Who Can Be Trusted To Take Up The BG4 Helm

What developer(s) do you think should take up the BG4 mantle and would do so responsibly, taking the franchise to new heights?

Obsidian, Pillars-style isometric, party of 6, Forgotten Realms. Where do I sent my money Josh?

Obsidian, Pillars-style isometric, party of 6, Forgotten Realms. Where do I sent my money Josh?
Josh won't touch that setting due to a bad experience with WoTc in the past.

Large amounts of money might help but chances are very slim.

Anyway just like the past it will probably be two decades or more till another sequel is made. Don't count on Hasbro either as the next games in development are different.

Last edited:
As much as I'd love a NWN3, it's hard to imagine anyone is going to give an online service for free in this day and age, and that was the main attractive of that game.

I always thought the campaigns were mediocre, and people usually jump on the bandwagon of saying that the expansions were better but you played those at epic levels, which became a buff/zergfest of little consequence at that point, even if the story writing might have been marginally better.

Still good games, mind you. I just find hard to believe anyone will recreate its online capabilities. I would play it, regardless.
I agree but maybe a smaller developer can but not with any game that's costs 50+ million. As larger publisher only care about maximizing profits from every game.

Solasta is a good example but it's not as popular as NWN.

You must not have played The Outer Worlds. ;)

Don't get me wrong, I still have love for Obsidian. I just don't think they're going back to making old-school crpgs anytime soon.

No it should not.
Yes it should.

The Bhaalspawn saga is well and truely done. You do know that it is possible to create another game in the same realm with a similar style and just give it a different name and story... Extending a series too long actually becomes a liability in terms of creativity. Long gone are the days of Ultima 9 where you could make 7 games in exactly the same world and people would keep buying it.

Long gone are the days of Ultima 9 where you could make 7 games in exactly the same world and people would keep buying it.

Well, not EXACTLY the same world.

Ultima 1-3 each had a unique map.

Ultima 4-7 had the same basic map, but with plenty of changes to it between releases.

Ultima 7 Part II and Ultima 8 took place in other realms/worlds entirely.

Ultima 9 returned to Britannia but with a radically changed map.

Well, not EXACTLY the same world.

Ultima 1-3 each had a unique map.

Ultima 4-7 had the same basic map, but with plenty of changes to it between releases.

Ultima 7 Part II and Ultima 8 took place in other realms/worlds entirely.

Ultima 9 returned to Britannia but with a radically changed map.
Yeah my response was a bit confusing because I referred to Ultima 9. The seven I was referencing includes non Mainline games i.e ultima online and kingdoms.

Currently no one, but if Owlcat prove themselves and learn from their constant mistakes then i can see them taking on it.

Currently no one, but if Owlcat prove themselves and learn from their constant mistakes then i can see them taking on it.
All they would really need to do is:
  1. Trim the fat from their games. More is not always better.
  2. While their writing is fairly good they could use a standout writer like Chris Avellone to lift the bar.
  3. Reduce the number of bugs at release. (1) would already help here - less areas, less filler quests, less classes/races would reduce testing a lot.

No one.

BG3 was a Larian game. Don't want to get into it again, 4 man party, no rtwp, etc, etc.

It succeeded. BG2 style is gone. BG4 has to be a Larian game.

Back
Top Bottom