The Witcher 2 - Combat Overhauled But Not Dumbed Down

On higher difficulties, you could actually disable the sword going red and rely upon your own instincts and memory for timings instead. It was more gratifying that way and saved combat from being a timed clicked response to visual stimuli.
You couldn't turn off the weapon trail glow and sound which indicate when to press, just the icon change. I guess if you played with your eyes closed and no sound then you would have to rely on instincts and memory, but that was more hard core than I was willing to go!

I still enjoyed the combat - hard was a good difficulty level, although there were some spikes in difficulty that required a little meta gaming/trail error. Perfect for a second run through though.

Can anybody confirm the QTE's are still in the game like in force unleashed? I seem to recall it being mentioned in an interview.

Why would they remove them?

They are still in for boss fight (from my understanding they are optional, it just take longer to defeat boss without them) and "tavern combat" use them as well.

I'm surprised that everyone only remembers clicking to the glowing sword. I remember using backflips, rolling out of the way stunning them with a sign and moving in for a one hit kill and using many other signs. No it wasn't the best combat I've ever played but I thought there was plenty of stuff to do and it was fun.

Why would they remove them?

They are still in for boss fight (from my understanding they are optional, it just take longer to defeat boss without them) and "tavern combat" use them as well.

Because I cant stand hitting different keys just to kill a boss. Miss one and you have to start again that's why. I hope they are optional.

Ugh. You've got to be kidding. Talk about "click NOW for something awesome to happen"…
Dude, that's ALWAYS the case with any real time game... Seriously? Are you seriously making that point?

In any case, it was fun for me because of alchemy, but only on hard, because it was just the sound of the sword that told you when to click, and that was great, and because alchemy was pretty important, even though it wasn't absolutely necessary. My big complaints were the fast day-night cycles which were completely stupid and spoiled the fun of exploring, quite a bit. And the inventory system, even on the enhanced version, was stupid. I loved the lack of focus on stupid loot, but it wasn't very balanced. 10 leaves used up the same space as 10 potions (IIRC), which wasn't really realistic. OR fun. Alchemy was awesome though, I loved it.

I'm surprised that everyone only remembers clicking to the glowing sword. I remember using backflips, rolling out of the way stunning them with a sign and moving in for a one hit kill and using many other signs. No it wasn't the best combat I've ever played but I thought there was plenty of stuff to do and it was fun.

Ditto.

I am among those that enjoyed TW1's fighting styles. Of course, everything can still be improved, and I have my hopes high up for the sequel.

witcher 2 not dumbed down?

lol rly? kinda difficult to get dumber than the first one

My problem with the first one was the difficulty spikes. I remember fighting the sorceror guy at the end, trying over and over. He could somehow insta-stun you and then take half your health. Just not fun, only frustrating. I never finished the game though I think that's really close to the end.

Other combat just got annoying with hordes of stupid creatures coming at you in the swamps.

I disliked the juvenile sex content. It seemed sloppily tacked on and added nothing to the game aside from making it feel marketed to 13 year olds.

Other than that I liked the game a lot.

I never finished the game though I think that's really close to the end.

I never finished the game despite being half way done with chapter 5. Too much combat for me.

Timed combat or not, I'll be happy as long as they keep the pr0n.

Well the trailer opens with some topless chick tied to a post being interrogated by a guard, so I think your hopes will be realized :)

Well the trailer opens with some topless chick tied to a post being interrogated by a guard, so I think your hopes will be realized :)

I thought I read somewhere that they were going to put a top on her because a lot of previewers said that scene made them uncomfortable.

Yes, but what about all the other boobie scenes? ;)

If i remember correctly it wasn't the boobies that made them uncomfortable. It was the fact she was getting tortured while topless, apparently thats much worse than getting tortured with a shirt on. Don't really get it.

If i remember correctly it wasn't the boobies that made them uncomfortable. It was the fact she was getting tortured while topless, apparently thats much worse than getting tortured with a shirt on. Don't really get it.

feminists got angry

I too, was quite happy with the combat in the Witcher 1 the way it was. It's true that it didn't require much skill and the player just had to click in the right moment, but it's a role-playing game... In those usually the character is supposed to do the work and the player only commands him. That's what all the character attributes (and so on) are for. Level a character up in the right way and reap the benefits.
However, I'm looking forward to part two. So far I'm still expecting quite the worthy sequel.

The only way for combat to be decided by character attributes is with TB combat. Anything else incorporates player skill as well. Surely everyone remembers Roca pontificating on this point ad nauseum over the years!! :)

Back
Top Bottom