Pillars of Eternity - Massive Review Roundup

I agree, Morrandir. It would have been nice to have an overall narrator read the grey text in the game!

Did you select Trial of Irons at some point?

Nope. The saves show up in the folder, but the game just doesn't recognize them for whatever reason.

It would be more useful if you contacted Obsidian support. They might not even know about this problem or it might be fixed in another way.

Did you try to verify the installation (if you are on Steam)?

Steam verified the install to be 100% twice now. Left a message on Obsidian's boards last night before I stopped for the night.

OMG I'm loving this game in a "I hate you!" kind of way. I selected hard difficulty, and boy, I'm feeling it to the bones. I wonder if I'm just doing something I shouldn't be doing yet. The enemies I'm attacking are just too smart. They go for my squishy mage! (whoever said casters can tank well here… not my caster! he goes down faster than Paris Hilton's panties).

i would play at hard or impossible difficulty on most rpgs now, but if its playing for Paris Hilton i would always go with hard only:p

I wanted to try to run it for 30 minutes in my very tight schedule, but ended up playing 2 hours that I couldn't spare.

I think they are hitting all the right notes. Tim Cain's influence is also very easily seen, I can't help but recognize Fallout elements. I also like that there are skillchecks and that they can come in handy in certain situations (even though it seems very basic).

The only thing I'm not very fond of is all the sections where you "read the story of an NPC's soul". It seems pretentious and pointless to me, like a way to artificially boost the content with pompous drivel that all look the same and tries to hard to be "profound". Also the lore looks a bit too pretentious for my liking. I'm losing my patience for "deep" high fantasy. This all seems very Sawyeresque.

Otherwise I have no complaints at all. It's obvious that working with the D&D license must be very limiting, as you must keep everything "PG". The other extreme is not necessarily good either, it becomes grating and obnoxious when the content is too "edgy" or "mature". It seems like a perfect balance, and the world has this kind of tragic beauty that reminds me of Icewind Deal and Torment a little bit.

And yes it is brutally difficult, but it's much better than a cakewalk, or something like Origins where all fights are with the same 3-4 enemy groups.

They had another big hit with Cities Skylines, which sold more than 500,000 copies at launch. Been a good couple of weeks for them.

Edit: I swear, I'm not sure preloading on Steam is even worth it. Seems to take just as long to decrypt the game as it does to download. *drums fingers while he waits*

the whole process for me was fast. did you install to an ssd?

The only thing I'm not very fond of is all the sections where you "read the story of an NPC's soul". It seems pretentious and pointless to me, like a way to artificially boost the content with pompous drivel that all look the same and tries to hard to be "profound".

That's backer NPCs.

That's backer NPCs.

Well it's pretty much exactly like in the Xbox 360 game Lost Odyssey. Except in that game they hired a professional writer and the short stories were actually really good.

That's backer NPCs.
Ah, ok... that means that (not) interacting with these NPCs doesn't have an influence on the plot it anything else?

Ah, ok… that means that (not) interacting with these NPCs doesn't have an influence on the plot it anything else?

I have no idea if the dev took some Backer NPCs to use them for more than figuration.

Those green circle NPCs have no impact on the story, but some of the stories they tell are wonderful. Don't miss them!

Some of the backer epitaphs on the memorials are funny, too. I make sure to read that stuff when I'm in the mood. :)

7/10, dissapointing battle system

Trolling in the very first post? You could at least try to create some smoke screen and set up some mirrors…

7/10, disappointing battle system
Well I probably shouldn't comment, but oh well here we go. I don't find the combat annoying at all, but sometimes I do turn off auto-pause to make it faster.

Now I know why so many members prefer turn-based RPG battle systems.
Trolling in a very first post? You could at least put some effort into i…
Well they have to start somewhere on our website.^^

Well I probably shouldn't comment, but oh well here we go. I don't find the combat annoying at all, but sometimes I do turn off auto-pause to make it faster.

Did you try 'S' to go in slowmo?

Well they have to start somewhere on our website.^^

I guess, but it kind of makes me wonder... is there a much room for growth in trolldom? :)

Did you try 'S' to go in slowmo?
Yes but I found that annoying as you have to hit S in every battle. Anyway don't get me wrong I'm enjoying the game, but some design decisions I don't agree with.

At least the space key lets you pause combat whenever you want.

Update
: I wont give the game a score yet as I haven't finished the game yet.

Last edited:
Yes but I found that annoying as you have to hit S in every battle.

There is an option for "auto-combat slowmo" (something like that) in the gameplay tab.

There is an option for "auto-combat slowmo" (something like that) in the gameplay tab.
Thanks for the tip I'll have to look at the game options again. I only played the game for a few hours last night because of the SFX bug, but I found a solution.:embarrassed:

Thanks for the tip I'll have to look at the game options again. I only played the game for a few hours last night because of the SFX bug, but I found a solution.:embarrassed:

You're welcome.

There is a lots of gameplay options and I suspect most people aren't aware of them.

It's called Combat Auto Slow and it's in Auto-Pause tab.

Back
Top Bottom