C2077 Ragequit Cyberpunk after 3 seconds

Cyberpunk 2077
I just started playing Cyberpunk today. Fortunately, I don't care too much about VO quality. Honestly a 12 year old could read it in a monotone voice and I'd be fine with it. Spent so many years reading my games like book that I'm happy with any VO, but obviously I appreciate a good one.

I did have unplayable stutter upon starting it up though. I ran the benchmark and it showed FPS of 63 min, 72 avg and 124 max with everything maxed out but the whole time it stuttered about every 5 seconds. Found the fix online. Had to disable full screen optimizations in the properties of the executable and now it runs perfectly smooth Max settings, max RT and 4k. Also, my receiver says it's giving me Dolby Atmos, which was a pleasant surprise. Looks and sounds excellent.

If all else fails, I suppose you could lower the dialogue sound all the way, but then you'd have to read NPC dialogue as well. Hopefully the mods work for you.

Restarted with my new voice and that was good, but ... I've played up to the point where you in the car and start the gun tutorial and so far I have been constantly frustrated!
I picked the Corpo background because I prefer a clean aesthetic vs the grungy vibe of Streetkid or Nomad. Starting to play there are very few options in dialog, so I am forced to be an asshole to continue... then I'm given a job I want no part in. I want to go to Abernathy and tell her everything but that isn't an option. Instead I think all my cyberwear is shut down?? I'm told that, and I pass out, but I haven't used any cyberwear up to this point and there was no visual glitching so other than what people were saying I have no indication of any change. Then there is this cutscene that confused the hell out of me. A montage started that I took for an opening credits scene with previews of action from the game to come, but then it ends with me in a car! What?! So now I guess that montage was a replacement for what should have been a chunk of gameplay?
I wanted to ease into my character by getting used to the area and people, doing some shopping, that kind of thing. Instead I've been railroaded from one situation to the next. I fully expect the world will open up at some point, but I hate the way things are going right now - it's like GTA ( a franchise I despise) in the worst way.

@Philistine

It's just a flash forward: a summary of what Jackie Welles and you lived together for a while, from the moment you accepted his deal to the time you got in that car for yet another gig. You take the control back from that point on.

At first glance, it looks like GTA, but it gets better. There's much more depth to it. And you're right, the world opens up quickly after that.

Yeah, don't worry, the beginning is just to give you some sort of background to your character. After that, it gets more and more open and you get free to pretty much ignore (up to a point) the main scenario of the game and play it the way you want to.

I don't understand why games constrain the player so much at the beginning. I had the same problem with Starfield. There, I wanted to go off and do some trading before fighting the first batch of pirates, but the game won't let you. I want to explore and get used to my character and the world BEFORE I start on the story.

A lot of people want some kind of context to their character and the world they're in at the start. I know I do. I enjoy sandbox games, but I don't play Minecraft; I have no interest in a context-less existence in a toybox.

I don't understand why people can't have a little patience to get through the start of the game to get context and then can do what they want. Pretty much any experience like this needs a foundation, a setting, some groundwork to set the stage. I love being able to go off and do my own thing in games but I can appreciate investing some time at the start to get a feel for the game and setting as it guides me a bit.

This applies to most games that have more of a cinematic experience, even with a lot of open world feeling to it. C2077 has a lot of open moments to do whatever but it will also have some dedicated rail roading for certain parts as that is the style of the game - so may not be for some people who simply want to be dumped in a large play ground to just do whatever. A lot of of the emotional power and impact of C2077 comes from the cinematic experience.

EDIT: There is always a balance with story and depth of a main character, like V, and how much freedom you get to do things. The game isn't a virtual play ground where you can be anyone you wish and do anything you wish, and have the world react tightly with that freedom. BG3, as an example, is a game that has a really good balance for this I think.

I will not be surprised to see another rage quit post when at the end of of the first act ... if they make it that far. I mean I like C2077 a ton but I also know it's certainly not for everyone. Its a mix of hand holding and cinematics (a lot of cut scenes) mixed in with some large periods of more open world exploring and picking what you want to focus on. But its very story driven IMO.

Last edited:
I don't understand why people can't have a little patience to get through the start of the game to get context and then can do what they want. Pretty much any experience like this needs a foundation, a setting, some groundwork to set the stage. I love being able to go off and do my own thing in games but I can appreciate investing some time at the start to get a feel for the game and setting as it guides me a bit.

This applies to most games that have more of a cinematic experience, even with a lot of open world feeling to it. C2077 has a lot of open moments to do whatever but it will also have some dedicated rail roading for certain parts as that is the style of the game - so may not be for some people who simply want to be dumped in a large play ground to just do whatever. A lot of of the emotional power and impact of C2077 comes from the cinematic experience.

I will not be surprised to see another rage quit post when at the end of of the first act ... if they make it that far. I mean I like C2077 a ton but I also know it's certainly not for everyone. Its a mix of hand holding and cinematics (a lot of cut scenes) mixed in with some large periods of more open world exploring and picking what you want to focus on. But its very story driven IMO.
It's very story driven if you want to. But it's also very easy to dump the main missions on the side and just do side quests, steal cars, walk around doing police calls, etc. Especially after you... leave the hotel.

I agree with you... the difference is I get my context by exploring so I can appreciate the story. When I'm dumped into the 'action' without getting used to the world first, I don't understand how it relates to anything. I'm completing KCD right now but wanted to tease myself before starting CP in earnest. KCD had a much more satisfying intro where you get to see your home village and meet everyone BEFORE the shit hits the fan. THEN you have context for everything that follows.

It's very story driven if you want to. But it's also very easy to dump the main missions on the side and just do side quests, steal cars, walk around doing police calls, etc. Especially after you... leave the hotel.

Oh aye, I figured I would give some warning that there is some more stuff that is cinematic driven where you can't go "Oh hey I don't want to do this and decide to head to the bar for a drink" while in the middle of that experience, and its a LONG one. I was glued to my monitor the whole time and it was an epic experience for me.

You can ignore a lot of the story after (even before but you are stuck in just Watson). I mean I have spent the last 50 hours with my current V doing nothing but fighting bad guys, exploring, cruising on my bike listening to tunes and taking screenshots, and having a blast. I do some gigs and side quests too. Now and then I will work on a main quest and slowly move the story along.

I agree with you... the difference is I get my context by exploring so I can appreciate the story. When I'm dumped into the 'action' without getting used to the world first, I don't understand how it relates to anything. I'm completing KCD right now but wanted to tease myself before starting CP in earnest. KCD had a much more satisfying intro where you get to see your home village and meet everyone BEFORE the shit hits the fan. THEN you have context for everything that follows.

Ah that makes more sense, thank you for that added detail. I would still say some patience goes a long way for a game like this - it does open up - but it also has some more situations where you won't have a lot of control.

😆 So my son came home from school and I told him about my frustration with the start of the game. I described the montage of random scenes that featured a briefcase, people I don't know, and T-shirts ... and decided to hunt it down on You-tube so he could see it himself. It is posted, titled "crime montage". I was like why is it called that?? He watched it and then spent 15 minutes breaking it down for me, so I could follow what was happening.

Yea, I would give it a bit longer before making snap decisions...the game really does open up later. You can follow the main story quests or just go off and do side quests or ignore both of them and just go roam around, whatever.

So I'm hacking for the first time. But is this hack impossible?? I tried 20 time becuase I thought I must be doing it wrong. There is only one "1C" in row 1, but then there are no "55" in that column.20240218112429_1.jpg

My son figured out for me that you don't have to pick "1C" first, you can select E9,1C,55 to get the "1C 55" sequence. Don't think that was in the tutorial. Also if you can pick the wrong number first, can you pad a number in the sequence? Would BD,1C,BD,FF be valid?

My son figured out for me that you don't have to pick "1C" first, you can select E9,1C,55 to get the "1C 55" sequence. Don't think that was in the tutorial. Also if you can pick the wrong number first, can you pad a number in the sequence? Would BD,1C,BD,FF be valid?
There are many things you won't find in a tutorial. I think you're supposed to figure it on your own, which is part of the fun in the hacker mentality. It's of no consequence, so don't hesitate to experiment.

BD,1C,BD,FF isn't valid because it doesn't include the sequence. You must have the required sequence without anything interrupting it. It doesn't matter if you add something in front, and anything you append will be ignored (in this case, the puzzle will simply close after 55). So, you could also have started with the 3rd column: 55, 1C, 55; or even with something longer: BD, 1C, E9, 1C, 55. But you can have a maximum of 5 numbers (empty cases at the top), nothing more.

Later, you'll see puzzles where you have to find several sequences. They'll work more or less in parallel. For example, the game may ask you 1C, 55 and 55, BD. You could start with the 1st column with E9, 1C, 55, BD. It will take 1C, 55 and 55, BD in parallel - no need to find 1C, 55 then another 55, BD.

Don't worry, it comes with a little practice. :)

@Philistine By the way, you'll also find some information about the game in the 'database', though I don't think they explain the puzzle above. In the game, press H to open the interface, then select Database:

database.jpg

I think it's mainly a collection of tips that are given in the game, in case you need to find them back. You'll also find all the characters you've met.

Also, that timer doesn't start until you push your first number. You can sit and stare at it for as long as you like - which was a great help for me.

The game is confusing at first. Don't worry about it! The game is also long - you'll have PLENTY of time to get your character established. Also, I think you might have gotten a complimentary copy of the tabletop rulebook. You can read that to get a handle on the state of affairs - though you should know that life has improved a bit since 2020. There's actually a middle class again and lots of people who dress comfortably instead of trying to dress in a way designed to make everyone fear them.

Back
Top Bottom