BG3: Your race/class?

SirJames

SasqWatch
With the recent news about multi-class per-requisites being removed and hearing frustratingly intriguing things like

"One issue with multiclassing is that if you multiclass early in the game, you don't get strong abilities like "Fireball" at the same level as a "pure" class, but we wanted players to be able to multiclass from the start of the campaign, without having to necessarily wait for the advanced levels, so it was the case to revise the use of resources a bit."

I was wondering if anyone 'round these parts had any neat ideas in store for their first BG3 character?

You know what I really want to play as a mind flayer Paladin that needs to eats brains. Don't worry though as I'll humanely eat only the brains of those who are near death.

What you say it's not possible why not the 5th edition removed alignment.:biggrin:

Anyway probably a Drow sorcerror or Orc berserker. Choices choices.:unsure:

Primary - Neutral Good Seldarine Drow Rogue with a focus on Dexterity, Charisma, and Strength.

Chaotic Good ArchFey Warlock (not sure on race - probably human or wood half-elf) with Charisma, Constitution, and Intelligence

Chaotic Good Druid or Ranger Half-Orc with a focus on Strength and Wisdom

I don't like to multi-class as I feel it dilutes things. The big exception is in WOTR I loved to multi-class a Sacred Huntsman with 4 levels of Knife Rogue.

I don't care if alignment is there or not, I still base my choices in a game around a fairly consistent morality alignment, with exceptions of course. Everyone has a bit of gray in them.

Haven't decided yet since most of them weren't in the EA. The Gloom Stalker (Ranger subclass) sounds cool though.

I also want to learn more about the Monk subclasses.

I'm leaning toward Ranger. I'll probably be boring and make him a half elf. I want to talk to all the animals and explore whats possible rp wise.

I don't like to go with anything special the first time through a game. I'm just going to playing a pure Wizard, probably an Enchanter.

I'm leaning towards a pure monk - but then if I want a magic user, I'm stuck with Gale (unless I turf him and get a hirleing...but I want to see how at least some of the origin stories play out). Or maybe a paladin - but the whole oath breaking bit soured me on that.

I'm almost sold on Monk, but I'll see the race in function of what I'm aiming for. It won't be the dragonborn, that I couldn't identify with. And I don't think I'll multiclass it.

I'll almost certainly try the Dark Urge, but with another class.

That's all I know. :D

Since I prefer non-violent solutions based on social skills/lore knowledge and similar skills I will probably start with a class strong on that. In most RPGs that ends up in a cleric or mage type.

But since I also like strongly, if a party contains all main base types (e.g. a strong fighter, a mage, a cleric, a thief, may be a ranger) I might also read up in advance, which of these are covered by the first recruitable characters and then chose a type not covered by them. However, that idea is in conflict with my other habit, to start the first playthrough without reading any spoilerish information. So it will be a tough decision. (Except if you start with a completely customised party, then you don't have that problem. I haven't even read up on this question yet, so I assume that you meet other characters like in BG1 and BG2.)

In any case: I don't like multiclassing or other types of class combinations or changes, so I will decide for one pure type and stay with it.

I was going to play my first play through as a tiefling warlock but I'm not sure now since there are some origins available.

I might play the first one without an origin and keep the origin for when I play with my friend in coop

Haven't decided yet since most of them weren't in the EA. The Gloom Stalker (Ranger subclass) sounds cool though.

I also want to learn more about the Monk subclasses.
I have a Gloom Stalker in my tabletop game. He's a blast to play and I will either try a paladin or a ranger on my first playthrough. Paladins and Barbarians are incredibly powerful in 5e.

If you want to have an easy game, multiclass any non-spellcaster with three levels of barbarian with the bear totem. We forbid any barbarian multiclassing in our game.

I was going to play my first play through as a tiefling warlock but I'm not sure now since there are some origins available.

I might play the first one without an origin and keep the origin for when I play with my friend in coop
Playing one of the Origins is very tempting; I never regretted it in D:OS2, even if the physical aspect was preset. The class is preset too, which may be more annoying in a D&D game. So we have to find a character we like and who has the right class.

Class Rogue. Undecided on race especially after the reported changes. Likely between high elf, half-elf or human.
Subclass will likely be assassin

Playing one of the Origins is very tempting; I never regretted it in D:OS2, even if the physical aspect was preset. The class is preset too, which may be more annoying in a D&D game. So we have to find a character we like and who has the right class.
The existence of that option kind of sucks in a game with only a 4-character party. So, play one of the origins and you gain +33% characters in your party that have a backstory, but at the expense of being able to create your very own character. Forces you to make that tough choice. Won't matter as much for people who tend to replay games a lot, but I'm not one.

The existence of that option kind of sucks in a game with only a 4-character party. So, play one of the origins and you gain +33% characters in your party that have a backstory, but at the expense of being able to create your very own character. Forces you to make that tough choice. Won't matter as much for people who tend to replay games a lot, but I'm not one.
Choice always sucks since you have to drop something else. That's one point of view, anyway, and it's an optional feature.

You trade a part of freedom for a deeper background story that is acknowledged by the other NPCs, which seems unavoidable. But you don't lose your entire freedom since you can still make your character evolve as you wish. The alternative is the Dark Urge, which leaves you entire freedom. I may choose that one if I don't find an Origins with a class I like, even if it's a somewhat darker story.

Larian's site says you can change the class of origin characters: https://larian.com/support/faqs/gameplay-information_52

If that's actually true, then I'd guess it'd apply to yourself as well, if you're playing one? Still, it means it's not really "your" character. (With the exception of the Dark Urge thing, I suppose)

Yes
That's why I'm thinking of doing my own thing first.

My likely journey to starting PC class / background selection...

1 - spend many days deciding whether to go with origin story pre-built character
2 - if yes, probably the wizard guy, skip to step 7
3 - if no, spend many days trying to figure out which class will mesh well with the main story / campaign
4 - spend many days trying to figure out which party role isn't well served by the NPCs
5 - spend many days finding perfect character portrait that matches my newly created PC
6 - if perfect portrait cannot be found, go back to step 1
7 - play act 1
8 - If played act 1 < 4 times, go back to step 1
9 - Create a chaotic good, male, drow, ranger with duel wield and weapon focus = scimitar

Larian's site says you can change the class of origin characters: https://larian.com/support/faqs/gameplay-information_52

If that's actually true, then I'd guess it'd apply to yourself as well, if you're playing one? Still, it means it's not really "your" character. (With the exception of the Dark Urge thing, I suppose)
Maybe that means they intended the respec to change the base class too back then? We'll have to see how it works. As long as it doesn't contradict the story of the Origin, it could be a nice option.

Back
Top Bottom