I'll be playing on August 31st. My goal is to get to the beginning of Act 3 of BG3 and stop there, since I doubt I'll have time to finish it. I think it'll be easier to jump back in at the start of an Act.
Come on, you can finish it on time! Think of it as one gigantic, timed quest. <evil grin>

Come on, you can finish it on time! Think of it as one gigantic, timed quest. <evil grin>
Gross. ;)

If anything, I may not get that far. It's over 100 degrees where I live, I don't have air conditioning, and my computer is getting very hot when I run BG3. I don't think I'm going to get far over the next few days.

my computer is getting very hot when I run BG3.
Try limiting your framerate to some sane values. You don't need to run the game at 120+ fps. 60 is enough for this type of game, or even 30 or something in between, at least until the hot spell is over. A friend of mine caved in though and ordered a bit of new thermal paste for his aging GTX 1080. Other things you can do: Update drivers; maybe get a tuning program to undervolt your GPU.

As for Starfield - I'm probably one of the few who isn't interested. Bethesda's games never really clicked for me for some reason (Morrowind / Skyrim; never tried the Fallout games). Probably too free-roaming for me.

Thanks for trying to help, Arhu. It's just old. I need a new computer. I could replace the fan and the thermal paste, but it would be putting a bandaid on a gushing wound. Trust me, I'm not getting 120 fps. I doubt I'm exceeding 25.

Have you tried using Vulcan and FSR they do wonders on older hardware? If you have a newer NVIDIA card you could use DLSS as well. I use Ultra setting with Vulcan with FSR.

Have you tried using Vulcan and FSR they do wonders on older hardware? If you have a newer NVIDIA card you could use DLSS as well. I use Ultra setting with Vulcan with FSR.
I wanted to try FSR but I can't get Vulkan to work for some reason. Crashes every time, even though I have hardware (CPU & graphics card) that they specifically mention in the system requirements.

I'm sorta looking forward to this one, but am cautious. I'm both starved for an open world and a sci-fi RPG, so I'm hoping this one will be ok. I'm fairly critical of everything Bethesda has ever done, but I still find myself playing everything they've done. Bar Fallout 3, I missed that one for some reason. I even bought it on a steam sale for dirt cheap way back when and never bothered to play it. *shrug*

All these delays are making me rather suspicious of the game, so its definitely a "wait and see" from me. Someone would be crazy to pre-order (or even first-day purchase) this.

All these delays are making me rather suspicious of the game, so its definitely a "wait and see" from me. Someone would be crazy to pre-order (or even first-day purchase) this.
What do you mean "all these delays"? One delay: from November 2022 to September 2023. Releasing it back in 2022 is what should have made you suspicious, not taking extra time to polish it.

For some reason I thought there were several. Like wasn't it supposed to be released earlier this year? I might have misread or misremembered, doesn't matter... Maybe my perception is skewered, but it feels like this game has been in development forever. At any rate, when I see a lot of delays, that usually means something is wrong (ie, development hell). Now I'm glad they're delaying things (and hell, if they need another year or two, do it) - its pretty difficult to recover from a disastrous launch. If its a technological issue, I'll probably have to get a new machine before playing this. I'm hoping that Microsoft is forcing Bethesda to release a polished game for once, we shouldn't have to rely on unofficial patches.

But you didn't see a lot of delays. Right? We figured that out together? It's laughable to say that Starfield is or has been in development hell. The team hasn't changed. They haven't switched directions or thrown out work and started over. They haven't set public targets and missed them multiple times. It's a big game, and big games take a lot of time to make and test.

From what I remember it had two delays. The first one was a few months, followed by the year long delay. Anyway that one year delay looks to have improved the game.

I don't know if I like the improved textures and perspective change though. There was a video a few months back showing the changes, it should still be in the news.

Heres the video.
View: https://youtu.be/7tftY6YaZKA

Last edited:
I almost like the 2022 graphics more. With the 2023 one, things seem brighter (not sure I like that or not). Its probably a moot point cuz when I get the game I'll be running it at low to (mid at best) detail anyway.

Just two announced dates, so one delay. Though if you can find something official from Bethesda about a launch date before Nov 2022, I will bow to your superior memory.

Btw, they've announced it has "gone gold" today. Preloads start tomorrow, the 17th, unless you're playing on Steam (in which case not until the 30th). I'm on Xbox, so I'll be getting that puppy ready to go.

Correct I was wrong though the year delay was first followed by the second for a few more months. Still not that bad though. Sounds like it just needed more work.