Underworld Ascendant - Magic Update

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
OtherSide Entertainment released another kickstarter update this week for Underworld Ascendant with information about the games runic magic system.

We wanted to do a deeper dive into one of the core game systems in Underworld Ascendant, magic. Can’t have a fantasy game without magic!

Magic in Underworld Ascendant springs from the original Underworlds. As with the originals, magic is built on rune stones. Scattered around the Abyss is an alphabet of rune stones, each inscribed with a runic letter. The Avatar discovers these stones as they explore the Abyss, over time building a vocabulary of spells.

To cast a spell, the player lays outs particular combinations of stones. For instance, the pair of stones IN LOR casts a dim magic light. A much more powerful version of this spell using 3 rune stones, VAS IN LOR, casts the brightness of daylight. Learning new spell combinations is part of the fun. You feel as if you are growing in arcane knowledge —- which of course you are!

Underworld Ascendant explores a new dimension of runic magic. As players master the lore they will uncover hidden powers, and learn how to magically transform their runes. For instance, a mage might learn how to transfigure the runes for a Fireball, POR FLAM, to enlarge its blast radius. As the mage’s knowledge deepens, to make the Fireball dance around the chamber, seeking out each nearby foe in turn. Or perhaps instead, to burn with a violet aura, which clings to foes longer and with more terrible effect. Ultimately, a mage can craft their own repertoire of unique and powerful runes.
The game is still not funded, and sits at $538,223 with nine days left.

More information.

I so want to…
…….back the game for $70,000.:biggrin:

As we would all appreciate that. It's a shame the game has struggled to reach its funding goal, and will most likely not reach any stretch goals in the next nine days.

I still have doubts this will be funded.

How sad… I thought the audience would appreciate this kind of immersive dungeon crawler where they actually try to go further with freedom and open-ended gameplay.

Do we really want the same old same old constantly? Must things always stand still?

Oh well.

Replaying Ultima Underworld I with GUS sound and its awesome! The rune system is refreshing. Despite that one spell can be readied only at a time, but still unique game! I wish all that intro-dialogue speech budget was spent on creating monster sounds instead.

I don't think there was an intro-speech budget. It's pretty obvious it was done by people on the team :)

At least, I hope so!

Corwin I believe was voiced by C64 music legend Martin Galway. :) (Goblins n worse milord!) LB was obviously Dickie Garriot.

Frustrating. I'm also starting to get concerned now that we're not going to make it. Whether the company can somehow fund the left over requirement for the $600,000 after the remaining 9 days, remains to be seen. Have many other Kickstarter projects gone ahead despite missing their goal by a relatively small amount? I wonder what the highest threshold/percentage is in this regard.

Avatar from UU1: "I don't need no stinking 70,000!" :)

There's a guy from the team posting over at QT3 - and he seems very certain they'll make it work no matter what.

But I think it's exactly the kind of game Kickstarter is perfect for, rather than these endless fan-service remakes.

Then again, I was never really a huge fan of reliving the past over and over again.

There's a guy from the team posting over at QT3 - and he seems very certain they'll make it work no matter what.

But I think it's exactly the kind of game Kickstarter is perfect for, rather than these endless fan-service remakes.

Then again, I was never really a huge fan of reliving the past over and over again.

And it what way isn't this ALSO a fan-service remake? I'm not complaining because unlike you I love reliving past experiences but with new stories and mechanics and better graphics. I'm just curious what makes this one stand out compared to games like PoE, Torment or Shadowrun. Isn't this also about making a new game that captures the spirit of an old one?

And it what way isn't this ALSO a fan-service remake? I'm not complaining because unlike you I love reliving past experiences but with new stories and mechanics and better graphics. I'm just curious what makes this one stand out compared to games like PoE, Torment or Shadowrun. Isn't this also about making a new game that captures the spirit of an old one?

In the spirit, yes, but if you've followed their pitch and what they're saying, they want to significantly expand upon the old formula and evolve the design.

I also happen to think that UU was a huge step forward that "got stuck" and there's been no attempt to use it again or go beyond it. Same goes for System Shock.

In my opinion, designs for similar games have actually DEVOLVED since those games, apart from production values.

With the exception of Arx Fatalis, there hasn't been a dungeon crawler focusing on simulation and sandbox gameplay.

In that way, it's not the "same old".

Games like SR, WL2 and PoE - while decent enough games - are stuck in the past, and they seem determined to do things in old ways that, from my point of view, aren't terribly exciting and I don't think they represent evolution. They're "safe" designs that people are very familiar with.

That's fine - and I recognise that a lot of people actually PREFER to have games play more or less exactly like they did 20 years ago.

So, it's just a matter of personal preference. I would never tell people to appreciate evolution, I'm just a bit sad that it seems to be such a low priority.

Thank the heavens for Star Citizen :)

I don't really go along with this "fan service remake" complaint. There are certain styles of game, such as the isometric 3d RPG, that were perhaps abandoned too readily, in service of the mainstream audience and the marketers demand for simplicity and eye candy. I don't want replicas of the past - but I do want to see some of these abandoned models to be allowed to iterate and evolve.

I don't really go along with this "fan service remake" complaint. There are certain styles of game, such as the isometric 3d RPG, that were perhaps abandoned too readily, in service of the mainstream audience and the marketers demand for simplicity and eye candy. I don't want replicas of the past - but I do want to see some of these abandoned models to be allowed to iterate and evolve.

I guess it's just that I'm not seeing the evolution. It's not really a complaint, though, as I'm not entitled to evolution and I have no right to demand it. I just think it's sad, that's all.

I consider Fallout from 1997 far superior to WL2 in terms of mechanics and overall design. PoE is as close to a carbon copy of BG that I can possibly imagine, apart from replacing the D&D system with an estimated iteration. Then they go and take away multiplayer, AI scripts and multiclassing, but I guess that's evolution to some?

SR stands out because of the setting, but in terms of gameplay and mechanics - I consider it far inferior to most isometric RPGs.

Maybe we think of evolution as different things? That's certainly possible.

Maybe we think of evolution as different things? That's certainly possible.
Your argument suggests that you think it means clear improvements from one generation to the next, in which case, you are certainly thinking of a different thing.

I am suggesting that if these models are allowed to survive, there is plenty of potenial for the form to improve over time.

Your argument suggests that you think it means clear improvements from one generation to the next, in which case, you are certainly thinking of a different thing.

I am suggesting that if these models are allowed to survive, there is plenty of potenial for the form to improve over time.

I don't think I've argued against potential evolution - as I would love such a thing.

My point is that I've yet to see it from a lot of these KS rpgs, and now there's a visible chance for it.

Seems to me that as long as people prefer to support safe choices and overly familiar pitches - there's little incentive to evolve anything at all.

Bravo DArt! That's probably one of the most interesting and thoughtful chain of arguments that I have read in quite a while!

Yes you do and yes I will :)

Thanks for the answer Dart, I never played UU to any larger extent, so I wasn't aware of the differences. And I do understand you reasoning.

I tend to think of these Kickstarters as a chance to start again with models abandoned, like Ripper said. If PoE delivers a BG clone I'm happy. If that clone
is succesful enough for them to start making sequels that actually evolve the mechanics and the gameplay, then I'm even happier.

For example, I though Shadowrun returns : DMS was good. I though Dragonfall was better. Hopefully, the next installment (Hong Kong) will further improve the gameplay, prehaps making it more open ended and increasing options for how to approach things. That's my wishful thinking with all the nostalgia Kickstarters. WL2 was good, but Fallout good? Nope. But maybe WL3 will be… ;)

Back
Top Bottom