BG3 Infos on Baldur's Gate 3

Baldur's gate 3
I'd prefer if it was handled like DLC where you can uncheck the box in the properties tab if you don't want it installed at all. I don't want to see items inspired by characters from D:OS 2 in my game.
I'm not sure I want to see that in BG3 either, though I have no idea what this Divinity Bard Song Pack actually is. Let's hope it's not a bard at the camp singing the feats of Divinity heroes in a loop.

In Divinity: Original Sin 2, they had this notion of gift bags that you could enable or disable, like mods. If they use the same system, you're safe.

Origins characters

Swen Vincke said, in an interview with Dropped Frames, that he wouldn't recommend choosing the Dark Urge, or perhaps even the other Origins, for the first playthrough.

You get a different version of the story when playing the Dark Urge, and seeing the events from a different perspective is more impactful if you have experienced the standard version first. The same is true of the Origins, because you see the story through their personality and you learn their secrets, so this reveals little unknown and mysteries that you may want to discover or wonder about in a first, normal playthrough.

There's a follow-up question on respeccing the class of those Origin characters, which doesn't sound like a good idea as we discussed earlier.

You can respec everything at character creation and later with the respec NPC, except the subclass of two characters(*) when you recruit them (so I suppose not when you play as them). But 'in their heads, they will always have that [their default class] in their background', because of their story.

(*) The question was: (I reformulated) We know that classes are part of the Origins' character, so will we be able to respec them?

The answer was:
Yes, you can respec everything and you can respec through the game, also; there's a gold price to be paid but you can respec anybody. The only things that are actually locked in are the subclasses of two of our Origin characters when you start playing, when you recruit them. But, yeah, you can respec in any case, so, doesn't really matter.

Understand who may. My interpretation? Just don't respec. ;)

Last edited:
You can respec everything at character creation and later with the respec NPC, except the subclass of two characters when you recruit them (so I suppose not when you play as them). But 'in their heads, they will always have that [their default class] in their background', because of their story.
So there are two particular companions whose class cannot be changed if I'm understanding that correctly? Did he specify which two characters?

So there are two particular companions whose class cannot be changed if I'm understanding that correctly? Did he specify which two characters?
No, he didn't specify. And he said 'subclass', which is strange.

I've added the transcription of that part in my post. The last sentence makes it even more confusing.

Oh, and I found back this quote about the party not being locked in after act I, in their Community Update #20. So that was correct: no lock in.

While we initially planned to lock players in with a core crew of companions past Act I, we nixed that plan in favour of a buffet-approach to team selection. You’ll be able to mix and match any of these characters into your group throughout. And, yes, you’ll be able to romance almost all of them (ask us sometime about that Halsin scene).

A last tip: Know when to start downloading, because you don't want to start downloading the EA. :p
Normally, the release version is available at 15:00 UTC on Steam, and perhaps it's the same for GOG (but who knows).

1) If you have an up-to-date EA installed, that's easy: you'll see when something new can be downloaded. However, note that the update may take a lot of place on your disk since you'll have both the EA and the new downloaded version at the same time, until the installation is finished and has removed the EA.

2) If have nothing installed (if your EA is not up-to-date, you may want to uninstall it)

How to detect if it's still the EA and not the release version?

- For Steam, I'm not sure how to detect that - maybe someone who has bought it on Steam can tell.

- For GOG / Galaxy, the current EA size is 69 GB to download, 79 GB once installed. If you click on Install and if you see this, it's still the EA: wait a little longer. The release version should be bigger. You need to confirm before the download starts, so no worries.

1690993932170.png

- For GOG / manual download, if you see this at the top, it's still the EA: wait a little longer. The release version shouldn't have the 'EA' at the end (I suppose the number will be greater too).

1690993865316.png

A last tip: Know when to start downloading, because you don't want to start downloading the EA. :p
Normally, the release version is available at 15:00 UTC on Steam, and perhaps it's the same for GOG (but who knows).

1) If you have an up-to-date EA installed, that's easy: you'll see when something new can be downloaded. However, note that the update may take a lot of place on your disk since you'll have both the EA and the new downloaded version at the same time, until the installation is finished and has removed the EA.

2) If have nothing installed (if your EA is not up-to-date, you may want to uninstall it)

How to detect if it's still the EA and not the release version?

- For Steam, I'm not sure how to detect that - maybe someone who has bought it on Steam can tell.

- For GOG / Galaxy, the current EA size is 69 GB to download, 79 GB once installed. If you click on Install and if you see this, it's still the EA: wait a little longer. The release version should be bigger. You need to confirm before the download starts, so no worries.

View attachment 4701

- For GOG / manual download, if you see this at the top, it's still the EA: wait a little longer. The release version shouldn't have the 'EA' at the end (I suppose the number will be greater too).

View attachment 4700
I think they'll probably just put an announcement out. I don't think it is that complicated :D

I think they'll probably just put an announcement out. I don't think it is that complicated :D
Some people are really excited about that download. :)

I won't be getting caught in the rush since I'll probably start playing in about a month or so.

So damn true especially with the offline patch installers, and patch support in general.

If the games offered weren't DRM-Free I wouldn't be using the site at all.

There are other advantages, but I was wondering when I should launch the update, so I thought others might wonder too. Their release logs are almost always incorrect, the release time varies wildly from game to game (and I'm not talking a few minutes), and they don't give any indication, so it's not as simple as that.

I could just wait for the next morning, but night time is ideal for downloading without monopolizing the whole Internet bandwidth, since I'm not the only one using it here.

From Larian via Twitter:

Full post tomorrow, but for Baldur's Gate 3 players with existing Early Access saves, we ask that prior to August 3, launch the game, and delete all save files to avoid unintended conflicts at launch. Also, remove any mods and ensure they do not automatically re-download.

They gave some detailed advice on Steam too. I'd definitely uninstall the EA.

• Delete your in-game Early Access Saves
  • Uninstall the Early Access version
  • Delete your Mods
  • Install BG3 on an SSD
  • Update your graphics card drivers

I miss the hellfire warlock class from 3.5. The three in BG3 are lacking.

Some fun stats from Larian. From a TwitterX post so not sure if I link if people will see. Also Hot fix 3 is out for even more things for Scratch to do. I love that you can use his ball to summon him, that he can revive characters, and hunt for digging spots.

Hotfix 3: https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1086940/view/6199820457241590774

We’ve got another hotfix for you today, fixing over 200 bugs, issues and more. Dogs: man’s best friend, but remarkably high maintenance. In this update, we’ve let Scratch off the leash a little bit, and he’ll sniff out digging spots by himself! Make sure you give him a pet for every bit of treasure he uncovers, you heartless monsters.

Attachments

• F3QlBT1XIAEbutJ.jpg
    F3QlBT1XIAEbutJ.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 4
  • F3QlBTkWIAA53FE.jpg
    F3QlBTkWIAA53FE.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 3
  • F3QlBTtXgAEFUGq.jpg
    F3QlBTtXgAEFUGq.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 4
  • F3QlBTWW4AEPPt5.jpg
    F3QlBTWW4AEPPt5.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 5
Love those stats, thanks for sharing!

I was heavily considering having Lae'zel as my main character for the next playthrough, try a more generally evil path this time (or let's say.. less altruistic at least). Seeing she's the least popular origin character makes it even more inviting.

Back
Top Bottom