BG3: Your race/class?

You do not need to spend a lot of money unless you want to. You can easily earn free re-incarnations, etc. Yes, there are several quest lines you have to buy, but if you can't afford them then someone in your guild can always buy you a guest pass. From time to time they offer special deals on those quests, even making some free to get for a limited time, so since the base game is free, it's not a bad deal.
No, I agree with you. I enjoyed DDO a fair deal, just by paying the VIP pass (I think it's $10 a month?). It unlocks most races, quests and stuff. Worth it in my opinion.

It's just once I got deeper into it, I realized that to have the most complete builds, you need to pay a lot. When you look up character builds, people who are very savvy even make a "cheap" and "whale" alternative for the builds, depending on how much money you're willing to invest.

Still a good game, though, despite being fairly old, I would totally play it if it wasn't the DnD dad of Diablo Immortal.

I've been playing with a group from here at the Watch for nearly 20 years and I would spend less than $50 a year. You really don't need to spend extra money to get a great build and if you're in a guild like ours, we give newbies heaps of free gear to help them out.

I'm hesitating a lot about the choices at level 8.

I have a monk with STR=10, DEX=18, CON = 14, INT = 10, WIS = 14, CHA = 12. He found a gear that grants him DEX +2 with a max of 20, so DEX = 20 (which is awesome).

I could:
  • ignore the gear and continue increasing the base DEX to 20 (so no change right now), then 22 at level 12
  • keep the gear and increase WIS to 16 (my AC is DEX+WIS), then maybe CHA to 14 at level 12 to have more fun with the dialogues at the end
  • keep the gear and get a feat. For example, Savage Attacker offers advantage on damage rolls, giving a 30 % boost on average. Or Martial Adept gives a new system with the superiority die.
I'm inclined to take the 2nd option and increase WIS; does that sound, err, wise?

There are interesting feats but I find it difficult to give up on ability scores for them, and he's taking some damage himself so increasing the AC now feels like a good decision. Those feats seem more appropriate for a fighter, too.

Wisdom seems low with 14. I'd increase that, particularly if you follow the Way of the Open Hand. Maybe again at level 12? Something to do with raising the Ki saving throw DC (to better hit enemies with KI abilities like Flurry of Blows?).

No idea about feats. I'd say pick one if you really want it for your character's theme. DEX is even already, otherwise a half-feat with DEX+1 might have been another option.

I've taken the Way of the Shadow, but I can't remain hidden all the time, leaving a mage, a cleric, and a trickster on their own. ;) And, as you say, taking care of WIS will improve the Ki DC. That comforts me in that choice, thanks!

The hybrid feats may suit some of the companions, which seem to be systematically odd. I suppose they do that to reach 18 sooner at the expense of one ability.

I first created all races/classes combinations except fighter, but as usually I play the one I didn't want to - half-elf paladin, because of the backstory I created for her during creation. Half-elf because that was the race left I didn't intend to use and it felt good for paladin armor :p.
She shoved her hair (I couldn't find and good haircut for a woman oath paladin, so she ended up with terrible hair) after her parents were murdered and swore an oath of vengeance. Cool is that the game is supporting that very well, so that is my first playthrough.
In my second playthrough I'm going to play sorc tiefling, dark urge, because his face has such noble look until he gets dark urge, then he pouts and his eyes start to glow. So that is another twist of character which is interesting. Also that combination does fit well - mephistofeles thiefling as natural sorceror.

I'm not good at math of builds, so I choosed defaults stats :p.

Back
Top Bottom