have and so on... but still.....

All systems have an upside and a downside … I have never been blind to the downside of Steam, and therefore try to support more 'open' systems whenever possible. But I support digital downloads first and foremost, even if that means the potential to lose my 'property'. So apparently I have been knowingly wearing that hat since November 2004 … :)

I don't think you know what kind of disadvantage I'm talking about.

But, instead of harping on about it - I'll just let the future speak for me. I don't like it, but it's not like I'll die when Steam becomes the only place for the most popular titles and they start to control pricing for real.

In a capitalistic world - a monopoly service like what Steam is becoming, is about the worst thing that can happen to the consumer. But since people are actually asking for it, there's little hope in terms of expecting a different result.

I'll just reserve the right to ask: "Are you happy now?" ;)

hear hear
OTH, we should all try to do the best we can. The resources on this planet are finite. Still, I would bet buying a boxed game probably does not use the same amount of resources as a box of cereal. (plus you probably buy one boxed game to three boxes of cereal over the same time frame)

I will do as 90% of the people on this planet I wont care. I will be dead and its the next couple of generations who will have to deal with it.:devil:

It already is there is no competition that can match its ownership of the market. See digital only bothers me as you will never own your games and they can be taken away easily on the whim of steam.

I'll just reserve the right to ask: "Are you happy now?"

Of course they will where else can you buy bundles of old games for $40 and no drm except a bloated malware program controlled by steam. Assuming control of the population one user at a time.:help::whip:

Last edited:
I don't think you know what kind of disadvantage I'm talking about.

But, instead of harping on about it - I'll just let the future speak for me. I don't like it, but it's not like I'll die when Steam becomes the only place for the most popular titles and they start to control pricing for real.

In a capitalistic world - a monopoly service like what Steam is becoming, is about the worst thing that can happen to the consumer. But since people are actually asking for it, there's little hope in terms of expecting a different result.

I'll just reserve the right to ask: "Are you happy now?" ;)

Remember, though that Steam has far less of a 'monopoly' than does Windows for OS, Google for Search, and so on ... the competition is very good, and unlike what they did with music, the publishers are actively promoting loads of competitive services to maintain some level of control themselves.

Remember, though that Steam has far less of a 'monopoly' than does Windows for OS, Google for Search, and so on … the competition is very good, and unlike what they did with music, the publishers are actively promoting loads of competitive services to maintain some level of control themselves.

You say "has" - which is my point. I'm talking about the future.

Whether or not publishers will continue to promote competition is a question of faith.

I'm seeing more and more games requiring Steam, regardless of where it's sold.

I'm also seeing more and more supporters of Steam, which tells me it's only a matter of time before enough customers have resigned themselves to that service.

Given how Steam works - and how people seem to really appreciate the tiny luxury of having their libraries available in a list - and with them not having to pick an install directory - I consider it supremely evident that alternatives will dwindle in popularity.

At this stage, it would take a miracle for an alternate DD to make a significant impact. Impulse tried and failed miserably.

I don't really see anything happening to change things.

Unlike hardware platform or OS monopolies - I'm not seeing the advantage of Steam. Since the origin of the data files means nothing to me, I can only look at pricing and overall accessibility of the service.

To me, Steam is nothing but an overly expensive service with an obnoxious mandatory client.

I think iTunes is the only piece of mandatory software that has been more needlessly annoying and slow - in my experience. That's saying something.

Unlike hardware platform or OS monopolies - I'm not seeing the advantage of Steam. Since the origin of the data files means nothing to me, I can only look at pricing and overall accessibility of the service.

To me, Steam is nothing but an overly expensive service with an obnoxious mandatory client.

We can quickly agree that Steam is overpriced for new releases. In almost all cases it's cheaper here in DK to go get a physical version of a new game than the Steam version.

However, they *do* have amazing sales and every now and again I've made some real bargains there.

I also applaud their approach to hosting and promoting indie games. I don't know if their business model is fair or not for the indie developer (I don't know the numbers), but it seems like a good and easy way for small indie devs to get exposure for their games to a huge audience and avoiding all the hassle of sending out keys and what not.

We can quickly agree that Steam is overpriced for new releases. In almost all cases it's cheaper here in DK to go get a physical version of a new game than the Steam version.

Yeah, and that's the real issue.

However, they *do* have amazing sales and every now and again I've made some real bargains there.

Sales are a dime a dozen. The profit margins on most post-launch games are minimal in comparison to the big titles. Compare it to "SuperBrugsen" having great sales every day - but everything that's not on sale is 50% more expensive than everywhere else. Do you still go there to do your main shopping?

Well, people who don't care about pricing still do - especially if it's the closest supermarket. Comfort is the key, isn't it.

The principle is pretty identical to McDonald's. It's not like people go there because it's cheap or particularly good. Yet they almost rule the world, don't they.

I also applaud their approach to hosting and promoting indie games. I don't know if their business model is fair or not for the indie developer (I don't know the numbers), but it seems like a good and easy way for small indie devs to get exposure for their games to a huge audience and avoiding all the hassle of sending out keys and what not.

They have the money to spend on things with minimal costs like "helping" indies. La-di-da.

If all they did was help indies, that'd be one thing.

It's like people voting for politicians because they're kissing babies on TV, or going to McD to shut their kids up and get them worthless expensive toys.

Shortsighted like always.

Back
Top Bottom