Risen 2 - First Screens!

I'm not interested in proving anything to you. I'm saying I need confirmation until I can accept that what I think look like touched up screenshots - are, in fact, something else - like handdrawn images.

They've said the shots are "illustrations" and "target-artwork" and we have no details as to how they're doing them. They might as well be the standard marketing "polished" screenshots most other developers use to sell their games, which is exactly what I'm claiming they look like.

Otherwise, point out your source where they're saying they're not using their game renderer to create those screenshots and then adding extra mood in photoshop.
the key is in the "target-artwork".
you create that before you get on with creating the game. that's the process you go through. but cool...

there's no way those screens are not made with a base from an in game engine. that ship scene alone has far too much detail, shadow etc for anyone to devote as much time as it would take to create that from scratch.

i think the "guns" will fit the game world fine. i can imagine them having a very long reload time and if they make ranged combat as good as their other games (ie far better than any other rpg) then we could be in for a treat. i imagine bows might not be in this game at all though maybe crossbows might still be. i'd be delighted if there was going to be ship travel in this game but somehow i doubt we'll see anything other than a "travelling animation" though here's to hoping we do see a return to underwater adventuring--better pack that gunpowder tight...

seeing pirahna bytes move next from "age of pirates/colonialism" to steampunk--now that would be awesome.

Could we, every now and then, have a thread witout D'Artagnan dueling someone? I know, nomen est omen, but still!

"Tell me your screen name and I'll say who you are" ? :lol:

Looks awesome. If you pan around the island a bit you can see a couple of the different enemies. One of them is a pirate with a rifle - probably operates something like a crossbow so not too much to worry about there.

A couple of random additions from the forum threads discussing the PC Games preview. Take everything with a grain of salt:

- The voice recordings will happen in a couple of weeks, they're not already being made.
- (AFAIR) The world will be significantly bigger than Risen.
- Early islands have to be visited again. Something will happen and they'll be filled with more content.
- Risen 2 starts relatively linear, but opens up more and more.
- Graphics made a huge step forward (says the previewer). System requirements are still TBD but will be (relatively) similar to Risen's, says Deep Silver.
- Armour now consists of multiple parts.
- Cannons can be fired, in certain situations.
- Swords are out, sabers and machetes are in.
- No mini-map.
- It won't be similar to the Disney movies. Risen 2 will be more realistic.

i think the "guns" will fit the game world fine. i can imagine them having a very long reload time and if they make ranged combat as good as their other games (ie far better than any other rpg) then we could be in for a treat. i imagine bows might not be in this game at all though maybe crossbows might still be. i'd be delighted if there was going to be ship travel in this game but somehow i doubt we'll see anything other than a "travelling animation" though here's to hoping we do see a return to underwater adventuring—better pack that gunpowder tight…

I just hope there's not going to be too much focus on the guns, and that they're not overpowered compared to bows/crossbows or melee.

I also haven't seen any mention about the magic system other than "there is still magic".

Finally! I voted for Risen 2 as my most anticipated game of 2011 (wasn't confirmed for 2011 when we did the poll, so I had to enter it in the Other box) and I haven't seen anything that would make me change my mind.

Through gamer.no I learned of this informative article:
http://www.gamersmint.com/risen-2-dark-waters-announced/

Quite a bit of info there, go check it out!

Just thought I ask a question. Why cant we ever name the character? Being called the nameless hero makes no sense.

I already had the opinion that 2011 might be one of the best years in PC gaming we've seen in a long time. Knowing that we're also getting Risen 2 now only strengthens that opinion.

It's a toss up between Risen 2 and The Witcher 2 for my most anticipated game, but there are a lot of other promising titles as well.

A pirate themed rpg with guns? Not interested.

A pirate themed rpg with guns? Not interested.

Well that doesn't seem very open-minded ;). Would you rather have the same fantasy cliches time after time? I certainly wouldn't fault you for this, because "to each his own" always applies, but I personally think it's great that PB is trying something new. If a developer is creative and passionate about creating a new setting that is more than just a gimmick, the end result can be great. Arcanum, Deus Ex, Fallout, and several others can be viewed as examples of the greatness that can occur as a result of breaking away from traditional settings.

Well that doesn't seem very open-minded ;). Would you rather have the same fantasy cliches time after time? I certainly wouldn't fault you for this, because "to each his own" always applies, but I personally think it's great that PB is trying something new. If a developer is creative and passionate about creating a new setting that is more than just a gimmick, the end result can be great. Arcanum, Deus Ex, Fallout, and several others can be viewed as examples of the greatness that can occur as a result of breaking away from traditional settings.

Oh, I'm sure it will do well in terms of sales. Lots of people like pirates and that milieu, the Pirates of the Caribbean movies proved that.

I have always disliked pirates and that setting. It just doesn't appeal to me whatsoever. <shrug> And guns in a fantasy rpg? That is another no-no from my point of view. If I want to play a rpg with guns, then I want it set in the future like deus ex or fallout. I don't want guns of any kind in my traditional fantasy setting. It totally destroys the atmosphere from my point of view.

my traditional fantasy setting.

None of PB games was in "traditional fantasy setting" though (of which you´re most probably aware of). If anything, guns are long overdue :).

Last edited:
Oh, I'm sure it will do well in terms of sales. Lots of people like pirates and that milieu, the Pirates of the Caribbean movies proved that.

I have always disliked pirates and that setting. It just doesn't appeal to me whatsoever. <shrug> And guns in a fantasy rpg? That is another no-no from my point of view. If I want to play a rpg with guns, then I want it set in the future like deus ex or fallout. I don't want guns of any kind in my traditional fantasy setting. It totally destroys the atmosphere from my point of view.

Fair enough, I respect that this setting doesn't appeal to you, and I certainly can't blame you for that, given that everyone has different tastes. I also respect the fact that you use objectivity in judging the setting of the game, rather than bashing it just because it's "different" from Risen 1 - that attitude seems to handcuff creativity, as developers fear deviating from the path that their fans expect and have become accustomed to. (except for the larger devs who have the name recognition to do as they please - but they often go "backwards" in creativity, which is a different topic altogether)

To be fair you have to agree with Arkadia7. They said its the same hero from risen and the game was not set in a gunpowder age. How do you go from a medieval metal age to a pirate theme with guns. Unless the people had a huge leap of technology in a short time. Also hearing there will be no swords or metal armor its following what fable 2 did. but that game was 100's of years ahead of the first game.

They said its the same hero from risen and the game was not set in a gunpowder age. How do you go from a medieval metal age to a pirate theme with guns. Unless the people had a huge leap of technology in a short time.

Yeah, I have to admit that's what bothers me about what I've seen/heard so far.

Still, Piranha Bytes has yet to make a bad game, imo.

Ever heard of 3d-studio max? or maya?

yeah and do you use them? about how many hours do you think that ship scene would take. i'll gladly wager you money that i can produce roughly that same "screenshot" when the game comes out. and it won't take me dozens of hours or thousands of dollars of software;) i guess we'll all find out sooner than later thankfully anyhow.

i do recall people being in disbelief of the gothic 3 screenshots that were released before that came out. piranhna bytes now how to create some beautiful worlds so i for one have no problem "believing" that they could create such scenes with their engine and a little doctoring perhaps to wet the appetite.

on the topics of guns i suppose its also possible that guns will play a very limited role either due to a very limited amount of ammo, or no real skills at all associated it with them and have them function similar to scrolls in that each one has a limited use, and they are rare.

here's to hoping they wow us with their best game yet.

This new info has me pumped! Yet, I am disappointed that Kai-Roi is not involved this time. The new composer has some big shoes to fill!!!

Risen, even with its mid-to-late game flaws, was a blast to play. The first 2 chaps. in particular, are outstanding. I only hope the 2nd game can maintain that positive momentum for longer....

Back
Top Bottom