Which Upcoming RPG Are You Most Anticipating?

Which Upcoming RPG Most Appeals to You?

• Arcania: Gothic 4

Votes: 13 19.1%
  • Two Worlds II

Votes: 11 16.2%
  • Fallout New Vegas

Votes: 12 17.6%
  • Deus Ex Human Revolution

Votes: 12 17.6%
  • Other (sure, go ahead and specify!)

Votes: 20 29.4%

• Total voters
I heard it [Witcher 2] is in development for xbox 360?

Yup. They haven't announced it officially yet, but it's clear they are aiming to release the game on consoles after they finish up the PC version. I think they're still looking for the right publishing deal.

The Witcher 2 is definitely being planned for console release. I don't believe it's actually in development yet though.

Late to this party but... not looking forward to any RPGs, sadly.

I WAS looking forward to Alpha Protocol but so far everything I've read has taken the urge away. There doesn't seem to be a whole lot on the horizon, nothing that appeals to me anyway. But not like I'm looking hard - I actually haven't played a PC RPG since getting the 360 in March.

Not that I'm playing the 360 that much really because I only play it for at most 3 hours a week or something like that but the last few PC RPGs I've played (Drakensang, Fallout 3 and NWN 2 and others) have just left me bored.

I will say that I'm finally playing Mass Effect thoroughly (the 1st game) on the 360 (it ran poorly on my old PC) and am enjoying it. Impressed with the graphics and voice acting/dialogue but those Mako levels SUCK big time and the combat is just so dull.

Also started playing Dragon Age (again on the 360) and that "Fade" section was just too much. Tedious, boring, frustrating. It doesn't help that the difficulty level is all over the place - one fight is so difficult I have to eventually lower the difficulty to EASY but the next fight (on regular difficulty) is a cake walk and the next decently challenging. Just so inconsistent. Aside from that I was enjoying it but haven't played it for a week and not really missing it at all. Really getting into Batman Arkham Asylum though :)

But back to my point: I wonder if I just need a NEW, blazing fast PC with a huge monitor (still playing on a tiny 15"!) to kick life into some of these newer games (I didn't HATE Drakensang, just that it was a little dull and did get a little slow down here and there so had to turn everything down) :D Or maybe I'm just done with PC RPGs? I'm just not that enthused about the genre anymore.

Not that JRPGs are any better - huge FF fan that I am and still have NOT purchased FF13 after all I've read. Will get it eventually, when it's $20 or something like that just to give it a chance, but not in any particular rush. And got frustrated with the super long random battles in Lost Odyssey. But still, don't mind hacking away at a few JRPGs that I haven't finished yet so still enjoy them. I just find that PC RPGs require more commitment.

So have I ranted enough?

The Witcher 2 is definitely being planned for console release. I don't believe it's actually in development yet though.

I hope it does come out. I didn't like the original but for me a lot of that was due to poor performance. I think I would enjoy it more on my 360 (without the atrocious frame rate and constant crashes).

I think they had the console version of the first game in devolopment for over a year and it seemed to just fizzle out. It seems odd that something like that can happen with a major release. I hope things work out better for the sequel.

So have I ranted enough?
Not really. There wasn't enough vitriol about the decline of the modern C"RPG" genre :D.

More seriously, I can mostly sympathize. It's hard to find stuff that meets my expectations at a new game. There's much "been there, done that" involved, which is probably inevitable after having played such a lot of CRPGs in the past. But once in a while, there's still something that tickles my interest. So, just buy a new computer and tell us whether it helped :).

Also started playing Dragon Age (again on the 360) and that "Fade" section was just too much. Tedious, boring, frustrating. It doesn't help that the difficulty level is all over the place - one fight is so difficult I have to eventually lower the difficulty to EASY but the next fight (on regular difficulty) is a cake walk and the next decently challenging. Just so inconsistent. Aside from that I was enjoying it but haven't played it for a week and not really missing it at all. Really getting into Batman Arkham Asylum though :)

Yeah the Fade quest sucked imo, although a lot of people around here seemed to like it for some reason.

I also took some time off before I finished Dragon Age, and for some reason I enjoyed it more when I came back to it. Now when I look back at it, I think it's the best Bioware game since the BG days. I agree about the difficulty being inconsistent, but it's still one of the better crpgs I've played recently.

But back to my point: I wonder if I just need a NEW, blazing fast PC with a huge monitor (still playing on a tiny 15"!) to kick life into some of these newer games (I didn't HATE Drakensang, just that it was a little dull and did get a little slow down here and there so had to turn everything down) :D Or maybe I'm just done with PC RPGs? I'm just not that enthused about the genre anymore.

I would definitely recommend getting a new monitor, especially considering how cheap they are now. I got my new 24" Samsung in January for $250, and I use it for my PS3 as well. What CPU and vid card are you running?

No, not for me.

Then there is something wrong with your PC , or there is something wrong with you ( i mean you are a n00b that allows every new program to load itself on start up).

What cured the loading problems before any patch came out was moving the paging to a different drive , this alone will give you like 50% faster game experience.

*About DA:O yeah it was bad and the Fade quest very boring , irritating and annoying . Also the Morrigan vs the Demon quest slapped me with "you are such a sucker to play a rogue".

The problem with the loading is the frequency, regardless of loading time. Move a few meters to enter a house, load, talk to someone inside the house, load, move to a new building right across the street, load, talk to someone inside the house, load, etc.

It's fine to have loading in and out of houses (+ what not) in games where you mostly hack away at stuff far away from any buildings, but in The Witcher you get encouraged to spend a lot of time walking back and forth between different houses in order to talk to people.

I often found myself thinking "I'd really like to talk to that other guy again in case he's got something interesting to say now, but then I have to pass through several additional loading screens, so... ". That's just not how a game like TW is meant to be played; you lose out on so much by skipping dialogues.

Then there is something wrong with your PC , or there is something wrong with you ( i mean you are a n00b that allows every new program to load itself on start up).

He's not a "n00b" just because a game didn't run well on his system. A lot of titles have issues with laptops.

The problem with the loading is the frequency, regardless of loading time. Move a few meters to enter a house, load, talk to someone inside the house, load, move to a new building right across the street, load, talk to someone inside the house, load, etc.

Are you sure you played the director's cut? so far getting in and out a house in let's say temple quarter has a totall load time of like 4''

It's fine to have loading in and out of houses (+ what not) in games where you mostly hack away at stuff far away from any buildings, but in The Witcher you get encouraged to spend a lot of time walking back and forth between different houses in order to talk to people.

Yes some of the quests are annoying because of that .

I often found myself thinking "I'd really like to talk to that other guy again in case he's got something interesting to say now, but then I have to pass through several additional loading screens, so… ". That's just not how a game like TW is meant to be played; you lose out on so much by skipping dialogues.

True , specially the quest with the lady of the lake and the "gifts" can really shred your nerves

He's not a "n00b" just because a game didn't run well on his system. A lot of titles have issues with laptops.

It is n00bish to allow every new program installed to load on start up, i am seeing 10's of laptops / desktops every day at work and 99% of the time this is the reason of slow and bad performance

Honestly, with the latest patches for the game and reasonably top-end, modern hardware, loading times shouldn't be an issue at all in Witcher anymore.

In fact, I'd actually totally forgotten that the vanilla game was bad in this respect. In my latest playthrough I looted every single house in town in Chapter One, and the thought that the transitions might be irritating didn't even occur to me. It would be like scarcely 2 seconds and you're in or out of the house.

I heard that console versions have been in simultaneous development, and that the only thing they need is more dev. time and financing (a publishing deal). CD Projekt seems intent on bringing it to consoles. I figure that with a successful franchise like this, they will find a publisher to help make that happen.

But who knows. These "90% sure" things have fallen through before. Still, I feel pretty confident that console versions will be coming. I know a guy who is talking to the devs in Polish on the official forums, and he says the devs tell him it's just a matter of when/how, not if. But we'll see.

Definitely not true

By "simultaneous," I didn't mean they were at equivalent points in the development process — I know the PC version is the one they're focused on and prioritizing — but just that the console versions are being developed while they are also working on the PC version. How far along that console version development is, I have no clue.

p.s. Thanks for the link; passing it on to my console brethren, plenty of whom are skeptical that it will be released for console. In my mind, it's a 90% done deal, but others are much more skeptical.

How far along that console version development is, I have no clue.

What I'm trying to say is that the actual development for a console version hasn't been started yet. Unless you consider "planning" part of the development. At least that's what CDProjekt seems to be indicating.

The positive thing is that the console versions will only a take a fraction of the time to develope, since they're going to be ported from a finished PC version.

I would definitely recommend getting a new monitor, especially considering how cheap they are now. I got my new 24" Samsung in January for $250, and I use it for my PS3 as well. What CPU and vid card are you running?

Pentium 4 2.8 GHZ
3GB RAM
Nvidia 7800GS (AGP), overclocked.

Definitely time for an upgrade. But will probably look into a new monitor, have noticed how cheap they are as well. I think a 20" will probably be a nice improvement and seeing them for around $130 - $150.

What I'm trying to say is that the actual development for a console version hasn't been started yet.

huh, I hadn't heard that. I heard something about an engine that … well, I'll just quote what I heard:

and their engine basically supports creation of 3 separate games for 3 platforms, not porting one game over

Pentium 4 2.8 GHZ
3GB RAM
Nvidia 7800GS (AGP), overclocked.

Ouch… yeah, you might want to upgrade everything at once. I would try to get at least a 22" monitor though, the difference in price is negligible.

Just remember that having a bigger monitor means higher resolutions, which obviously requires more processing power. A single core CPU really doesn't cut it nowadays, but quad cores are very affordable now. You definitely need a PCI Express video card as well.

@Anderson.. Just Google ;)

Hmm, yup, the pentium and the 7800 really belong in a retirement home by now if you're wanting to play anything close to recent-ish next-gen stuff. Even if you're sticking to XP, in which case you could still get away with the 3Gig RAM.

Back
Top Bottom