JA3 Jagged Alliance 3 - Some tips to get you started

Jagged Alliance 3
I found the game rather amazing, started two plays in parallel, and it's a lot of fun as a toy tool.

At first the game can feel have combats quite difficult for lowest difficulty, and for me it was a good thing. But by playing more, it's clear there are tools that can lower a lot the amount of problems in combats. It's from using a lot stealth to use a lot Sniper, but also using a lot grenades, using massive weapons to solve tougher cases, more. But it's also tricks related to the sector and the combat, like use a fixed machine gun or C4 or ensure kill first a potentially annoying enemy with a rocket launcher. I quoted also few sectors allowing a total exploit of overwatch and it's a lot of fun because it's rare.

For global management aspect, from players comments it seems the dev made it a bit too random when mines become dry. I quoted comment of player with all mines weirdly dry, or when the mine is captured it is already dry. It's bizarre that dev seems have used mines becoming dry to avoid excessive grinding and training, and would still make it very random. Myself I had to fire some mercs, but I can't say in the two unfinished and running plays I ended in a dead end because of money.

From second play I'd say to play it more cautious for economy:
- That's the obvious first mine east to small island, but then mine at south, it seems north is more to unlock faster a rush to an end, or perhaps let player unlock faster a hard difficulty mode. The two mines at north are less safeguards for economy than progression of main stories that will end to provide more mines.
- Only hire mercs for 14 days, it's cheaper in long run, and will force you be less "pocket hole" on mercs costs that you allow yourself to hire.
- Consider setup a strong point in path of enemies diamond caravans, like with militia trained and one mercs or two at least at default difficulty. Even if this will generate more expanses, including one or two mercs for such task, it still should be at worse no money lost and a lot of militia training time won by using a few extra mercs. For sure it's just for default difficulty.
- Don't hesitate consider squad split and one or two extra mercs so you can manage healing and repair and crafting or even some other tasks in parallel. ok Multi team UI is good only with global map management (activate extra pause options not by default) but almost bad or micromanagement heavy with anything else, ammo, items, caches, resources sharing along multiple squads. But if you can go over it it should be a lot of time win. Many sectors won't require a full team, I doubt even at max difficulty, but my comment is for default difficulty.
- You could be tempted to accumulate money for safeguard, but there are mercs that will scale their next salary augment on your current money amount, so perhaps it can works but certainly with bad surprises and by changing mercs.
- Common, activate the Indulgent option, it's here to facilitate this aspect, and it won't break your play if you are worry on this aspect.

All of that to say that if it's not (yet) a game for high level tactical challenge, it's already an incredibly great game, like an advanced Tactical RPG with a faily nice mercs sim aspect and a very well developped RPG side, plus great combats and cool global management, BG3 you are warned :p . But really for now JA3 is my GOTY. I loved Expeditions Rome also a Tactical RPG, but JA3 is at another level. But yes if you can't bear play games not well polished JA3 isn't yet for you, ER is (now) at opposite on that, a game almost too much polished lol.

Last edited:
Yeah, as Bjon pointed out the mines running dry was changed a bit in the patch. So while there is still time pressure it's probably a bit better now.

I am also currently working on a Leadership video...high leadership potentially lets you do much more in the same time. But I will explain in detail later, hopfully tomorrow.

Yeah, as Bjon pointed out the mines running dry was changed a bit in the patch. So while there is still time pressure it's probably a bit better now.

I am also currently working on a Leadership video...high leadership potentially lets you do much more in the same time. But I will explain in detail later, hopfully tomorrow.
Yeah Leadership is mostly major, I had IMP 85 Leader at first play, 80 at second, the progression on map is ultra faster even when compared to some rare 30 Leader merc. And still a lot faster than 50 Leader. I even started in second play make Leader training inside some non A-Team to have faster team leaders. But didn't noticed other points related to Leader skill.

For mines the core problem seems more the RNG with mines dry out and it seems the dev didn't heard about the problem for this first patch. The patch seems only target money decrease when a mine is drying out, not at all when mine will dry out, this will have the side effect of more brutal budget changes and won't really target the probable core problem of dry out RNG.

Aaaand I finished my video regarding leadership. Including formulas, Tables of the best militia trainers and some info about travelling speed. I actually doubt Leadership is intended to be that powerful:
View: https://youtu.be/M-hFBcLfWD8

Fox got to Level 4 and she has Dexterity 100,but I can't choose a Tier 3 DEX Perk, which supposedly only requires min DEX = 90. Is that a bug? Anyone else got this?

No. She has only one perk Tier 1 and only one perk Tier 2.
Redglyph is meaning you need to have already invested in 3 perks under the same attribute to be able to buy a tier 3 perk.

Yes, that's apparently how it works. You need both the ability score and enough perks in the same ability. You need one before open the 2nd tier (I think) and 3 before opening the 3rd. Now they've put it in the tooltips when you hover those perks. :)

Aaaand I finished my video regarding leadership. Including formulas, Tables of the best militia trainers and some info about travelling speed. I actually doubt Leadership is intended to be that powerful:
Thank you for another informative video, Kordanor! :thumbsup: You're really our guy for all things JA-related.

Yep. I bet this one has taken some time to test all the possibilities. ;)
yeah, but making the video was easier, because it wasnt down to chance as it was in the stealth video. Getting fitting footage there was a pain :D

yeah, but making the video was easier, because it wasnt down to chance as it was in the stealth video. Getting fitting footage there was a pain :D
I can imagine. And when I saw the presentation I thought you also had to use a ton of software and a good stopwatch to do it. Do you record the narrative then cut the footage to make it fit, or do you have another method?

Thanks for the videos Kordanor. If I may just give a minor piece of feedback. I think you should start the video with a quick intro rather than diving straight into it.
Even though I had read the title of the video, you jump straight into "The leadership skill..." and I had to quickly take a step back to understand what the sentence was.

Most Youtubers would have a second or two saying e.g. hello this is Kordanor and I will go through the Leadership skill in JA3.

I liked the video to support, but not watching for now until I buy JA3 though :)

Thank you for the feedback. I think its quite difficult here to hit the right spot and everyones preferences are different. But actually I think the most common thing is to not announce yourself at the start but have like 20 seconds of "preview footage first", then announce yourself, and then do the actual content. I do that on my reviews, also to establish a brand. With the JA videos I just wanted to jump right into it, also because the videos are relatively short and I also don't see it as much of a "brand". I mean these are actually my most successful videos so far, so maybe I should have. But seems like plenty of people are subscribing anyways luckily. Especially on my German channel thats super helpful as I am getting close to the 1000 now ^^

Thank you for the feedback. I think its quite difficult here to hit the right spot and everyones preferences are different. But actually I think the most common thing is to not announce yourself at the start but have like 20 seconds of "preview footage first", then announce yourself, and then do the actual content. I do that on my reviews, also to establish a brand. With the JA videos I just wanted to jump right into it, also because the videos are relatively short and I also don't see it as much of a "brand". I mean these are actually my most successful videos so far, so maybe I should have. But seems like plenty of people are subscribing anyways luckily. Especially on my German channel thats super helpful as I am getting close to the 1000 now ^^
Yes, I think everyone likes different things which is why you should do whatever works. I just wanted to give my opinion ;)

It would be cool if you could do a video on wisdom as well. My observations is that it can make a very large, up to 3-4 times, impact on the result of training depending on the subject's wisdom. Also, given the fact that it can't be trained it is a difficult stat to increase and the only reasonable way to increase it seems to be through magazines or counter-inituitively having a high wisdom score compared to the rest of the squad (because the only person who gets increased skill is the one who passes the skill checks) or just running around by yourself.

In the screenshot below of one of my concurrent playthroughs you can see a bunch of people being trained by a person which both the teacher trait and a markmanship score of 90. Barry and Livewire went from 84 to 90 (gain of 6 points) when they both had 100 Wisdom. Meanwhile poor Larry on 60 Wisdom only had an increase of 2 points even though his marksmanship was only 70 (so he qualified for a maximum skill gain according to the icon on the training screen). Meanwhile MD and Kalyna only gained 2 points - they are still on their original wisdom scores - MD had a lower Marksmanship skill than Barry and Livewire so I was suprised he only gained 2 points as his starting wisdom is very high. I was quite suprised that characters could gain so many skill points at such a high starting score. Skills definately seem to increase vastly faster than attributes though.

20230725161046_1.jpg

In the second screenshot you can see my IMP merc going from 0 to16 skill points with 85 wisdom. The trainer does not have teacher trait and has 98 mechanics. At a guess skills increase faster if they are below a certain threshold?

20230725155052_1.jpg

I think Wisdom is a bit of a "niche" topic, where the basics are obvious and I already covered the "cant do training operations bit". More Wisdom lets you learn faster. And in the end, beyond that is more about formula, but would probably not change anything you do. It's also a specific playstyle if you set aside characters for weeks just to be trained, already kinda "ignoring" some game principles. If your mission is to make Reuben the next Mike, then you are likely not stopped by his low wisdom if you get what I mean.

I think Wisdom is a bit of a "niche" topic, where the basics are obvious and I already covered the "cant do training operations bit". More Wisdom lets you learn faster. And in the end, beyond that is more about formula, but would probably not change anything you do. It's also a specific playstyle if you set aside characters for weeks just to be trained, already kinda "ignoring" some game principles. If your mission is to make Reuben the next Mike, then you are likely not stopped by his low wisdom if you get what I mean.
Fair enough.

It is the reason that Livewire and her friends with high wisdom are the meta starting team currently though. They can be trained up to professional marksman level in 4-6 days on the first island and cost almost nothing while also covering all the bases i.e. explosives, mech, medical (and quite good base stats). Leadership would be one of the biggest reason some people are struggling with money but the other one would be is they are choosing more expensive mercs with both marksmanship and the supporting skills instead of the meta and saving a fortune.

Probably not the subject for a video but I think the balance of these low end mercs should be tweaked a bit. That could be done by reducing their agility/dex and wisdom. They are just too good for their price.

Back
Top Bottom