2008 NHL Playoffs

When I hear a swede named "Hank" I think Sedin. Gary Roberts and probably Chelios will be missing game 1. Osgood..puh! If the Pens have been doing their homework they'll have known how Dallas found his holes.

Dallas didn't find any holes. Turco plugged the sieve for a couple games to extend the series, but Ozzie was solid even in the losses. The thing Pens fans should worry about with Ozzie is that he hasn't been streaky like previous years. Back in the day, you could count on Ozzie to let in one beachball per game and make a couple saves that he had absolutely no business making. This year, he's not stealing too many, but he's not giving up many softies either. As good as the Wings' D is, "steady" is going to win a lot of games.

By the way, aren't the player awards given only a couple of weeks after the playoffs?
The player awards are based on regular season only, and the candidates were announced a couple weeks ago. They will be awarded at some big wing-ding in Toronto a few weeks after the Cup is awarded. The Conn Smythe (playoff MVP) is the only award based on playoff performance and is presented minutes before Lord Stanley.

@Lucky- On the injury front, any word on Mule yet? Last I heard, he was doubtful for game 1 although he had been cleared to practice.

Last edited:
Last I heard, Ken Holland said that Franzen will play at some point in the final...

Hmm, I was gonna say Wings in 5 or 6, but that's already taken so I'll say sweep, 20 goals, Zetterberg MVP.

Nice start to the series, 4-0 good guys. My plant manager is a Pens fan and has been talking trash. Perhaps some sort of wager would be appropriate. Maybe he'd like to wear my Wing Nut hat for a day...
ebay listing for Wing Nut hat (couldn't find a picture anywhere)

Complete domination from what I could see. I had to be satisfied with seeing the highlights on Sportscenter.

We were clearly the better team last night. Don't know that I'd plan the parade route just yet, though. Malkin was really awful (not just on his giveaway, either) and Sammy wasn't a waste of skates. I don't see either of those two things continuing for long. The Pens only got sustained pressure 2 or 3 times, though, which should have them worried.

Another dominating performance. The Pens gooned it up at the end but got shut out again. Want to change your bet, Corwin?

First team in NHL history to score the first 7 goals in the cup finals.

I have a feeling that this vacation I'm on is going to be extra special.

Order of 20 hot wings - $17.99

Side of Ranch dressing and celery - $1.79

Large glass of Mountain Dew - $2.99

Watching the Detroit Redwings dominate the Pittsburgh Penguins while relaxing at Hooters in downtown Honolulu........ Priceless!

Last edited:
You should have heard the Pens coach after the game. The refs aren't calling interference on the Wings, Ozzie's a diver, Roberts punching Mule in the head from behind didn't happen... What a tool. Hopefully the zebras won't fall for that sorry ploy next game.

Finally got to watch a full game on TV and what a wonderful result!! :)

Now we're talking. What a game. The Pens were talking about the difference when they get the first goal. They sure are creative off the boards and now look like they are able to handle Kornwall and Datsyuk by just hitting anything that moves.

Other things to consider is how the last change affected the play, the slower ice and the less lively boards in Melon Arena compared to the Joe Louis.

Stupid Bettmen is letting NBC show the next one Saturday though. Drives you nuts!

Pens earned that one. They played nearly flawless hockey and managed to pull out a 3-2 squeeker. Sammy was back to being worthless, which I believe I predicted. That's OK. I honestly figured we'd lose game 3 and then finish things off in 5. Right on track so far. Good news is that 31 teams started the finals 2-0--30 of them won the cup. I'll take those odds.

Redwings 2 Penguins 1

AHHHHH YEEEAAHH! 3 down, 1 to go. The Wings should be hoisting Lord Stanley on Monday night!

Great game by both teams tonight, it could have went either way.

I hate to be a pedant, but it should be: 'It could have GONE either way.' :)

Right..2-1 playoff games. Gotta love 'em.

I don't give Pitts much chance in Detroit with their faster ice and faster boards.

I did enjoy Gary Robert's takedown of Darren McCarty however. This will probably be the last time that's ever going to happen.

Incidentally, Mike "Doc" Emerick was inducted into the broadcaster category of the HHoF. Some say Jim Hughson but I say Doc is the best in the business.

Apparently there was a big tribute to Luc Bourdon before the game however they didn't broadcast it (or mention it) during the game or on the NHL Network.

They showed the whole Bourdon tribute on CBC. It was all over the front pages of the newspapers here in Vancouver as well. It's sad; he almost certainly would have been a full time NHLer next season and probably a top four d-man eventually.

That penalty call when Crosby jumped at Lilja to draw the 5 on 3 was just brutal. Luckily it didn't affect the outcome of the game.

Sid the Kid sold that one pretty well, didn't he? Floppa Forsberg would have been proud. It will be interesting to see if the boys are pepped for game 5. Once again, every media outlet is giving the Pens no chance of even competing--last time that happened, we let them squeek away game 3.

I thought they did mention the tribute on NBC right at the begining. No video of it, but mentioned by the announcers, IIRC.

@corwin- quit being a bitter pedant... :p

Back
Top Bottom