Your top 3D RPG's

And, just to throw another 3D out there, we've now got Stereoscopic 3D. Muuhahahahaaa!

But anyway…

Reviews are fine and rarely steer me wrong. But then, I read the things, I don't just look at the score. I know what I like and what I don't like about games. If reviews are positive but mention things I don't like to see (e.g. checkpoint save systems) then I'll likely stay away. Things I see as positives sometimes get negative comments, too (e.g. Gametrailers saying Dragon Age: Origins was too long). As long as they get the basic facts in there, I'm good to go.

RPGs I've liked a lot in recent years:
Oblivion
The Witcher
The Last Remnant (a JRPG with a very different combat system - most folks didn't like it much but I dumped a good 200 hours into this game)
Dragon Age: Origins
Fallout 3
Risen
Mass Effect 1 & 2

I liked the Shivering Islands expansion for Oblivion but I wouldn't bother with the DLC for any of the above.

I think both Dragon Age and Fallout 3 have DLC worth checking out, especially if they can be bought cheap.

But…. to each his own.

Isn't there a Dragon Age super pack available these days? With Awakening + all DLCs? If such a thing exists, it contains tons of high quality gaming.

Total brain fart on my end. I didn't even think about a digital download.
Only places I've seen it are Direct2Drive and Steam. For what it is, it's not cheap.

Isn't there a Dragon Age super pack available these days? With Awakening + all DLCs? If such a thing exists, it contains tons of high quality gaming.
Yes. EA released Dragon Age: Origins - Ultimate Edition a few weeks ago.

Only places I've seen it are Direct2Drive and Steam. For what it is, it's not cheap.

VTM:B can be bought on Steam for $20, which is a pretty reasonable price due to the quality of the experience once it's been completely patched up. The price should probably be even lower because the game is 6 years old now, but I'd still recommend getting it for $20.

Ooops, yeah, I forgot about Broken Steel for FO3. :blush:

In that case, buying the Ultimate Edition of Dragon Age is definitely something I can recommend.

Witcher
Arx Fatalis
Gothic 1 & Gothic 2 gold
Deus ex 1
Dragon Age + awakening expansion
NWN 2 & the expansion (MOTB)
Morrowind and the expansions (+mods)
Fallout 3 (modded)
Kotor 1, Kotor 2
Vampire bloodlines
Risen

And, just to throw another 3D out there, we've now got Stereoscopic 3D. Muuhahahahaaa!

Actually that's what I thought he meant at first because I do have that and some RPGs are better than others when using stereoscopic 3D.

BTW, you may look ridiculous with those things on, but it is so worth it :) Morrowind never looked more alive. There are drawbacks of course, but seeing that world in 3D made up for any annoyances I encountered.

BTW, you may look ridiculous with those things on, but it is so worth it :) Morrowind never looked more alive. There are drawbacks of course, but seeing that world in 3D made up for any annoyances I encountered.

You can actually do that? I was so interested in this since Magic Carpet had a stereoscopic mode. :) How does that work, do you need a special videocard/monitor/TV? I know PS3 was coming out with an update to add support for it, but can you do this with every game on the PC?

Don't forget Dungeon Lords a genuine 3-D RPG with action combat. One of my favorites, I played it thru 6 times! However you MUST get the 1.4 edition as the original was full of bugs and quite unfinished. The 1.4 is still not completely finished (and never will be) but if you can overlook the limitations it can be great fun! Also best to read some game guides to avoid getting into situations from which you can't recover, such as leaving some dungeons early and you can't get back in and can't finish the game. (of course always save BEFORE entering a dungeon, etc.)

You can actually do that? I was so interested in this since Magic Carpet had a stereoscopic mode. :) How does that work, do you need a special videocard/monitor/TV? I know PS3 was coming out with an update to add support for it, but can you do this with every game on the PC?
I started a topic over yonder... I'll answer there.

@Thaurin

Go to Zloth's thread it answers all of your questions, but if you have the money and don't mind wearing silly glasses then pick this up as soon as you can. Fallout 3, Morrowind, Oblivion, Stalker, The Witcher and others never looked so good :)

One word of warning, it isn't perfect. Some games are better than others. Like in Morrowing I literally felt like I could pick up items in the game in front of my screen, but in others there were a lot of little annoyances like doublevision from things that weren't in the middle of the screen. I adjusted the 3D level and that helped a lot. It was still in 3D, but not as good as some other games.

Edit: I almost forgot to mention GTA 4 and the expansions. You have to play those games in 3D. You'll never want to play them again without the glasses :)

late contribution... ;p

I'd recommend Dragon Age and Mass Effect 2 (space pew pew rpg)

Shame you asked for 3D rpgs.. you'd get so much more choice if you include 2D rpgs like Baldur's Gate II.... ;)

Silly glasses? Since when do dwee… {ahem} computer game enthusiasts worry about how they look? As long as our characters look good, we're fine, right? ;)

Oh, and Jakebaker? Dragon Age 2, The Witcher 2, Two Worlds 2, and Deus Ex 3 will all be releasing in the next few months, so you are on the clock! :whip:

Like in Morrowing I literally felt like I could pick up items in the game in front of my screen

I found the other thread, so I'll be brief here. Hope Oblivion's as good, because I'm not about to replay Morrowind anytime soon. But this sounds awesome, I love such technology. My PC and TV is old, though, and I usually play on Xbox these days. But it's time to replace the 6-year-old PC, anyway. :)

Back
Top Bottom