Larian Studios - No more Baldur's Gate

Lariain has never done DLC or expansions so yeah this shouldn't be a surprise. 🤷‍♂️

Correction they did one squirrel DLC for Original Sin 2.
They also did an expansion for Divinity II.

I wouldn't want a DLC or add-on for BG3. Although BG3 is one of my favorites of all time I would not auto-buy Larian's next game as a big part of the appeal for me was the somewhat familiar setting and D&D rules. I played Divinity Original Sin 2 and only enjoyed it somewhat, quitting after a few dozen hours (which is fine but I prefer to finish a game if I don't run out of steam).

I hope WotC finds someone who can do another Forgotten Realm's game - and someone who implements D&D more faithfully. Not that I'm sure WotC/hasbro care about fidelity, but only the $s. From my side, for D&D: I don't need another cinematic extravaganza - focus on (good) story + good mechanics. I still don't think of BG3 as 'baldurs gate 3' - just nevr felt like part of the series, and while I enjoyed it, I am glad that it is done. I don't want a BG4 - but I would like another FR game that evokes my own first encounter with those lands. That as my introduction to D&D all those years ago.

Rumour has it that their dwarfing-them-all big thing will be called Star Citizen

pibbuR who admits said rumour was created by him at the moment of writing

PS I'm still hoping for the ultimate Ultima. DS

Last edited:

Don't twist that blade any further :(
That if something is great leadership. Prioritizing the creative spirit within your team over money. Hats off. If they thought it was not worth making, it just wasn't. Onwards. With this attitude, I am sure their next game will be another masterpiece whichever IP they'll use.

Don't twist that blade any further :(
You could see the team was doing it because everyone felt like we had to do it, but it wasn’t really coming from the heart
You have to know your team so well to be sure enough to make strategic decisions on feelings. Really impressive. He sacrificed short term gains (which a DLC would have brought for sure) for long term gains.

Yeah, it somehow gets boring to praise Swen and his leadership, but here we are.

1 good, fantasy is bottom of the list of interest for me
2 if they don't fix the woke shit, it is irrelevant , not touching it

They still have a Divinity chapter to tell.

Sorry I am going to be very controversial (and long, need to rant) with my thoughts. I have been a Larian's fan for decades but this move is very selfish - I have no doubts it's good for them, but not for many of us. Abandoning BG3 because it is finished it's a lie. Great series (Fallout, The Witcher, Might and Magic...) span many stories and exciting adventures. It's "finished" for them, but how a story can be ever be "finished". Especially when you give us story arcs that are obviously meant to be continued, and a max level of 12 out of 20.

On the business aspect, I thought that growing the studio to 450+ people meant to be able to work on multiple projects at once. As an example, take CD Projekt Red and their lineup of multiple games. I am sure that Swen was done and tired of BG3, a feeling that many have when they come up on top and want to move on to other things. Why they decided to disregard the community so blatantly when they could have dedicated a small team to stay with BG3 and upcoming content? This is a slap on the face for many of us.

Finally, I would not been so bitter if at least they would go back to DOS 3. But no. Of course that one has already grown stale for them, they want to do something new, yet familiar. So it might be another stupid project like Dragon Commander, a game full of great ideas meshed together with an horrible execution. I played it, as I have played all Larian's games, but it was an absolute shit-show. Alternatively, they could chase the terrible new trend to be 'original' at all costs, such as Disco Elysium or Pentiment. Which might be great games, but surely they are not going to be a staple in the cRPG world as BG3 was. Although I would bet that they are going for an action RPG of some sort - maybe even a great idea and a better game, but once again miles away from the cRPG world I care about, a world I thought and hoped BG 3 was destined to revitalize.

In short: thanks Larian for giving me the middle finger.

Although I would bet that they are going for an action RPG of some sort - maybe even a great idea and a better game, but once again miles away from the cRPG world I care about, a world I thought and hoped BG 3 was destined to revitalize.
Some of your points are reasonable but this isn't gonna happen. Swen has said so many times that the only reason he made DD/BD combat the way it is, is because the publishers made him follow the Diablo fad, and the only reason he made D2 combat the way it is, is because the publishers made him follow the 3D action RPG fad. Since he stopped dealing with publishers, he's been able to do combat the way he wants, and we've seen how he wants it a few times now.

I'm also disappointed but I don't see it this way.
First I don't think that "a small team" would be enough to produce a high quality DLC. I mean it's not horse armor we want, but something like Blood & Wine.
Second I trust in this decision to follow a sustainable strategy, where the goal is the longevity of Larian as a studio producing high-quality games.
I don't want Larian to crumble like Bioware who chased quick cash.

I share your frustration, but on the other hand, I'm glad Larian remains this independent developer making what it wants. Only the result will tell if Swen was right or not. Won't you be happy to discover a new game in a fresh setting instead of a DLC or a sequel, when so many companies bet on DLC, remakes, and remasters?

That decision is the indie spirit for me, more than considerations of being a subsidiary or having shareholders.

Personally I find that a bit strong. Larian only decided to not continue with Baldur's Gate, there are gaming companies that do things that are a lot worse.

Selfish I can see, this is Swen's company and in the end if he is not feeling it, it won't get made. He can say that he is consulting with his employees, but I still think that he has a vision and that vision comes before anything. I see him a bit like a benevolent king, he's a genuinely nice guy who means well, but he's still the boss. Swen wants to work on something new, the rest have to follow and he certainly won't change that because the fans want more of the same.

Back
Top Bottom