Wizardry 8 - A Samurai, a Valkyrie, and a Bishop walk into a bar…

What a bunch of rookies... ;)

Just because you have played it more times than a politician lies in a week is no reason to hurt the feelings of all these poor newbs!! :)

I played it for the first only a couple of years ago, and seriously adored it. Maybe it's time for a second playthrough soon, it remains the best First Person RPG I've ever played. Not that the competition has been that impressive the last ten years...

Its the first person turn based RPG I have ever played and made me fall in love that first person turn based combat RPGs!

I always want to reply this game but it takes lot of time to complete it and time is in very short supply these days.

Brilliant game; took me over two months to complete. There's a tremendous amount of replay value simply in the party/npc configuration options. Great character building and challenging, strategic combat. I'll definitely revisit it one day. :)

I also was late to the party on this game, only played it last year, and loved every moment!!! I wouldn't be surprised if I get the urge to replay it again very soon, possibly later this summer.

Played it for awhile and enjoyed making the parties, but this is a combat game and I really don't favor those. My favorite Wizardry was Bane of the Cosmic Forge.

Rapax castle really killed it for me… that was just too much.
Honestly, that section of the game is quite a slog. I've broken the game into 3 divisions because of that. You've got parties that are slapped together that never develop an identity or just serve the purpose of trying crazy things--those games usually "die" at Arnika. You've got parties that end up just not being fun to play for whatever reason--those games "die" at the Rapax Rift because there's just no point in enduring the Rapax Castle if the party isn't fun. Then you've got parties that go the distance. When the game first came out, a lot of people seemed to put in an extra division just for the monastery, but I never did think you got a good feel for a party's development until they passed thru the fire of that first scamper down Arnika Road.

So, the appropriate way to report your "scorecard" with Wiz8 is "This many Arnikas, this many Rifts, this many wins." ;)

Wizardy 8 has the best first person party based combat system I've seen so far. I've waited many years for a sequel. But since the rights are in the hands of a Japanese company it seems more than unlikely. Therefore I have high hopes for Bard's Tale.

Can anyone tell me how chasing enemies works? It seems you cannot move and use weapons at same time and when you do run into melee range enemy can just run away before your guys get to act.

Can anyone tell me how chasing enemies works? It seems you cannot move and use weapons at same time and when you do run into melee range enemy can just run away before your guys get to act.
Generally speaking, don't chase them. If the critters are retreating, you'll never catch them. Wait for them. Sometimes they will stop retreating and start running back to you. Most times, they'll continue running until they spend 2 turns out of range (range is not always line of sight for that determination). Combat will end and then you can track down the stragglers in real time mode to initiate combat again. If you damaged them, they will still carry the scars so there's no penalty to "letting them go".

Occasionally, it actually makes sense to run the other direction, not to retreat, but to get out of combat range so you can close up and start over again.

There is also an "end combat" button that pops up, but it rarely works any quicker than just getting out of range.

So far I am enjoying the game but I don't like that you start in a dungeon with very limited supplies (mostly talking about ammo). I kind of prefer M&M system where it is more open world with early access to shops and towns.

Wizardy 8 has the best first person party based combat system I've seen so far. I've waited many years for a sequel. But since the rights are in the hands of a Japanese company it seems more than unlikely. Therefore I have high hopes for Bard's Tale.
That's actually not true. The Japanese company had a license to produce a few console games using the Wizardry world and trademarks, but the cRPG portion of the franchise (the IP) wasn't part of that deal. I don't know where the RPG trademarks ended up coming out of the bankruptcy proceedings, but presumably one of the bankers got it. With Sir-Tech being an empty shell (my understanding is that the corporation is still registered in Canada, but doesn't actually exist), you're still right that we won't be seeing a Wiz9 any time soon, if ever.

So far I am enjoying the game but I don't like that you start in a dungeon with very limited supplies (mostly talking about ammo). I kind of prefer M&M system where it is more open world with early access to shops and towns.
Did you explore the entire beach area before going inside? You should net about 100 sling stones and a small stack of arrows if you have a ranger or do some diligent searching. Exploring the monastery will stock you up pretty quickly, actually.

So, the appropriate way to report your "scorecard" with Wiz8 is "This many Arnikas, this many Rifts, this many wins." ;)
Man, you know you've really played an RPG a lot if you can make statistically significant distinctions like that. *tips imaginary hat*

I still have my unfinished LMK run lying around, before Rapax Castle. But I really want to add a fourth character (priest). Is that possible at all? Is there a character editor so I could level her up a bit so she gets in range of the others?

Back
Top Bottom