What was your first computer RPG?

Ultima VI. Took me a 2nd playthrough to realize you weren't supposed to kill the gargoyles on sight. oops!

Wizardry 1. My neighbors had the game and I would go over there to play it after school and on weekends. Before we figured out how to restore your characters if there was a party wipe, my dumb-ass brother killed our high-level group by getting surprised by a bunch of gas dragons. I'm still pissed at him to this day :).

After that came Bard's Tale, Might and Magic, and Wasteland. I talked my dad into buying an Apple IIe so my brother could make his own damn parties.

Similar to Pladio, I too started with Diablo 2 and then the first "proper" RPG I played was Morrowind. And, again similar to Pladio, that is where my nickname comes from: Ivan is my real name and n'wah comes from Morrowind. I amalgamated those two and then lost the apostrophe somewhere along the way.

After Morrowind I was hooked and then played the Baldur's Gates, Neverwinter Nightseses (never actually played 2, only 1 and its expansions and some modules and mods), Fallouts, Gothics, other Elder Scrollseses, Witchers, and so on, and so on.

Interestingly, I didn't play (or didn't seriously play) anything older than the first Fallout. I don't mind the graphics, but controls, UI, QoL improvements and stuff like that which came with Fallout and later games is why I draw the line there.

Just for notice, in this thread it was asked for the first RPG, not for the first game in general ... ;) ... But I think we already had a separate thread for that already ...

My first game was I think - apart from demos - one Blues Brothers jump & run game ...

I am not sure if it can be considered an Rpg. My grandfather introduced me to gaming making me play the first Dune game.

Hmmm, it was some game on C64 not exactly sure what was first, but probably bards tale or such.

My first RPG was actually Phantasie 2, followed by Ultima 5 and then Bard's Tale 3. I caught up on the earlier games later.
I actually have never played Phantasie 2; the copy I had had some corruption or something, so it would lock up while exploring the outdoors. It wasn't ported to DOS or Amiga either; just 1 and 3, for some reason. I guess because it was pretty much Phantasie 1 again with new maps.

I started gaming on a C64, with no knowledge about english with the age of about 8 or 9 - and we mostly had pirated copies.
This means:
-I was too young to understand some more complex games
-I couldnt understand english games
-I didnt have the manuals

So the RPGs at that time were kind of limited to me.
I am not sure if you would consider it an RPG, but I loved a game called "Mafia". Which was basically a GTA meets Jagged Alliance. You hire a group of gansters, roam around a city and earn money, very basic turn based combat. A full plythrough only took a couple of hours.

MafiaSchlacht.gif

Once I got a PC my options opened up. First RPGs there had been:
Realms of Arkania 1 (German version released earlier than english one)
Lands of Lore 1
Wizardry 7
Dark Sun

I think I played Zork when it first came out, but not sure if most would classify that as an rpg.

I missed most of 80s and 90s era rpg computer gaming, I was mainly a go to the arcade guy when it comes to video games. And I also played chess seriously for a number of years.

So Baldur's Gate was my first computer rpg, and it was just as great as everyone said. I then played Fallout I think, and loved that game too. (but not as much as Baldur's Gate) And of course Everquest came out during roughly the same time period back then, and it was extremely popular at the time as well. Amazing game with hardcore rpg mechanics.

Oh man, let's see... My very first PC game was Tomb Raider 2, I'm pretty sure. Before that I'd play on the NES and we had a Mac2 I'd play some sketchy games on.

But first RPG, I don't remember. It'd have to be either Outcast, Omikron: Nomad Soul or BG2. But I suspect Outcast (though that was more of an adventure than RPG, I guess).

Gateway to Apshai on the C64. I played Temple of Apshai Trilogy and Adventure Construction Set shortly after that. I always wanted to play Bard's Tale back then, but in hindsight I probably wouldn't have done too well with it.

For the PC, either Curse of the Azure Bonds or Might and Magic 2. Can't remember honestly.

Final Fantasy Legend, Final Fantasy Adventure and Zelda: Links Awakening on a Gameboy. I remember that I always liked adventure type games like Zelda and FF Adventure a lot more than party based RPGs with all those numbers.

After my Gameboy time came an Amiga 500 and I think I only ever played one RPG on that platform. Ambermoon.

A couple of years later, my first introduction to RPGs on a PC was Realms of Arkania: Blade of Destiny (and sequels), followed by Might & Magic: World of Xeen. Those were fantastic. I stayed away from others like Wizardry 7 because I'd heard it was very hard, as in: nothing I'd ever be able to play.

It's a long time ago and not very clear in memory, I was no more young adult when I started so it's not just about time but probably age too.

0. The prelude before first full RPG, some Roguelike, then some small shareware RPG. Then buying a video game was stupid for me, all my money was spend elsewhere.
1. Pool of Radiance and an unknown RPG but quite advanced for its time, Citadel. The first two RPG I bought that marked me a lot, but not up to make me a regular video game player.
2. Pool of Radiance series (could chain multiple because many was already released when I played the first)
3. Might & Magic 1&2
4. More Pool of Radiance series but didn't finished the last.
5. Might & Magic 3, Eye of the Beholer, Ultima Underworld, Ultima 7, Lands of Lore (put in its context and not compared to later RPG, it's still a few years stifling for amount of good noteworthy RPG).

At this point it's clearly no more the first RPGs I played, but I was still not playng during long periods, hence later RPG contributed as much. In fact if Doom series generated me more interest and focus in shooters, it constantly degraded along years when at reverse it grown for RPG. When for strategy it's alwasy been high and low, and hardly a redular continuous interest, RTS making a stop to my interest in strategy, when 4X only generated some high.

6. Fallout 1, despite I played some great RPG before, and it's years after, it was defintely a comparable shock to what PoR and Citadel did.
7. Balgur's Gate 1, same shock than FO1. The pair pushed me to a more focused interest in RPG.

I definitely sarted play more often from this and preferably RPG, but still had months periods ignoring video games.

8. Crodwfuding, crodwfunding RPG trying break the blueprint cloning in AAA RPG, digital games, eventually Steam comfort, rise of indies games of many budget levels, perhap more. And it was dead, if I don't play more than two week, it's either a miracle, either a drug addiction growing. And yes, it's up to tend achieve hide a comuter in any luggage for any travel. RPG don't have the main share, it's more Tactical games, then RPG, then very few genres I won't bother list.

Sadly first PC game I played was Oregon Trail and SimCity in school. My family wasn't rich enough to afford a PC until the late 1990's. Consoles were my main gaming.

Since we're talking about first PC RPG then BG and Fallout.

I enjoyed playing the first Command and Conquer and first two Dune RTS as well.

Edit: Just realized I posted this already oh well it happens.:biggrin:

Now that you mention it, Oregon Trail was an RPG and I played that first-- in school. For whatever reason it was considered "educational" and we were allowed to play it in library. It was the GTA 5 of the day. Everything you did killed you or others.

Back
Top Bottom