Pillars of Eternity - Massive Review Roundup

People at Paradox Interactive are doing the happy dance.

They had another big hit with Cities Skylines, which sold more than 500,000 copies at launch. Been a good couple of weeks for them.

Edit: I swear, I'm not sure preloading on Steam is even worth it. Seems to take just as long to decrypt the game as it does to download. *drums fingers while he waits*

Last edited:
Actually decrypt can take longer. There is no straight answer here because it depends on your inet, disk and CPU but for a spinning disk and 'fast'' processor you will likely see under 60Mb/s for the decrypt. Most USA inet is under 30Mb/s.

They had another big hit with Cities Skylines, which sold more than 500,000 copies at launch. Been a good couple of weeks for them.

Edit: I swear, I'm not sure preloading on Steam is even worth it. Seems to take just as long to decrypt the game as it does to download. *drums fingers while he waits*

Certainly is the golden age. I never thought we would see another in my lifetime but glad to be wrong.

OMG I'm loving this game in a "I hate you!" kind of way. I selected hard difficulty, and boy, I'm feeling it to the bones. I wonder if I'm just doing something I shouldn't be doing yet. The enemies I'm attacking are just too smart. They go for my squishy mage! (whoever said casters can tank well here... not my caster! he goes down faster than Paris Hilton's panties).

Had a blast till the game froze in the castle and wiped out all 3 of my save slots after I Ctrl + Alt + Deleted =(

Debating between starting over tonight or waiting for a patch.

Tons of fun from what I've played though. Does give me the BG vibe though. Well worth the money and the wait.

Had a blast till the game froze in the castle and wiped out all 3 of my save slots after I Ctrl + Alt + Deleted =(

Debating between starting over tonight or waiting for a patch.

Tons of fun from what I've played though. Does give me the BG vibe though. Well worth the money and the wait.

Ouch, man. Sorry to hear that. Haven't had a single problem yet myself, other than wondering whether helms do anything or are merely cosmetic and missing arrows and bolts. :p

But I'm also enjoying it…quite a bit. It is indeed very Baldur's Gatey. Like some of the new things very much, like the text adventures.

Example:
Liked how I could try to save the rogue in the beginning by throwing mu weapon at the guy about to kill him and then actually having lost my hatchet after the new scene opens. Love crap like that!

Also like the descriptive writing so far, the various injury states, fatigue and camping mechanic. I don't need much encouragement, but the game does seem to nudge you toward actually roleplaying your character, which is nice.

The enemies I'm attacking are just too smart. They go for my squishy mage! (whoever said casters can tank well here… not my caster! he goes down faster than Paris Hilton's panties).

Heh, I mentioned reading a few times how every character is a kind of battle mage. Glad to hear your mage is squishy. Maybe I'm not far enough into the game, but my chanter is feeling a bit too tough on normal. May have to bump it up to hard, but it's early still. Seems like the chanter is pretty battle magey…lots of stuff to bump up whatever your weapon choice is, not just a support role.

Not sure I'm in love with the character development. The attributes, at least, seem a bit of a middled mess. Maybe I'm just not familiar with it enough, but it's encouraging me to make a very balanced, kind of homogenized spread. I kind of miss my dump stats. But the rest of my enchanter seems to have enough variety to keep him interesting. I'm making a kind of necro chanter, and I can see a couple other routes to take, at least at this early stage.

Overall, my early impressions are that Obsidian has pretty much nailed it. I hope I continue to enjoy it as much as I have at the outset, since it'll probably take me forever to finish the game. :p

Congrats, Obsidian.

Edit: Oh, and I personally very much appreciate the slider for text size, as well as not locking down the size of the UI when lowering the resolution, in this text-heavy game. Good move there, Obsidian.

Last edited:
Interesting, I saved before trying that door again and quit the program. When I loaded it back up all the save slots are gone again. Not sure what's causing the issue exactly and all files verified correctly on Steam. Seems Raedric's Hold has caused problems for some people though, so might be worth avoiding till they patch it.

Edit: Well this bug seems to have infected my game for good now. Anytime I restart the game the saves are gone. Guess I'm stuck waiting for a patch :'(

Last edited:
OMG I'm loving this game in a "I hate you!" kind of way. I selected hard difficulty, and boy, I'm feeling it to the bones. I wonder if I'm just doing something I shouldn't be doing yet. The enemies I'm attacking are just too smart. They go for my squishy mage! (whoever said casters can tank well here… not my caster! he goes down faster than Paris Hilton's panties).

Especially enemies that have some sort of movement skill (Shadows can teleport etc). The mage in my party kept getting stomped to the point where I had to simply keep him away from the fight. I too was wondering if, perhaps, I should have had a full party at this point or perhaps simply have waited a bit.

At any rate, it's good fun so far!

Ouch, man. Sorry to hear that. Haven't had a single problem yet myself, other than wondering whether helms do anything or are merely cosmetic and missing arrows and bolts. :p

Yep. They'll have stats later on. I got one with +1 Resolve and +1 Perception or some such thing.

Certainly is the golden age. I never thought we would see another in my lifetime but glad to be wrong.

Exactly THIS!

And not only that, but some of the best recent games - Divinity Original Sin, Might & Magic X, Wasteland 2 and Pillars of Eternity - are all cross-platform and play very well on my Macbook Air so I can enjoy them without lugging my gaming laptop around!

Enjoying it so far ... :)

I read somewhere that Early Access was buggy and the combat was fast and difficult and not fun... I'm glad that the game was delayed and all the feedback was put into making this game a much better experience for everyone.

Especially enemies that have some sort of movement skill (Shadows can teleport etc). The mage in my party kept getting stomped to the point where I had to simply keep him away from the fight. I too was wondering if, perhaps, I should have had a full party at this point or perhaps simply have waited a bit.

You went into the temple, too, eh? I got as far as the second level before being forced to turn back. Not ready for that yet.

Interesting, I saved before trying that door again and quit the program. When I loaded it back up all the save slots are gone again. Not sure what's causing the issue exactly and all files verified correctly on Steam. Seems Raedric's Hold has caused problems for some people though, so might be worth avoiding till they patch it.

Edit: Well this bug seems to have infected my game for good now. Anytime I restart the game the saves are gone. Guess I'm stuck waiting for a patch :'(

Did you select Trial of Irons at some point?

I haven't reached that Hold yet, but I doubt the game deleted those saves unless you selected that option that deletes the save file when you die (and since you didn't die, doubt that's the issue).
Sounds more like it's not looking into your documents folder properly. I would do a global search in your computer to look for those files, I'm guessing they're there somewhere.

It would be more useful if you contacted Obsidian support. They might not even know about this problem or it might be fixed in another way.

Did you try to verify the installation (if you are on Steam)?

Did you select Trial of Irons at some point?
I'm also interested into more info about this bug - but not on the possible cause. It's impossible to poinpoint that based on only one report.
Saves are corrupted. A new game is started and now even those saves go bad?
I still don't have the game installed (said, I'm on uPlay doing my chores) but please browse game folders, check if there is some gamecache folder then empty it! Files in such folder will have recent date/time entries.

I'm also interested into more info about this bug - but not on the possible cause. It's impossible to poinpoint that based on only one report.
Saves are corrupted. A new game is started and now even those saves go bad?
I still don't have the game installed (said, I'm on uPlay doing my chores) but please browse game folders, check if there is some gamecache folder then empty it! Files in such folder will have recent date/time entries.

Trial of Irons delete saves upon death (and doesn't allow you more than one save too I believe). It could be bugged.

I know that the game kept my BB settings and I'm thinking of deleting them to restart fresh because some of the stuff my be conflicting.

Whatever Trial of Irons is, as I said I didn't install the game yet, once you start a new game it should not behave like that thing is active. That's why I suspect some cached data problem.

If it's some superhard difficulty setting, IMO a game that allows some "nightmarey" playthrough before a player finishes it on normal setting doesn't deserve 10/10 as it initially suggests that normal and hard are pathetic.

The game is excellent. Really sent me Baldur's Gate vibes. Graphics are top notch, soundtrack is engrossing, UI is clean and functional, plot and dialogues are excellent and combat just nails it.

Only some minnor quibbles as far as I'm concerned:

I have not been able to place custom markers on the map;

Cannot find shortcuts for the abilities. Clicking on the lower left corner every time I want to use an ability/spell might get old fast;

I wish all dialogues were just text without speech. I find myself going back to the texts in order to read body language and narrator remarks (grey font) because voiceovers skip these parts.

But nevertheless I'm absolutely loving it!

I find myself going back to the texts in order to read body language and narrator remarks (grey font) because voiceovers skip these parts.
That's indeed a design flaw that should have been solved differently.

Back
Top Bottom