Dragon's Dogma 2 - Released

Is it true that they charge you $1.99 to customize your character in a single player game that cost $80 ?

Is it true that they charge you $1.99 to customize your character in a single player game that cost $80 ?
We already talked about this in another thread - you can if you are lazy but you can also do this by earning gold or other in-game currency.

I'm now a few hours into the game.

As a game, it is better than Dragon Dogma 1 in every aspect. Beter graphics, better animations, better UI, the inventory is much more clean and quicker to use, the keybindings make sense in general. You can now even open the map by pressing M, like most modern games, which is very welcome. In DD1 you had to pause the game, go to options, then go to Map, every time. Many little improvements that make the game much better in general, as a game.

First of all, as you start the game, you get the option to play Offline or Online. So the first myth debunked, no online forced play. If you play Offline, you can still get pawns at pretty much all levels, but they are all "official" pawns, ie, made by Capcom themselves. Also it means that nobody else can use, commend or gift items to your pawns. Good for people who don't want online interactions or restrictions of any kind.

Another myth to debunk - you can "Save and Quit" and "Save and Continue" at any time you are out of combat. So no need to be afraid to lose 2 hours of progress because no autosave popped up and you fell off a hill. Players just need to make sure to save as often as they'd like, like they'd do in any other RPG.

The game is indeed restricted to just one save file though, and so far I haven't found a way to begin a new game after you start one. This feels weird and hopefully a feature that will be added after they get some feedback, but there is that. I believe there is a mod already that allows to backup and change save files for people who want to start a new character if they're not happy with the first one for whatever reason, or just feel like trying something else.

Past the actual game, the product has a lot of "out of game" noise that doesn't affect the quality of the game, but will surely ruffle some feathers, and even be a deal breaker for some people;

For starters, it has Denuvo, so I know that will keep many 21st century holy knights away from trying it. The crusade must continue, and I thank you for your service. I will keep enjoying the amazing game that Dragon Dogma 2 is, though.

One that I'm less happy about, the game has micro-transactions for some convenience items. I haven't found myself in the need of them yet, but some of those items are portal stones, appearance changers or rift crystals, to mention a few. Some people won't mind, others will hate it. I personally do not mind that much, but I'm very disappointed. It's just stupid and short sighted to send that message to players for scraps, when you're just months off massive successes in the RPG genre such as BG3, Elder Ring or Cyberpunk2077. It's like Capcom hasn't learned how you earn the love and the money of people. Hint: It's not by enabling lame $2 microtransactions to take their cash change.

Performance-wise, I've been reading all kinds of things, but to me it plays perfect. I noticed a small framerate drop the first time I entered a big city you find reasonably early into the game, but it wasn't even annoying, just made turning my camera a bit stuttery for 2-3 seconds. Other than that, the performance is crispy and clean. I do have a very good system, so that's something each player will have to test individually.

That's most of what I think off my first 5 hours into the game. Hope it helps others to make their mind on whether play, avoid or wait. I enjoyed the first game a lot, so to me it's a no-brainer, as it is a net improvement on everything that the first game was. This time even the story seems more appealing (early to say).

Last edited:
How to Start a New Game + Change Character/Pawn Appearance in Dragons Dogma 2!
Thanks for this very much! Very useful. The fact that you can't even start a new game (even if it meant deleting the existing) has to be the number one poorest game design in the history of game design. I mean like WTH, you should be able to start a new game. Even they want to prevent multiple saves you should have the option to delete and start over.

It makes no sense, honestly. I really like the game and it's all I had hoped it to be, as a game, but it's hard to defend out-of-game decisions like this one, assuming it's a conscious choice they made and not just a day-one slip-off. As usual, I rather focus on the many positive aspects and leave the made-up first-world problems of dignified Karens to others, but I see no reason why you wouldn't allow people to begin a new game. The only thing I can think of is that it's a cultural disconnect from an Asian company bringing a RPG into the Western market, but even then it's difficult to understand.

Performance-wise, I've been reading all kinds of things, but to me it plays perfect. I noticed a small framerate drop the first time I entered a big city you find reasonably early into the game, but it wasn't even annoying, just made turning my camera a bit stuttery for 2-3 seconds. Other than that, the performance is crispy and clean. I do have a very good system, so that's something each player will have to test individually.
What are your specs? Your profile says 3080. What processor?

The game was choppy for me (3060ti, 13000k, 64 gb ddr5) on even the character creator.

What are your specs? Your profile says 3080. What processor?

The game was choppy for me (3060ti, 13000k, 64 gb ddr5) on even the character creator.
Specs.jpg
Rig.jpg

Those are the specs I'm playing the game with, absolutely no performance issues (some stutters in the main city when trying to turn the camera very fast, but fairly minor and non-impeding)

My game has been running well so far too, with everything on ultra/max and no DLSS enabled. I am on a 3080ti although I am eager to get my PC with the 4090 back from the shop.

Outside of minor nit picks and personal preferences, I am enjoying the game a lot. The no new game is my only serious issue with it and luckily I am on PC and was able to work around it. I actually prefer to focus on one character so that isn't the problem - it's that it usually takes me a few attempts before I know who I want to settle on. I usually restart any game I play a few times.

Also while you can change your appearance in-game I don't like to, beyond hair and beard. It just feels odd to me that my char would completely change even with magic.

Most day one problems with any recent Capcom game is due to DRM. I won't mention it's name as it triggers a few members. A few patches usually fix the problem.

DRM isn't responsible for the framerate issues here. It seems heavily dependent on how populated an area is with NPCs. Hopefully it's something they can improve.

I thought how they did the opening to the game was fantastic. I already care more about my pawns in an hour or so than I did in 100+ hours in the first game. It was funny that rook was the starting pawn again.

Graphics are nice ( max settings + RT 4k) Haven’t had any performance issues yet, but I haven’t made it to any big cities yet. From what I’ve heard the issues are on the CPU side. Large numbers of NPC’s are taxing the CPU. I haven’t looked at my usage though just what I’ve heard in videos.

Combat is fun, I wish there was a lock on or at least a soft lock like in Batman or Shadows of Mordor but that’s personal preference. I didn’t try M&K but I didn’t care for the default controller layout. Having my dodge on R1 was too awkward. Fortunately you can remap controller commands and I fixed it. You can also select which prompts show up in the settings for PC, PS5 or Xbox controller which was a nice touch.

Only an hour or 2 in so not too much to say but looks promising so far. I agree with the “ if you liked the first one you’ll like the 2nd one sentiment “.

One great feature that incentivizes exploration is the Seeker Tokens. Apparently there are 220 hidden through the world, all of them in out-of-the-way places. I found my first one by randomly climbing on a bell tower, together with a unique piece of gear and a rapier.

Tokenseeker.jpg

As you find more, you get better rewards from the Guild.

Additionally, you can also increase your carry weight capacity by finding Golden Beetles spread through the world, also usually out of the way, though much easier to find in general than the Seeker Tokens.

So far it's being an absolute joy to explore every last corner of the vast world, not only thanks to these things, but definitely aided by them.

I know I want to play this with a controller, but I'm also leery of the reports of crappy performance on the PS5. I have a computer that would run this at the highest settings, but this isn't the sort of game I generally play on PC. So not sure what to do. I know this isn't a console site, but if anyone happens to know a good source of performance reporting on the PS5 version of the game, kindly point me in that direction.

I know I want to play this with a controller, but I'm also leery of the reports of crappy performance on the PS5. I have a computer that would run this at the highest settings, but this isn't the sort of game I generally play on PC. So not sure what to do. I know this isn't a console site, but if anyone happens to know a good source of performance reporting on the PS5 version of the game, kindly point me in that direction.
This is anecdotal, but one of the major sites claimed that the drops in frame rate for the ps5 version was making their editor feel ill, so they changed to a decent PC. So , if you have a decent PC...
That said I imagine they're going to improve the performance on all platforms. It sure ain't good at the moment.

Also, the game works fine with mouse and keyboard. I'd even say that targeting vulnerable spots with missile combat is probably a lot easier with a mouse.

This is anecdotal, but one of the major sites claimed that the drops in frame rate for the ps5 version was making their editor feel ill, so they changed to a decent PC. So , if you have a decent PC...
I do, but then Danutz was saying that the frame rate was all over the place on his decent PC, so I dunno. I'm still playing Rebirth for now. Maybe a patch or two will improve it in the near future.

I'm now about 10 hours into the game, been all over the place by now, done a couple of caves, and many quests, and my performance isn't suffering from prolonged play, which works great for me.

As a side note, I seem to be finding Liftstones everywhere, I have 7 now in my inventory (they work as fast travel "charges" in DD2), so my initial skepticism about not being able to fast travel as often as I'd like is being quenched. Might become a problem later, so I won't get too feisty with their usage just yet.

Weight capacity seems to be the bigger gameplay "issue" to me, as I made all-female party with a variety of medium to small frames, and that seems to affect your carry capacity in some way. I'm scrounging up every Golden Beetle I can, but for now the one thing that keeps bringing me back to the settlement is to "unload", rest and go back at it again.

Edit: A great feature to mention, to counter the limited inventory weight - the city's persistant storage seems to be unlimited, and the shopkeepers or craftsmen NPCs can track what you have stored, so it's safe to just dump all materials in there and forget about it. If you ever need the materials, it'll be as good as if you were carrying them yourself.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom