DA:Inquisition - Trailer & Screenshots

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
This has got to be the most over publicized cRPG in history, or at least it seems like it. Well they have convinced some people of the game's merits so possibly the enhanced marketeering may have been worth the budget.

Personally, I'm still in wait and see mode…

Yeah, I need to see/read what others here and elsewhere think of it. DA: Origins was the last Bioware game I enjoyed. If this is a return to form and closer to that than their other recent outings, I'll give it a shot. But, not holding my breath.

This over-over-hype is what bigtime video games do nowadays. I don't connect the hype machine with the game itself.

As for how good the game will be, I do not believe that trailers and screenshots give any sort of real hint for me.

The hype is getting pretty extreme, but it's still not in the same league as Peter Molyneux (Fable etc) or Pete Hines (Bethesda).

Of course, all RPGs are small time compared to things like Destiny.

The hype is getting pretty extreme, but it's still not in the same league as Peter Molyneux (Fable etc) or Pete Hines (Bethesda).

Well Molyneux is the king of bullshit, so it's hard to top him. At least Bethesda's RPGs have been pretty good though, which is more than you can say about anything recent from Bioware.

If you are hyped for the game, that's your own fault in the case of the DAI.

BioWare has shown all the gameplay systems through a few live streams and the select few (aka gaming press) having the right to record their hands-on and preview them afterward.

Yes, the people hyping the game are completely without responsibility. It's not like they're trying to market the game in an effort to sell it or anything.

We all know that what games appear to be in their marketing campaigns is a completely wholesome and accurate representation of everything they will turn out to be in reality ;)

Yes, the people hyping the game are completely without responsibility. It's not like they're trying to market the game in an effort to sell it or anything.

We all know that what games appear to be in their marketing campaigns is a completely wholesome and accurate representation of everything they will turn out to be in reality ;)

I have yet to see BioWare telling people to buy the game because it's going to be the best game ever. They are just letting people show videos of the game, not even their own videos might I add.

Also, going by all the bugs I've seen in the live streams, I'm confident they were accurate.

I have yet to see BioWare telling people to buy the game because it's going to be the best game ever. They are just letting people show videos of the game, not even their own videos might I add.

Also, going by all the bugs I've seen in the live streams, I'm confident they were accurate.

You're clearly the dream audience, as seen from the perspective of suits ;)

You're clearly the dream audience, as seen from the perspective of suits ;)

It's the first time I hear that being able to manage your expectations makes you the dream audience.

I'm pissed off at people who think that hype is created by the developers. Unless they are outright lying like Moylneux or telling people that they needs the game, they are not creating any hype via their marketing.

Hype has always been created by a bunch of overexcited gamers wet their pants after seeing a 30 seconds CGI trailer because they are incapable of managing their expectations or fail at understand why the developers are saying.

Also, I've seen plenty of things about DAI that I do not like "on paper", just so we are clear.

It's the first time I hear that being able to manage your expectations makes you the dream audience.

I'm pissed off at people who think that hype is created by the developers. Unless they are outright lying like Moylneux or telling people that they needs the game, they are not creating any hype via their marketing.

Hype has always been created by a bunch of overexcited gamers wet their pants after seeing a 30 seconds CGI trailer because they are incapable of managing their expectations or fail at understand why the developers are saying.

Also, I've seen plenty of things about DAI that I do not like "on paper", just so we are clear.

I'm not talking about the developers - but the marketing department. Those two are often much more separate than one would think, because developers tend to focus on making the best game they can, given the time and resources available. The marketing and PR department focus on making the game seem as desirable as they possibly can, as it's their job to do so.

I bet a lot of developers are frustrated with the people selling the games, as they feel a ton of presure to live up to the hype campaigns.

Most developers who elect to be in the limelight are those who're comfortable presenting games in the best possible light, ignoring the obvious flaws - because you don't want to risk a hit in sales. That's a huge no-no.

Believing these people at their word is like trusting all online dating profiles will include a wholesome picture of the people behind them. As in, not very realistic. Doesn't mean they're full of lies - but that they simply don't include all relevant information.

If you really doubt this, you should check out a game like Aliens: Colonial Marines - and listen to the developer interviews - and the front figure Randy Pitchfork. Compare their marketing pitch with the reality of the game - and it should become pretty clear to even the most naive that something's very off in the marketing culture.

If you're pissed off at people for being excited about games as they're being presented in the media, you're being a bit silly.

Does it pay to temper expectations and to be sceptical? Indeed it does. But the people selling the game are more responsible than the people who trust in marketing campaigns.

That's my opinion, anyway.

DArtagnan, I think you need to work on your reading comprehension.

If you're pissed off at people for being excited about games as they're being presented in the media, you're being a bit silly.

Witcher 3 has been getting quite a bit of hype as well.
As a consequence, I deliberately avoid reading anything about the Witcher 3 since too high expectations will only lead to disappointment.

This is one of my most anticipated games so I don't want to actively reduce my enjoyment by allowing myself to be needlessly overhyped :).

DArtagnan, I think you need to work on your reading comprehension.

I gave you examples of developers being actively part of the hype campaign, so I think you might want to think about that comprehension thing yourself :)

Some developers are very much part of the problem - but the marketing campaigns are the heart of the issue, and there's no way you can put all the responsibility on people who get excited about games because of hype.

That's the silly part.

As a consequence, I deliberately avoid reading anything about the Witcher 3 since too high expectations will only lead to disappointment.

This is one of my most anticipated games so I don't want to actively reduce my enjoyment by allowing myself to be needlessly overhyped :).

Me too. I find it absolutely ridiculous that people write essays about games that are still months from release. But you gotta crank out the click-bait I guess.

Really looking forward to this, but man… There's a lot of glitter during combat. Sparklies and frizzles, how the hell do you keep track of what's going on?
1. Enemies take little damage and don't die in few seconds
2. Enemies don't present a real challenge to players and as such it is not really important what is going on
3. Party member AI is well enough that game mostly plays itself. Managing one guy is not hard.

1. Enemies take little damage and don't die in few seconds
2. Enemies don't present a real challenge to players and as such it is not really important what is going on
3. Party member AI is well enough that game mostly plays itself. Managing one guy is not hard.

Crank up the difficulty, and I very much doubt that will be the case. I just replayed DA1 + 2, and in DA2, ChaosTheory's concern is a legitimate one. The rather messy combat tends to lead to quite a few reloads on Nightmare. Hopefully, tactical view in DA: I (we've seen very little of it so far) will be more similar to DA: O.

Back
Top Bottom