BG3: Your race/class?

I'm near the end of the game now, probably finish it tomorrow, so I'm bracing for that.

Character is level 12 Sniper/Ambush focused:
Fighter 6 (Battle Master)
Ranger 3 (Gloomstalker)
Rogue 3 (Assassin)

Rest of party:

Lae'zel (Level 12 Champion Fighter)
Shadowheart (Level 12 Trickery Cleric)
Jaheira (Level 12 Moon Druid)

Had Gale all the way til the end of Act 2 when I swapped him with Jaheira.

Still playing two characters - Ranger and Rogue. Game looks great. Made myself a ReShade preset. Medieval Dark Fantasy for lack of a better name.

Images are below are of the Ranger, Keth Wolfheart, my Drow Rogue, Kveldulfr, and my Warlock, Wulver Blackfur.

Tools:

Reshade 5.9.1
Baldur's Gate 3 Unlocked Camera mod by Otis_Inf (Frans Bouma)
IGCS Depth of Field by Otis_Inf (Frans Bouma) - Just released so wasn't used in these images but working on it.

Keth's stats:

Last edited:
I beat the game as a human monk. Now I am playing Karlach as my main.

Pro tip, if you dont like Astarion, you can make Wyll into a rogue.

I beat the game as a human monk. Now I am playing Karlach as my main.

Pro tip, if you dont like Astarion, you can make Wyll into a rogue.
Can't you make anyone you want into a rogue with the respec NPC? Is there something special with Wyll?

Not sure I'd ever do that though, would feel like I'm trashing the story. I'd be more inclined to just get a rogue hireling.

From what I've read the flexible racial ability scores have been an optional part of 5E via Tasha's Cauldron of Everything since 2020.
Yeah, and many people (myself included) didn't like it - so it was unwelcome news to see they'd forced one (not an option) to go that that route. And its not core 5e. They could have saved a lof of criticism about their rules implementation if they'd allowed options for rules, like Solasta and PF: WotR/KM.

They ruined Paladins as well in the 5E by removing god patrons to oaths. Frankly most of these changes happened because D&D went mainstream, and was casualized.

3.5 was the last true D&D as the 4E and 4.5E was the start of massive changes.

They ruined Paladins as well in the 5E by removing god patrons to oaths. Frankly most of these changes happened because D&D went mainstream, and was casualized.

Yeah, I've lost intetest in D&D again - I had come back from PF after 4e - but with the way D&D One is shaping up, well, I think I'll try PF 2e

In terms of my playthrough, quite far into baldur's gate city itself - All chars at11th level now, MC is paladin, L'aaezel Fighter/BM, then Gale Evoc wiz, Shadowheart, cleric. The two fighters just destroy everything - especially with action surge and a haste potion. I'm also using some tadpole powers - which have a major effect on combat effectivness. I chose not to go full tadpole (stil have about 6/7 in mypack ;) - but what I have is already very useful (that plus an item I found allows my paladin to "crit smite" quite frequently, which is crazy. *one* crit smite with 3rd level slot is ~8d8 radiant + 2* weapon damage (+ more if against fiends/undead etc). Most enemies don't resist radiant damage (unlike elemental resistances which are quit common). Paladins in BG3 are simply too powerful. In part, because the action economy is broken in the game. Take above and add haste with another full attack. Sheesh.

Can't you make anyone you want into a rogue with the respec NPC? Is there something special with Wyll?

Not sure I'd ever do that though, would feel like I'm trashing the story. I'd be more inclined to just get a rogue hireling.
Yes I was mistaken. You can make anyoen into another class and respec them.

TBH I wish Larian made Divinity OS 3 instead. Because DnD is pretty much broken after level 11. Which is why they capped it at level 12. But at least this puts Larian on the map.
In terms of my playthrough, quite far into baldur's gate city itself - All chars at11th level now, MC is paladin, L'aaezel Fighter/BM, then Gale Evoc wiz, Shadowheart, cleric. The two fighters just destroy everything - especially with action surge and a haste potion. I'm also using some tadpole powers - which have a major effect on combat effectivness. I chose not to go full tadpole (stil have about 6/7 in mypack ;) - but what I have is already very useful (that plus an item I found allows my paladin to "crit smite" quite frequently, which is crazy. *one* crit smite with 3rd level slot is ~8d8 radiant + 2* weapon damage (+ more if against fiends/undead etc). Most enemies don't resist radiant damage (unlike elemental resistances which are quit common). Paladins in BG3 are simply too powerful. In part, because the action economy is broken in the game. Take above and add haste with another full attack. Sheesh.

I suppose they couldn't use 3.5 and get the blessing of WotC, and Pathfinder isn't as iconic. Ah well, at least it's much better than the flawed D:OS 2 system with its dual armour and AoE abuse.

The changes didn't happen because DnD went mainstream and casualized, they happened because you would have your character crippled and limited in options due to rigid racial bonuses. For example, plauers wanted to play a Dwarf Paladin (which is very well lore-supported) and they couldn't because dwarves got -2 to Charisma and not only that, only a race or two had Charisma bonuses, so you ended up with every paladin being that race, which is really bad for the game, and boring besides. Dozens of examples like that.

So the option for equal racial ability bonuses was given in official material by popular demand. Races still have their own peculiar perks, like dark vision, particular resistances, spell-like abilities and so on, but stat-wise, if you choose so, they can have a +2 / +1, as to not crippled builds off the get-go, and allow for a variety of class/race combinations. Now if you want to play a Dwarf Paladin, you don't need to be crippled for life by having -4 Charisma compared to a Drow Paladin.

Larian went with this likely under the counsel of WotC, as Divinity games had racial stat disparities. An option would have been nice indeed, but it's a little disingenuous to paint it as a "bad Larian" conspiracy. It's a change that was made for players to freely choose their class/race combination without feeling like their choice would cripple them mechanically.

Last edited:
I suppose they couldn't use 3.5 and get the blessing of WotC, and Pathfinder isn't as iconic. Ah well, at least it's much better than the flawed D:OS 2 system with its dual armour and AoE abuse.
Pathfinder would have been the better option as it's classic D&D at its finest. Now you have One D&D coming out and well it's even worse. Thankfully some developers use it.

I'm going to stop as we have our resident Larian defender chiming in again when my problem is with the people behind the rule changes since the 4th edition not Larian.

Heck Pazio even released a new version developers can use for free.

Last edited:
Still playing two characters - Ranger and Rogue. Game looks great. Made myself a ReShade preset. Medieval Dark Fantasy for lack of a better name.

Images are below are of the Ranger, Keth Wolfheart, my Drow Rogue, Kveldulfr, and my Warlock, Wulver Blackfur.

Tools:

Reshade 5.9.1
Baldur's Gate 3 Unlocked Camera mod by Otis_Inf (Frans Bouma)
IGCS Depth of Field by Otis_Inf (Frans Bouma) - Just released so wasn't used in these images but working on it.
Nice images once again wolf. Just remember each of those mods might need an update evey-time the game gets a hot-fix or patch. Happens with every moddable game.

Anyway thought you would have played a Barbarian/Druid based on Skyrim.

Last edited:
Pathfinder would have been the better option as it's classic D&D at its finest. Now you have One D&D coming out and well it's even worse. Thankfully some developers use it.

I'm going to stop as we have our resident Larian defender chiming in again when my problem is with the people behind the rule changes since the 4th edition not Larian.

Heck Pazio even released a new version developers can use for free.

I should stop "defending". It's mischaracterization and misrepresentation that get me, but in the end, anyone is free to believe as they want.

I think it's valid to prefer old versions of DnD over new ones, too, don't get me wrong. It's just not done out of malice, to control the masses, the changes are made because it's what people actually want.

Mistakes will be made, and they will be corrected, nothing is perfect.

If you want 3.5, then join us in DDO where you can play with real people and enjoy all the goodness of the 3.5 system!! :)

If you want 3.5, then join us in DDO where you can play with real people and enjoy all the goodness of the 3.5 system!! :)
Sigh...I would but I despise online games. Anyway curious wasn't the 4th edition used for the MMO. Only asking as I remember reading articles about the game.

The downside of DDO is that to optimize your character, you require spending hundreds of dollars on XP boosts and reincarnations, although you can still play without paying in a very crippled way (no access to the best dungeons and questlines, weak characters, limited race/class options etc)

Neverwinter I felt it wasn't a great game, but it had a lot of potential. Very pay-to-win too, sadly.

The downside of DDO is that to optimize your character, you require spending hundreds of dollars on XP boosts and reincarnations, although you can still play without paying in a very crippled way (no access to the best dungeons and questlines, weak characters, limited race/class options etc)

Neverwinter I felt it wasn't a great game, but it had a lot of potential. Very pay-to-win too, sadly.
You do not need to spend a lot of money unless you want to. You can easily earn free re-incarnations, etc. Yes, there are several quest lines you have to buy, but if you can't afford them then someone in your guild can always buy you a guest pass. From time to time they offer special deals on those quests, even making some free to get for a limited time, so since the base game is free, it's not a bad deal.

Back
Top Bottom