US 2020 Presidential Election

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those people are not true republicans, not even close. Calling myself the Silver Surfer doesn't mean I can glide around on a surf board flying through the air, and the same applies to these befuddled buffoons. I doubt many of them would even be able to define what a constituent is, let alone actually care about them.

The constituents are the source of the problem. The hollowmen only cater to them for survival, if collecting copious bribes can be considered necessary to survival.

I have a different definition, myself. But, of course, I also wouldn't at all mind calling myself the Silver Surfer. Funny you should mention that, as I currently have my eye on an old copy of this picture disc:
download-2.jpg

The GOP's got nothing on the Silver Surfer.

Last edited:
A good politician can always tell those that actually have needs from the others that are simply blowing smoke, while attempting to start or inflame fires. A true constituent never poses problems, only opportunities to a savvy politician. Solving those will earn credibility that no money could ever purchase.

But they only care about money.

Those people are not true republicans…
Twenty years ago, you would be right. Back then, this whole thing would have been a few splinter groups off in the woods somewhere where the leader could keep his flock's eyes off responsible media sources. Back then, Republicans would have been fighting to get to the microphone to denounce people who were doubting the election results - especially after the courts had started making it clear the evidence the Trump Campaign had was laughable.

Now, that group is in the minority - and a small one at that. Very few of them have been willing to stand up and say that Trump lost fair and square. I don't think any of their leadership have gone so far as to point out just how incredibly weak Trump's claims were in the fist place. In fact, the Republican leadership put a QAnon supporter on a couple of committees! Even when she refused to denounce the idiotic idea that school mass shootings were staged, they kept her on the posts!

These would not have been true Republicans back then. But, of course, political parties don't stand still. 100 (?) years back, Democrats were the conservatives and Republicans were demanding we pay attention to the poor. The Republican party has shifted to an authoritarian party now, complete with their own party-loyal media. The old fashioned Republicans are now the fringe of the party.

I see some are also considering a breakaway "principled conservative" party. Lol.

Taken at face value, I think it makes complete sense that actual conservatives would abandon the Republicans, but I wonder if it's more of a play for more leverage within the party. Surely they must realise that a split would guarantee no power for any of them, and I'd be amazed if any of them would really be up for that.

Last edited:
Not sure there's enough demand for a party of reasonable Republicans right now. Maybe there will be, but the polling I've seen suggests the public is too radical in general and the Republicans in particular. They haven't been handed a big public rebuke yet, having done fairly well in the House last election, which will probably be required. But then there's that pesky public again…

Last edited:
As I watch the Republicans plunge toward their verdict in what is really a trial of themselves, a moral test we all know they will fail in a whimpering and simpering spasm of cowardice and avarice that will be thinly veiled in bogus bravado, I find it a pleasant distraction to think about Eugene Goodman.

What the fuck is up with Eugene Goodman?
dq818DD.jpg

I knew he was the guy who held off and outsmarted the mob, as he lured them away from a good number of senators still trapped, but I didn't know he also saved Mitt Romney's ass.

Go get 'em, Officer Goodman. Figures his name would be Goodman. Figures he'd be a former soldier. Figures he'd be an infantryman, a grunt.

Way to think on your feet, soldier. Adapt and overcome. Give that man a fucking parking space for a month.

Ex-President Trump acquitted for the second time.:p

Final Verdict: Senate voted a 57-43 vote, failing to meet 2/3 threshold.

They'd have needed to find 17 principled Republicans in the Senate. Never going to happen. Republicans know that the Trumpenlump still owns the mindshare of their base.

That kool-aid was far too strong for some folks to get over this quickly. Give it a few more years yet, to get the nasty, stanky taste completely out of their mouths! The enema still needs some time to work.

Actually I'm surprised they got that many positive votes this early.

They'd have needed to find 17 principled Republicans in the Senate. Never going to happen. Republicans know that the Trumpenlump still owns the mindshare of their base.
Power will of course always attract a larger than average amount of power hungry people with few principles.

I think what's even worse for democracy, is that we also have "news" media which is basically opinionated bashing of the other side, and social media which leads to the same.

And who can stand being insulted and ridiculed constantly? Mostly people who don't care at all what other people think of them, or knows how to manipulate their public image.

This leads to a lot of destructive, selfish and vindictive people being in power. And they are terrible, terrible leaders, Trump being a particularly clear example of that.

Not any surprised about the outcome. The desire to stay in power and the fear of Trump mob, must have been stronger than the desire to uphold justice. I wonder if Gop can ever free itself from Trump and his mob.

Doubtful. They haven't tried yet. They've handed over the keys without a fight. Why should we expect them to start now? This was their off ramp from the warpath, but they resoundingly chose not to take it.

Only fools attempt to fight or thwart evil directly. The wise approach is to combat it with good and better deeds, and I hope that's what this administration will focus on. A continent of stellar deeds will crush a mountain of abominations, every single time. Give people hope, eliminate fear and the masses will heal.

I agree Biden is going about it the right way, quietly governing and getting actual shit done while opening the door to bipartisanship without actually expecting or relying upon it. In my state, I've already seen a sea change in actually making vaccines available to regular folks.

You're right that this is the best way to combat the rabid stupidity of the public at large and voting Republicans in particular. Improve their lives, and they might see the light. They might not, too, but placing the light before them is probably the best you can do.

Well, they finally made it official at the recent conservative clambake…
np-file-72310.jpg

…the golden calf…
777.jpg

…faithfully carried to the ballroom for the inevitable confrontation with Moses…I don't have a pic for that part, though I wouldn't mind seeing it.

A gold-plated Donald Trump clutching the Constitution and a magic wand. Yep... that's the Republican Party alright.

It's pretty pathetic when your ideology revolves around a demagogue instead of policy.

That"Look Ahead" placard is a joke in itself; the party's been looking backwards for 50 years now.

I'm starting to think my fair state of Florida just isn't all that smart, with how they respond to covid, and now hosting this Orange monkey with all of it's vassals in attendance. Sigh!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom