Cyberpunk 2077 - What to expect?

CDPR got recognition for TW3 but they are still in the "as good as the last game" ligue.
I'd rephrase it into "one hit wonder".
Gwent TCG aside, the question can they make another epic masterpiece will remain till Cyberpunk is released.

There is something else happening that doesn't help. It's Bioware moving away too far from roots. If there will be no direct competition, CDpr's next game just can't be awsome as one can't know what needs to be made better if there is noone else to compete with. It would be horrible if in worst case scenario, CDpr moves to compete with Ubi's AC series.
I still can't understand why, after so many fantastic games with no endless trashmobs, Bioware decided to include the decadent design in DA:I.

I'd rephrase it into "one hit wonder".
Gwent TCG aside, the question can they make another epic masterpiece will remain till Cyberpunk is released.

I liked all 3 Witcher games personally, so they are a "3 hit wonder" to me, but also "only as good as the last game" too.

The way the Cyberpunk 20XX atmosphere is (regardless of gameplay) I'm not sure if it's going to have the mass appeal The Witcher 3 got though. It takes an acquire taste to still appreciate that early 90s rock'n'roll fashion sense…

I liked all 3 Witcher games personally, so they are a "3 hit wonder" to me
To me too.
The point is not our personal taste but the general games topcharts.

The way the Cyberpunk 20XX atmosphere is (regardless of gameplay) I'm not sure if it's going to have the mass appeal The Witcher 3 got though. It takes an acquire taste to still appreciate that early 90s rock'n'roll fashion sense…

We'll have to wait and see but it's possible that more people will try a different taste because it's CDPR. As for the early 90s fashion… I wonder if CDPR will preserve it or upgrade.

We'll have to wait and see but it's possible that more people will try a different taste because it's CDPR. As for the early 90s fashion… I wonder if CDPR will preserve it or upgrade.

I'm not sure...I guess it's a matter of taste, but could alos give more distinctive tone to the franchise. Like Fallout did with it's own "goofy" take on politics, religion, etc.

I thought the same, but just played Far Cry Blood Dragon recently...neon lights, synths and e-guitar, cheesy lines all over the place, man I loved it.

There is a poster on a wall in the trailer and one of the concept art (orange Mohawk hair dude) on the website that come straigth from the 2020 core manual. They just added colors and more details then the line art monochrome in the book. I think they plan on preserve as much as they can.

I love this concept art, such a stylish coat.

Funny how you are talking about TES, because I'm expecting Cyberpunk 2077 to be around Skyrim level sans perks/health/magicka/stamina/levels (which is basically where The Witcher 3 stand anyway). Although, a part of me wouldn't be surprised to see perks and skill trees because they are trendy but that wouldn't be Cyberpunk ruleset anymore.

The Witcher 3 is nowhere near as watered down as Skyrim. I don't think you quite understand what I'm saying. TES is watered down because they've taken away features with every new game in the series. The Witcher series has more or less been consistent so far. The only exception is alchemy which they did simplify a little in TW3.

I think Cyberpunk might be more complex than some people expect due to CD Projekt being fans of the PnP version themselves and the involvement of Mike Pondsmith.

The Witcher 3 is nowhere near as watered down as Skyrim. I don't think you quite understand what I'm saying. TES is watered down because they've taken away features with every new game in the series. The Witcher series has more or less been consistent so far. The only exception is alchemy which they did simplify a little in TW3.

I think Cyberpunk might be more complex than some people expect due to CD Projekt being fans of the PnP version themselves and the involvement of Mike Pondsmith.

The Witcher series consistent? It switched genre between the first and second game. The first had RTwP combat, click-to-move and could be played with an isometric view.

Anyway, my comment was in regard to how the Witcher 3 character building was similar to Skyrim: a bunch of perk trees and secondary stats.

The Witcher series consistent? It switched genre between the first and second game. The first had RTwP combat...
The first was NWN engine fail.

The Witcher series consistent? It switched genre between the first and second game. The first had RTwP combat, click-to-move and could be played with an isometric view.

Anyway, my comment was in regard to how the Witcher 3 character building was similar to Skyrim: a bunch of perk trees and secondary stats.

Switched genre? RTwP combat? Sure, if you say so. ;)

My point is that it's stayed about the same in terms of complexity and not been stripped down like the later TES games.

To be honest, stats did not made sense for a set character there...making Geralt with low intelligence, high strength but low dex, etc...would make no sense.
Here they could do something like Mount&Blade...base gameplay mechanics set as in action game, but rpg stats adding a lot of "nuance" to how you play, like high strength decreasing recoil, etc. Determining your "raw" physical/mental abilities that directly affects everything you do in +/- x%.
Maybe even, "supernatural" bonus for fully maxed in one stat...like in Arcanum.
Perks are great if added as dynamic passives that can change how you use on your skills/abilities.
Augments could be like Deus Ex style...."Powers", abilities that add another layer of interaction, supernatural resistances...anything outside of what you can attain through training.

I have faith that CDPR will make an outstanding game and it will be an instabuy for me.

The only company that is in that category for me at the moment.

I wish they would make an MMO.

Switched genre? RTwP combat? Sure, if you say so. ;)

My point is that it's stayed about the same in terms of complexity and not been stripped down like the later TES games.

You clearly never played The Witcher 1…

To be honest, stats did not made sense for a set character there…making Geralt with low intelligence, high strength but low dex, etc…would make no sense.

The first game had attributes, they just improved some secondary stats and could be improved like the magic and weapon skills. That's all was removed in the sequels though. I do agree that The Witcher series is an action-adventure series with a fixed protagonist with an heavy baggage where letting the player decide their character build didn't make much sense.

Saying that Cyberpunk is not going to have a set protagonist from what the devs have said.

You clearly never played The Witcher 1…

To be fair I think many people missed that fact the game could be played isometric or ots/third person. At least many poeple I talk to didn't know, which is a bit strange since you pick which way to play every time you start the game.

To be fair I think many people missed that fact the game could be played isometric or ots/third person. At least many poeple I talk to didn't know, which is a bit strange since you pick which way to play every time you start the game.

I've never played it in isometric because I find third-person a lot more immersive with a single character. I only recall having to make that choice at the start of a new game. I think it's funny though that azahal would try to claim TW1 was an entirely different genre because the combat mechanics were different and we had a choice of viewpoints.

I do agree that The Witcher series is an action-adventure series with a fixed protagonist with an heavy baggage where letting the player decide their character build didn't make much sense..

I wonder who you're agreeing with since no one else is making such a claim. :)

@sakichop Kinda weird, you basically get a tutorial on all the view and movement modes when you start a new game and you can switch while playing.

I've never played it in isometric because I find third-person a lot more immersive with a single character. I only recall having to make that choice at the start of a new game. I think it's funny though that azahal would try to claim TW1 was an entirely different genre because the combat mechanics were different and we had a choice of viewpoints.

The only difference between how I played The Witcher 1 and Dragon Age Origin is that DAO had a party and more classes. Regardless of viewpoint chosen you can still pause and issue commands.

The Witcher 2/3 are twitch action games. Dragon Age Origins/The Witcher 1 are RTwP. That's two different genre of games to me.

As for my comment about action-adventure games. I'm actually agreeing with BoboTheMighty that giving stats to Geralt was stupid because it is a set character. The action-adventure remark is because if you remove stats and have a fixed protagonist than the game is no different than games like the Batman Arkham series which are action-adventure despite the character building, questing, levels and XP gameplay available. The witcher games just have more choices&consequences, but I get C&C in my RTS games campaign too and I don't consider those RPG for it.

Anyway, that's off topic.

I'm not sure if you understand what "genre" means. Either that, or you're choosing to define it differently than everyone else. Having an option to use RTwP doesn't make TW1 more of an RPG, and having action-based combat doesn't make TW2 & TW3 less RPG. Isometric vs first/third person also has nothing to do with that.

If you want to look foolish by calling them twitch action games, that's your prerogative. I'll assume you're going to be consistent and also refer to all TES games post-Morrowind in the same manner.

Back
Top Bottom