Games in the 40 hour range?

Thanks Couch. I remember you shared some of those before. I'm also interested in the mods KWM mentioned, about bringing the game up to more modern standards.

Thanks Couch. I remember you shared some of those before. I'm also interested in the mods KWM mentioned, about bringing the game up to more modern standards.
You might be more interested in the graphic mods then, but I don't have the time to make another long list though. So here a short condensed list for NWN.:)

Edit: Also here is a short video guide about installing mods.

Link - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DL4Jxty5j0&feature=related

Myself I remind Adam Miller NWN1 modules. Among those I played it's those the best written including with more emotions, better plots, and better characters than in many pro games. He had also a care to focus on gameplay design and bring diversity and tricks. His modules, at least for Dreamcatcher was designed with combats not bringing XP and you could often solve situations or progression by skipping some combats.

When looking about information I quoted this (old) post including a very small selection of modules for NWN1 and NWN2. In the list there's the Adam Miller modules (but not commented):
http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=92805

I remind Shadowlord was quite good stuff, but Dreamcatcher was big stuff of a better quality than plenty CRPG. I don't think I ever played Demon and it seems unfinished.

I remember playing Adam Miller's Dark Waters (NWN2). I just can't stand NWN2 engine, so I didn't finish it but boy, it was a good module. Very intriguing plot.

CP pretty much covered things. There's also all the "reforged" weapon models, Barb's heads, creature overrides, Zeks patch haks and the big one NWNCQ. I also use a first person camera mod so I can explorer in first person (with dungeon roofs on).

There's also nwnshader that gives you some of the more modern effects. The guy who worked on it was involved with the MW modding scene too. There's two versions Bahamut_0214 and Chronepsis 0.2.2.3 - the later is a bit buggy so i've been using v2.1.4 for a long time. It's a little bit of an acquired taste but it can make things look nice most of the time. Here's a screenie I took just now of a old save from the Endless Nights 3 module. I'll admit it's dated but it looks ok and tbh there's so much content and so much D&D in the game that the game play is usually pretty good. My only real gripe is a lack of fine party control, this is most noticeable with spell casters.

Oh yeah, I always play with Old Mans Beard's henchmen mod. Lets you build your own party in any module and carry them over from one module to the next.

In case you couldn't tell… It's one of my all time fav's.

NWN2 looks quite a bit prettier out of the box and can also be modded to be even more so (the gawd awful weapon models and faces are a good start) and you can use things like sweetFX or ReshadeMe with it easily. But as PB says there's something a little off with the camera and it feels sort of confined during play. The MQ is also long and a bit tedious tbh, I'm yet to finish it. But you do have 100% control over your party and there is lots of content for it too, even a BG remake and I think rjshea is building the NWN1 HoTU campaign in NWN2 so there's that to look forward to.

Head over the NWNVault for all the mods you could ask for.

You can pick both titles up for a couple of dollars these days and they are my go to games if I feel like D&D.

Have fun

=)

Last edited:
Thanks guys, good info.

You can also always go the emulator route and try a console classic, like Chrono Trigger. :) It's less than 40 hours, somewhere between 20 and 30 for most people, and it's an all-time great. :)

I remember playing Adam Miller's Dark Waters (NWN2). I just can't stand NWN2 engine, so I didn't finish it but boy, it was a good module. Very intriguing plot.

I have a special relationship with mods, on one part some games mods filled years of playing or year :) on another part I tend avoid mods because of the hassles to make them work, to try many before find one that appeal me, because it's too short, more.

So NWN1 has been one of the very rare game for which I followed mods during one year, close or a bit more. At reverse I only tried a little bit for NWN2 and gave up.

For me NWN2 set of assets is better but it's not that which helped me dig its mods. Also it broke too much the mods scenary for me, at first too many authors gave up using it.

If you don't have much time but are curious try more of Adam Miller NWN1 mods, don't hesitate start with Dreamcatcher, it's a great one on every aspects. No real need play Shadowlords first.

Back
Top Bottom